check out their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MyBlessedLittle...fref=photo

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
12-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Re: KY "un-schoolers" living off grid had their 10 kids removed
I want to see photos of their living arrangements.

I can see that some of the ideas behind unschooling would be attractive... learning through play, interaction with the world, etc..
But it seems extreme for that to be all there is when it comes to a child's education.
12-05-2015, 08:28 AM
RE: KY "un-schoolers" living off grid had their 10 kids removed
(12-05-2015 08:20 AM)mecanna Wrote:  I want to see photos of their living arrangements.

I can see that some of the ideas behind unschooling would be attractive... learning through play, interaction with the world, etc..
But it seems extreme for that to be all there is when it comes to a child's education.

There are photos in the linked article. They live in a makeshift shack and seem to be lying their asses off by making it about homeschooling and not about a lack of water and shelter. The Dad got arrested for getting into a heated argument at a neighbors well. Methinks there is something very rotten in denmark. Their oldest son has come out in favor of the state stepping in.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
12-05-2015, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015 08:39 AM by yakherder.)
I'm very much in favor of the concept of home schooling, properly implemented, but it can certainly be abused and children should still be held to academic standards. As it stands, the average home schooled kid mops the floor with most public educate kids in regards to test grades. There are, of course, exceptions in which the parents probably shouldn't have even been breeding in the first place.

I accept that we're likely all psychologically damaged in some way simply due to the fact that we exist in a modern society that is fundamentally different than the context in which our instincts evolved. But the reality is that it isn't going anywhere, and people need to learn how to live in it.

'Murican Canadian
12-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Re: KY "un-schoolers" living off grid had their 10 kids removed
Oh.. Big Grin Didn't notice that. I'm going to blame it on my tiny phone.
12-05-2015, 10:33 AM
From what I've read, there is a lot more behind this story than FBI arresting on the case of being 'home schooled'. Don't have any links right now, but I'd suggest taking this story with a great deal of skepticism.
12-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Too little info to form an opinion. I can see the shelter being inadequate in winter. Water is a big issue. We don't know what the kids have learned, if anything. They will be venturing out into the world and need to know shit. The first son was with a different mother and was removed because the father abused him. In what way - we do not know.

Not enough info. But it doesn't look good.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Interesting.

Their Facebook links to a blog. That blog links to a website they started. The latest post says they were finally back after not having a working computer for a year.

Why is this interesting to me?

The "blog" give homeschool links that are all online. Drinking Beverage

Now, let me clarify. I know a couple that do live off grid. They have running water and flush toilets. Hell, they even have lights and a dishwasher.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-05-2015, 11:34 AM
I was reading some of the comments in the facebook photos. I think if they can get a proper home in place (4 walls with insulation, roof, water, sanitation, and a kitchen, fire safety) - most places have a minimum amount of square footage needed per person --and since they have 10+ kids-- they would need to meet that as well.

once they meet the home reqirements, as long as there is no abuse, they could have the kids back. They should use the money raised on their plumbing but I bet that homeschool group will misdirect those funds into their coiffeurs.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-05-2015, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015 01:40 PM by Bucky Ball.)
If they're having their 11th kid, they use too much KY.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post