Kangaroos! Let me show them.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2013, 11:33 PM
RE: Kangaroos! Let me show them.
(26-10-2013 11:32 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  You may also get raped. They're quite horny. Smile
-- Max

im still in therapy.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 04:30 AM
(26-10-2013 09:20 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  One thing foreigners often ask is "do you have kangaroos in your backyard/main street/public library". The answer is, of course, "yes".

A mob of about 16 eastern grey kangaroos visit my yard each day. Once in the morning and once at dusk.

They are the epitome of punctuality.

Working on the presumption that it is ok to post pickchers, here are a couple:

An adult male (buck) and a joey:

[Image: kangaroo-25102013-1.jpg]

A separate shot of the joey:

[Image: kangaroo-25102013-2.jpg]

We also have a wombat who lurks around be since he is crepuscular (look it up) he's rarely seen and thus yet to be papped. He is HUEG however. We're talking Rosie O'Donnell squared.

Does anyone else get wildlife visiting their yards?

-- Max

Many, many years ago, a Koala wandered through my front yard once and then proceed down the street, climbing every Gum along his way, making sure to make his apparent discontent at their quality known to the world with an odd grumbling noise.

At my dad's place we frequently get Wattlebirds, Rainbow lorikeet, Magpie and Mudlark galor, occasionally skinks will come to call and rarely a Blue tongue might just meander through. A few days ago, I spotted what appeared to be a parrot (musta flown it's coop), we get Galahs flying overhead often too.
At my mother's it's much the same story, but with fewer lizards.

I don't live out far enough to see wild 'roos or wombats though; Woodcroft is a boring suburb, animal wise (it's a suburb, the fuck else is too be expected)..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
27-10-2013, 04:59 AM
(26-10-2013 09:20 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  ...

What's a yard?

Huh

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-10-2013, 05:25 AM
(27-10-2013 04:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 09:20 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  ...

What's a yard?

Huh

[Image: dblRainbow_s.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-10-2013, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2013 05:37 AM by Dom.)
I have tons of wild life.

Elk in the fall and spring, deer year around.

Canada geese year round (I know, they are supposed to migrate, no one told them), Wood ducks (super pretty), mallard ducks, a couple of other types of ducks spend the early spring here ( I have 2 ponds, one quite large).

I have possums, raccoons and skunks.

Then there are wild turkeys and there is peafowl that probably escaped some place but has been wild here for decades.

Last not least, coyotes, bears and cougars (mountain lions) pay the occasional visit.

Oh, and once in a decade or so families of river otters come and spend a couple of months and eat most of the catfish in the pond. I've come to realize that even so it makes the pond look like heck for a year (pond scum), it is a healthy cycle for it, it is crystal clear for years afterwards. And the catfish grow back...

I think that's it, apart from all kinds of smaller birds of course...oh, and the occasional squirrel.

There are 4 feral cats too, all of whom I trapped and had fixed and released and I feed them, they would not make it otherwise. They have gotten used to me now, but I can't touch them and when they hear or see other people they disappear.

People are surprised that I manage to grow both a flower garden and a veggie garden and none of the wildlife ever disturbs it. But they don't. They go eat other people's gardens. Probably my dogs play a role in this.

[Image: DSCF0306_zpsba34b719.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-10-2013, 05:35 AM
(27-10-2013 05:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have tons of wild life.

Canada geese year round (I know, they are supposed to migrate, no one told them), Wood ducks (super pretty), mallard ducks, a couple of other types of ducks spend the early spring here ( I have 2 ponds, one quite large).

Then there are wild turkeys and there is peafowl that probably escaped some place but has been wild here for decades.

Last not least, coyotes, bears and cougars (mountain lions) pay the occasional visit.

Oh, and once in a decade or so families of river otters come and spend a couple of months and eat most of the catfish in the pond. I've come to realize that even so it makes the pond look like heck for a year (pond scum), it is a healthy cycle for it, it is crystal clear for years afterwards. And the catfish grow back...

I think that's it, apart from all kinds of smaller birds of course...oh, and the occasional squirrel.

There are 4 feral cats too, all of whom I trapped and had fixed and released and I feed them, they would not make it otherwise. They have gotten used to me now, but I can't touch them and when they hear or see other people they disappear.

People are surprised that I manage to grow both a flower garden and a veggie garden and none of the wildlife ever disturbs it. But they don't. They go eat other people's gardens. Probably my dogs play a role in this.

Are you a Park Warden?

Shocking

27-10-2013, 05:36 AM
(27-10-2013 05:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 04:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  What's a yard?

Huh

[Image: dblRainbow_s.jpg]

That's not a yard.

That's a mile!

Blink

27-10-2013, 05:38 AM
(27-10-2013 05:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 05:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have tons of wild life.

Are you a Park Warden?

Shocking

I added a pic. Yes, I am warden of my own personal park. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-10-2013, 05:40 AM
(27-10-2013 05:38 AM)Dom Wrote:  ...
I am warden of my own personal park. Smile

That's a deepity.

Nice.

27-10-2013, 05:43 AM
[Image: backyard2.jpg]
"Kangaroos? Where? Not here?"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user