Kansas takes away teacher tenure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Kansas takes away teacher tenure
In another blow by my state's right wing legislature, the house and senate voted to abolish tenure for teachers. This was a rider to a school funding bill, and the right wingers wouldn't pass this funding bill without attaching their little pet project.

What does this mean?

If I teach something parents/school board/administration do not like(evolution), I can be fired at anytime and not be given any cause.

When I complete my master's degree and earn more money, I can be fired, without any cause given, for a newly out of college teacher that costs less.

My rights to freedom of speech are severely hampered. If it was found out that I was an atheist, I assure you that it would likely end up in me losing my job.

If a parent thinks I am unfair to their child in academics or in coaching and that parent raises a big enough fuss or has the right connections, I can be fired with no cause given.

Also, my state has passed legislation in at least one house that would allow for concealed carry anywhere--public buildings, bars, etc.

A couple months ago the house passed legislation allowing business owners the ability to openly discriminate against gay couples and have no legal problems.

A few months ago my state sent a letter to the EPA saying that they did not agree with the mandates imposed because 'climate-science' had lots of holes in it.

CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored

My brain has been fried. Seriously, What The Fuck?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
07-04-2014, 11:59 AM
RE: Kansas takes away teacher tenure
Wow, and people always say TX is so bad.

I had no idea Kansas was that crazy.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-04-2014, 12:01 PM
(07-04-2014 11:55 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  In another blow by my state's right wing legislature, the house and senate voted to abolish tenure for teachers. This was a rider to a school funding bill, and the right wingers wouldn't pass this funding bill without attaching their little pet project.

What does this mean?

If I teach something parents/school board/administration do not like(evolution), I can be fired at anytime and not be given any cause.

When I complete my master's degree and earn more money, I can be fired, without any cause given, for a newly out of college teacher that costs less.

My rights to freedom of speech are severely hampered. If it was found out that I was an atheist, I assure you that it would likely end up in me losing my job.

If a parent thinks I am unfair to their child in academics or in coaching and that parent raises a big enough fuss or has the right connections, I can be fired with no cause given.

Also, my state has passed legislation in at least one house that would allow for concealed carry anywhere--public buildings, bars, etc.

A couple months ago the house passed legislation allowing business owners the ability to openly discriminate against gay couples and have no legal problems.

A few months ago my state sent a letter to the EPA saying that they did not agree with the mandates imposed because 'climate-science' had lots of holes in it.

My sincerest sympathies. I thought I lived in a crappy country but what the fuck.

How is this a democracy? So much for the land of the free.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
07-04-2014, 12:10 PM
(07-04-2014 11:55 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  A couple months ago the house passed legislation allowing business owners the ability to openly discriminate against gay couples and have no legal problems.

This one was introduced, but I'm pretty sure they shot it down. But yeah, yay for kansas. Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-04-2014, 12:11 PM
*Note to self: Do not visit Kansas!!!

Wtf is wrong with these people.
07-04-2014, 01:01 PM
(07-04-2014 12:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 11:55 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  A couple months ago the house passed legislation allowing business owners the ability to openly discriminate against gay couples and have no legal problems.

This one was introduced, but I'm pretty sure they shot it down. But yeah, yay for kansas. Weeping

It was passed by the house by a WIDE margin. Something to the effect of 70% voted yes. It was not passed in the Senate after the outcry.

The fact that a huge portion of kansas politicians said 'yes' to this is disgusting.
[+] 2 users Like jaguar3030's post
07-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Please explain Tenure to a non murican, it seems like academic nepotism to me on the surface.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
07-04-2014, 01:37 PM
(07-04-2014 11:55 AM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  In another blow by my state's right wing legislature, the house and senate voted to abolish tenure for teachers. This was a rider to a school funding bill, and the right wingers wouldn't pass this funding bill without attaching their little pet project.

What does this mean?

I wish things hadn't come to this but here it is.

Our education system sucks. We spend more per pupil than any other western nation and still get lackluster results. It's reaching a breaking point and something has to be done.

It's hard to say but I think ending tenure for poor performing teachers is a step in the right direction. But it's but one thing of several that need to be done, including a serious bloodletting of administrative bureaucrats in the school systems as well as leaving a few obnoxious, disruptive children behind so we can concentrate on the process of educating the ones who really want to learn. It's gonna really take a lot of hard work and sacrifices to the the US public education system back on track.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
07-04-2014, 01:39 PM
(07-04-2014 01:01 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Please explain Tenure to a non murican, it seems like academic nepotism to me on the surface.

It kind of IS academic nepotism!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
07-04-2014, 08:34 PM
(07-04-2014 01:01 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  The fact that a huge portion of kansas politicians said 'yes' to this is disgusting.

Agreed, but it's not surprising. I'm actually relieved at the amount of sense that prevails here given who most of KS politicians are. It could be a lot worse.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco