Karen Carpenter..hummmmm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2015, 12:17 AM
Karen Carpenter..hummmmm
Of all the things. Rolleyes I watched a PBS program on The Carpenters. I was rather oblivious to their music when I was a kid. It was too soft and bland and just kind of a background elevator noise in the 70's and 80's. It was just, well... uninteresting. So imagine my surprise when I watched this PBS show and rather enjoyed Karen's singing and then googled a BBC special on the Carpenters and liked this too. Jesus! what's happened to me. Dodgy

I'd also forgotten that she played the drums and even sang while she played the drums. That couldn't have been easy.

Just sayin.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2015, 01:16 AM
RE: Karen Carpenter..hummmmm
(06-12-2015 12:17 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Of all the things. Rolleyes I watched a PBS program on The Carpenters. I was rather oblivious to their music when I was a kid. It was too soft and bland and just kind of a background elevator noise in the 70's and 80's. It was just, well... uninteresting. So imagine my surprise when I watched this PBS show and rather enjoyed Karen's singing and then googled a BBC special on the Carpenters and liked this too. Jesus! what's happened to me. Dodgy

I'd also forgotten that she played the drums and even sang while she played the drums. That couldn't have been easy.

Just sayin.

Hey that was The Wrecking Crew playing that music! Hal Blaine on drums!!!!!! Big Grin

Hal Blaine.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-12-2015, 09:44 AM
(06-12-2015 01:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 12:17 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Of all the things. Rolleyes I watched a PBS program on The Carpenters. I was rather oblivious to their music when I was a kid. It was too soft and bland and just kind of a background elevator noise in the 70's and 80's. It was just, well... uninteresting. So imagine my surprise when I watched this PBS show and rather enjoyed Karen's singing and then googled a BBC special on the Carpenters and liked this too. Jesus! what's happened to me. Dodgy

Just sayin.

Hey that was The Wrecking Crew playing that music! Hal Blaine on drums!!!!!! Big Grin

Hal Blaine.

So she didn't really play the drums? Except maybe in a passing, lightweight kind of way? Or, maybe in the beginning she played the drums?

I didn't know that much about Karen Carpenter except that she died from anorexia and had an alto voice. They had this soft, oddball sound in the middle of all the rock n roll of the 70's and 80's and my parents liked her which was enough for me to dislike their sound. Laugh out load

06-12-2015, 10:03 AM
I remember The Carpenters quite well, having been in high school during the time when they were making it big. Back then there was a real split between rock and pop - it was the difference between edgy and safe. The Carpenters were also part of that wave of family groups that were coming to prominence - The Jackson Five and The Osmond Brothers come to mind - I suppose you could add The Captain and Tennille to that group.

The Carpenters were definitely part of the soundtrack of my teens and early 20s but not one I feel the need to revisit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-12-2015, 10:49 AM

#sigh
06-12-2015, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2015 11:37 AM by GirlyMan.)
For the hobbit and near and the little hobbit baby and for Revenant and Escape Artist. ,,,

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-12-2015, 01:08 PM
(06-12-2015 10:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For the hobbit and near and the little hobbit baby and for Revenant and Escape Artist. ,,,

I didn't realize they had so many hit songs. I just didn't know. Confused

06-12-2015, 01:30 PM
I liked and still do their music, but I am also into Metallica and Ramones and Pat Benatar and of course ABBA, but not surprised they believed, most artists of any type of music have some sort of either liberal or conservative belief

Bjorn of ABBA is the only atheist of ABBA although he doesn't like calling himself that he still doesn't believe in a god at all.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2015, 01:42 PM
(06-12-2015 09:44 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So she didn't really play the drums? Except maybe in a passing, lightweight kind of way? Or, maybe in the beginning she played the drums?

Not so; she was a more than competent drummer, and is often quoted as saying she was "a drummer who could also sing". Her drumming was praised by fellow drummers Cubby O'Brien, Buddy Rich and ...Hal Blaine. Carpenter's voice was one of the best in the industry in the 1970s and Rolling Stone ranked her number 94 on their list of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
06-12-2015, 01:54 PM
(06-12-2015 01:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 10:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  For the hobbit and near and the little hobbit baby and for Revenant and Escape Artist. ,,,

I didn't realize they had so many hit songs. I just didn't know. Confused

It was almost a law in the late 70s and early 80s to have at least one of their songs either in a wedding or as one of the first songs at the reception.

A little weird to think those sappy love songs were sung by a brother and sister. Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat