Karen Carpenter..hummmmm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2015, 01:07 AM
RE: Karen Carpenter..hummmmm
(10-12-2015 09:06 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I like opera. Doesn't anybody here like opera?

Not enough percussive interest.

BTW, Vic Firth, timpanist for the Boston symphony and drumstick company owner died recently. I think he was with the orchestra for 50 years or so.

[Image: firth.jpg?sfvrsn=0]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-12-2015, 09:53 AM
(11-12-2015 01:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 09:06 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I like opera. Doesn't anybody here like opera?

Not enough percussive interest.

BTW, Vic Firth, timpanist for the Boston symphony and drumstick company owner died recently. I think he was with the orchestra for 50 years or so.

So Banjo, a timpanist for a symphony..what are all the things they do. Do they do the triangle thingys and bell like sounding doomajigs? (notice my fine technical words for these fine instruments)

Also, this ain't Karen Carpenter nor ABBA and it isn't opera but I love the drums in this piece of music.

And then in the 5th movement there is a guy playing actual big bells. Nowadays most people think of The Shining when they hear this music. I just love the entire Symphony Fantastique.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-12-2015, 02:29 PM
(11-12-2015 09:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 01:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Not enough percussive interest.

So Banjo, a timpanist for a symphony..what are all the things they do. Do they do the triangle thingys and bell like sounding doomajigs? (notice my fine technical words for these fine instruments)

Also, this ain't Karen Carpenter nor ABBA and it isn't opera but I love the drums in this piece of music.

And then in the 5th movement there is a guy playing actual big bells. Nowadays most people think of The Shining when they hear this music. I just love the entire Symphony Fantastique.

Good morning dances. Many percussion jobs such as triangle and tambourine may be shared amongst the members of the percussion section. Depends on the size and budget of the orchestra really.

Oh and there are many ways to play the triangle. In Brasilian music they use a very large triangle and there are many rhythms and techniques for it. There is also a particular Brasilian swing, what they call "swenge" (pronounced swen gay). I own two large Brasilian triangles. I love playing triangle.

This guy is using a small triangle, but you'll get the idea.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-12-2015, 02:46 PM
(11-12-2015 02:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 09:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So Banjo, a timpanist for a symphony..what are all the things they do. Do they do the triangle thingys and bell like sounding doomajigs? (notice my fine technical words for these fine instruments)

Good morning dances. Many percussion jobs such as triangle and tambourine may be shared amongst the members of the percussion section. Depends on the size and budget of the orchestra really.

Oh and there are many ways to play the triangle. In Brasilian music they use a very large triangle and there are many rhythms and techniques for it. There is also a particular Brasilian swing, what they call "swenge" (pronounced swen gay). I own two large Brasilian triangles. I love playing triangle.

That was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. It's such a simple little instrument but was used in a variety of ways. Thanks for that!

11-12-2015, 03:00 PM
(11-12-2015 02:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 02:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Good morning dances. Many percussion jobs such as triangle and tambourine may be shared amongst the members of the percussion section. Depends on the size and budget of the orchestra really.

That was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. It's such a simple little instrument but was used in a variety of ways. Thanks for that!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Being a drummer/percussionist was my profession after all. So I should know it. I am getting ready to go and play all day. I am fully booked. Sadly I am only strong enough to do one day per week. I did manage 14 hours on the pad over two days though. Plus I practiced pandeiro for a few hours. Do you know the pandeiro? It is one of my favourite instruments. The pandeiro is often played alongside the triangle.

Banjo.
11-12-2015, 03:36 PM
(11-12-2015 03:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-12-2015 02:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  That was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. It's such a simple little instrument but was used in a variety of ways. Thanks for that!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Being a drummer/percussionist was my profession after all. So I should know it. I am getting ready to go and play all day. I am fully booked. Sadly I am only strong enough to do one day per week. I did manage 14 hours on the pad over two days though. Plus I practiced pandeiro for a few hours. Do you know the pandeiro? It is one of my favourite instruments. The pandeiro is often played alongside the triangle.

How amazing! Thumbsup I always wonder why some people have natural rhythm and others don't. I wonder if it can be taught or whether there has to be some sort of brain body connection already wired up from before birth. My dad played the piano from the time I was a baby until just before he died at 95 so I think I have rhythm from the music he played. It was mostly classical or sometimes show tunes but still there is a beat to the music. Once in a while he'd use a metronome to get the timing just right on a piece of music. I loved playing with that metronome when I was a kid since I didn't really have any toys. I'd make it go super fast or very slow and I loved it's clicking rhythmic sound.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post