Karma
Post Reply
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
17-02-2011, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2011 03:38 AM by Buddy Christ.)
Karma
Here's the deal. I believe in karma. And my belief in it is based around the typical, irrational, theistic logic that I spend my free time mocking; in that my definition of the term is loosely based and my proof is purely anecdotal. Like when a Christian says, "well this is what Christianity means to me and my proof for it is this random occurrence that I've labeled a miracle."

I don't mean karma as some spiritual energy or some Hindu cycle of life. I just mean karma as in "what comes around goes around." The "if you make fun of retards, you will have kids that make Sarah Palin's kids look like intellectual titans" karma.

And the proof for my beliefs is the same "life story interpretation" nonsense that theists turn to when they run out of Fox News talking points (such as "tide goes in, tide goes out"). A few years ago, I found a credit card and used it to fill up my gas tank... a month later, I dropped my credit card on the street and had 300 dollars in charges run up on it within a week. I made fun of my brother's acne, now I'm 28 and I still have acne. Me and my friends ran out of gas in the middle of Nowhere, Germany so we stabbed a few peoples gas tanks and used a gatorade bottle to transfer fuel to our car. Week later someone sideswiped me and took off my side mirror.

Just a lifetime of things like that, so I am forced to believe in karma against my logic. As far as what I think causes it, probably just circumstance and not recognizing all the other times I did good or bad things with no consequence. I am also prone to that kind of mentality, for instance if I'm getting bad beats in poker, I'll try wearing different hats or I'll arrange things in my room differently. If my basketball team is falling behind, I'll start doing random activities until I find one that changes my/their luck.

But as far as some ultimate power or flow of energies, I still hold those to be about as cogent as the "healing power" of magnets.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 03:48 AM
RE: Karma
Soooo ... is this post supposed to represent sarcasm , cynicism or humor ? Tongue

I agree with karma when it comes to human society , hand down - you are dick , you get treated like a dick. When it comes to random events I can't feel that it doesn't apply.
Isn't it your guilt creating an association between random events ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 03:55 AM
RE: Karma
Human inventions always have a way of making sense =p

You cant disprove this idea though since if you focus on not doing assholeish things you won't hav anything to correlate the oncoming stream of bad shit that happens, so there is no way for you to disprove this. Just accept that at some point every human being accepts some half brained scheme so they don't have to think about too many things.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 04:37 AM
RE: Karma
Have you counted the times when you've done something bad and 'karma' let's you go with it?
Quote:The "if you make fun of retards, you will have kids that make Sarah Palin's kids look like intellectual titans" karma.
You do something bad, and your kids have to pay for it. Makes perfect sense.
Quote:I am also prone to that kind of mentality, for instance if I'm getting bad beats in poker, I'll try wearing different hats or I'll arrange things in my room differently. If my basketball team is falling behind, I'll start doing random activities until I find one that changes my/their luck.
How do you find one that ''changes your luck''? You try 5 things, each 1000 times, write down the statistics and compare them? Or do you just choose the random activity, that you were doing when ''your luck changed'', to be the causer of the ''change of luck''?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 09:15 AM
 
RE: Karma
That's silly. While good things do happen to good people, it's self-fulfilling. They do good things, and other people help them back. They're more friendly, so they're more inclined to be helped or receive random generosity. The opposite is also true.

Thought you can't equate random events with that sort of karma. Sometimes I'll buy something from a vending machine and leave it in the machine for the first person to come along and grab it. But that person may have just studied hard, or slacked off, I dunno.

You getting acne has nothing to do with you making fun of your brother's acne. It is related to a number of reasons: diet, genetics, exercise, and sleep.
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 12:41 PM
RE: Karma
(17-02-2011 03:48 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Soooo ... is this post supposed to represent sarcasm , cynicism or humor ?

My posts always contain a little bit of everything. Like a linguistic buffet of random intent. I'm poking fun at the irony that my atheism shield has been breached by irrational and anecdotal beliefs.


(17-02-2011 04:37 AM)Kikko Wrote:  How do you find one that ''changes your luck''? You try 5 things, each 1000 times, write down the statistics and compare them? Or do you just choose the random activity, that you were doing when ''your luck changed'', to be the causer of the ''change of luck''?

Apparently, you're not a gambler. The gambling world is the champion of logical fallacies; luck, voodoo, chi, positive energy. When you have a thousand dollars riding on whether or not a ball catches a lucky bounce and lands in the hoop, you tend to shotgun blast as many things as possible, logical or not.

I'll tilt my hat in different directions, take it off, put on some sunglasses, move my chair to another spot, pick up some poker chips and ruffle them, switch from mountain dew to beer, watch a different youtube video than the "unlucky" one I've been watching. All gamblers do it, but it's like a short term belief that only lasts until the game is won or lost. No one is going to go out afterwards and try and convince anyone that their sunglasses worn at a slight tilt can alter outcomes.

It's the one thing in my life I let past my bullsh!t detectors. And in keeping with the nonsense theist response comparisons, karma keeps me from doing bad things like stealing someone's credit card again ("god provides a moral compass which keeps people from doing bad things, so religion is a good thing" ...sound familiar?)

Ah the irony is so thick I wanna rape it, then stab it in the chest with an old shoe.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 01:32 PM
RE: Karma
Quote:Apparently, you're not a gambler.
Yep, can't even enjoy a slot machine 'cause I know I won't win in the long run.Dodgy
Quote:All gamblers do it, but it's like a short term belief that only lasts until the game is won or lost. No one is going to go out afterwards and try and convince anyone that their sunglasses worn at a slight tilt can alter outcomes.
That's weird. So rational thought is automatically turned off when gambling (well, that's obvious. You're gambling after all)? But how is it possible to believe in that stuff while gambling, but not normally? Makes no sense.
Quote:And in keeping with the nonsense theist response comparisons, karma keeps me from doing bad things like stealing someone's credit card again ("god provides a moral compass which keeps people from doing bad things, so religion is a good thing" ...sound familiar?)
Yep, sounds familiar, so I'll respond in the familiar way: So karma is the only thing that keeps you from stealing someone's credit card? So if you wouldn't believe in karma you would steal someone's credit card?
Please don't answer 'yes', you're Buddy Christ after all.
Quote:Ah the irony is so thick I wanna rape it, then stab it in the chest with an old shoe.
Nononono, think what karma would do to you after that.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 02:18 PM
RE: Karma
(17-02-2011 01:32 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:Apparently, you're not a gambler.
Yep, can't even enjoy a slot machine 'cause I know I won't win in the long run.Dodgy
Quote:All gamblers do it, but it's like a short term belief that only lasts until the game is won or lost. No one is going to go out afterwards and try and convince anyone that their sunglasses worn at a slight tilt can alter outcomes.
That's weird. So rational thought is automatically turned off when gambling (well, that's obvious. You're gambling after all)? But how is it possible to believe in that stuff while gambling, but not normally? Makes no sense.
Quote:And in keeping with the nonsense theist response comparisons, karma keeps me from doing bad things like stealing someone's credit card again ("god provides a moral compass which keeps people from doing bad things, so religion is a good thing" ...sound familiar?)
Yep, sounds familiar, so I'll respond in the familiar way: So karma is the only thing that keeps you from stealing someone's credit card? So if you wouldn't believe in karma you would steal someone's credit card?
Please don't answer 'yes', you're Buddy Christ after all.
Quote:Ah the irony is so thick I wanna rape it, then stab it in the chest with an old shoe.
Nononono, think what karma would do to you after that.

I'm aware of all the different house edges and I only play the "winnable" gambling activities... such as poker and sports betting.

And yes, after you've used all your logic and knowledge and studying of other teams and trends and probabilities and narrowed it down and make your 2 or 3 best bets... you don't really need logic after that. The choice is already locked in and you're just along for the ride now. So you turn to luck or any new age hunk of crap you can grasp. Plus it helps pass the time. Once people start killing each other in the name of the karma gods, I'll change my ways.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 03:17 PM
RE: Karma
(17-02-2011 03:34 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Here's the deal. I believe in karma. And my belief in it is based around the typical, irrational, theistic logic that I spend my free time mocking.
So?
Believing crazy shit is what makes you HUMAN! You're not some never miscomputing ROBOT! Yet the fact that you realise this will enable you to prevent it from carrying you away.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 07:43 PM
RE: Karma
To me, Karma is no different than any other irrational belief. I reject it until there is reliable evidence indicating it is fact. I have yet to see any. Let's remember though that Karma is a "supernatural" idea. I firmly believe that you reap what you sow, but that's because logic dictates it. If I am kind to a person, they are more likely to be kind in return, and further, if I am kind in general, I will generally receive kindness. Same goes for negative things I do. The balance we find in life is logical. It's not some mysterious force that balances what we do.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply
Forum Jump: