Kaspersky - Russian spies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Kaspersky - Russian spies?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/russian-firm-fb...d=47335246

Quote:In February, the Department of Homeland Security issued a secret report on the company. And just last month, in a secret memorandum sent to Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Senate Intelligence Committee raised possible red flags about Kaspersky Lab and urged the intelligence community to address potential risks posed by the firm’s powerful market position.
"This [is an] important national security issue," declared the bipartisan memorandum, described to ABC News by congressional sources.

Quote:Kaspersky Lab products are widely used in homes, businesses and government agencies throughout the United States, having secured contracts with the Federal Bureau of Prisons and segments of the Defense Department.
Current and former U.S. officials expressed concern over Kaspersky Lab executives with previous ties to Russian intelligence and military agencies. The company’s founder and chief executive officer, Eugene Kaspersky, was trained at a coding academy sponsored by the KGB.

This came up in congress today, so I thought I'd look it up.

I don't use Kaspersky myself, but I know it's popular and considered a good product.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-05-2017, 02:38 PM
RE: Kaspersky - Russian spies?
Everyone who graduated in computer security in Russia before 1990 was probably trained by KGB since that was the only security agency at all back then. And this concern is complete nonsense, it's like being afraid that a Sony phone will send data to japanese intelligence - a russian company is entirely separate from the russian government, just like a USA company is independent from the US' government. The blatant russophobia is bound to further damage diplomatic relations and congress needs to be wiser than to jump on the bandwagon.

The end of the world only hurts those who have something to lose.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
12-05-2017, 02:52 PM
(11-05-2017 12:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't use Kaspersky myself, but I know it's popular and considered a good product.

On the same lines as suspecting any American product has a nice backdoor to the NSA. I mean it's even probable, given Snowden's informations and the ensuing scandals including large phone companies as well as other business.

I'm not as naive as thinking that any electronic product or software can't be abused. I don't go into paranoid mode either.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
12-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Well, no one is going to stand for more war... if they want that, they'd be at the business of the pitchfork outside their DC offices.

Nope, gotta find a way to monetize the cyberwar. Keep the masses chasing the dream we sell and let them think they're doing their patriotic duty.

Ooh, I should run to the dollar store. Surely by now, someone has made a magnetic "car ribbon" for this.
I bet it's all tech like or even a hologram!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein