Kathy's bad joke, OP/ED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 05:53 AM
Kathy's bad joke, OP/ED
Lets get real here, there has never been in our country's history where supporters of ANY party made ill advised comments, serious or not.

I can remember back in 2002 or 03 where an atheist board member had an avatar of Bush in the cross hairs. I said made it clear to that idiot that it was NOT appropriate or even funny. But it seems the right forgets all the followers who implied threats implying lynching and burning of Obama. Least we forget Ted Buttnugget's comments about being arrested or dead if Obama got elected again.

Here is the difference, Trump was making those "implications" and "jokes" while running. It is bad enough any president gets threats. You protect the concept of the office, the concept of peaceful transfer of power, and that is why POLITICIANS especially should NOT be implying or joking.

Kathy was wrong yes. Just as wrong as that idiot with the avatar. But it is far more dangerous when a politician does it. It was NOT ok for 45 to make his "2nd Amendment" comment. It also was not ok for him to imply congratulations to the assault of a reporter.

Anyone who has worked in law enforcement from the FBI to Secret Service for decades can tell you both sides have civilians who make either real threats, or bad "jokes". But again, when a politician does it, that is politically toxic.

I hate Trump, not our Constitution. It is ok to blaspheme either party's leaders but the politicians themselves should not be implying threats or even "joking". Kathy apologized as she should. Trump has absolutely NO excuse being in office.

What makes Trump dangerous, isn't just that 2nd Amendment comment, but that he was running when he said it. Add to it the repeated demagoguery and scapegoating of minorities, religions, sitting judges, even military service, and attacks on media and intel.

It is bad enough a private citizen makes real threats, or that they even make bad jokes. But it is toxic when a politician, especially at the top levels does the same. Trump has no room to talk after vile thing he has said and implied and joked about. NOBODY should be doing that, but especially not a politician, and to say what Trump did running isn't the same is bullshit.

Trump is too selfish to understand in a position of political power to understand that his followers did listen to him and did take his "2nd Amendment" comment seriously. But just like all the other vile crap he said, it wasn't one "gaff" or "I was only joking", but his repeated cop out when called out.

If Trump wants Kathy held responsible, and she already apologized as she should and did, then his supporters and his party should have demanded even a higher standard, but like cowards took the win regardless of the dangerous divisions his run has caused.

Both Kathy and Ted were wrong, YES. But it becomes far more dangerous when those same implications are made while running for office or while in office.

I despise Trump, but especially for his toxic political vilification. He is not a private citizen. If Hillary or Obama had made the same "jokes" about him, the GOP would be screaming murder. It is bad enough private citizens may do this, and unfortunately they always have. But it is absolutely inexcusable for anyone running for office or in office to do it. He did that, neither Hillary or Obama did that.

That is what is different this time.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2017, 06:42 AM
RE: Kathy's bad joke, OP/ED
Kathy ???

Context please.

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
01-06-2017, 06:51 AM
(01-06-2017 06:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Kathy ???

Context please.

Dodgy

What context, I am sorry you don't get it, but it is quite clear and obvious.

It is bad enough that civilians who follow either party make threats or bad jokes, but it is far worse when a politician, especially a presidential candidate does it. TRUMP did just that. Now I hope you are not going to try to claim he did not. HE DID.

I could give one fuck less if he AFTER THE FACT wanted to chalk it up to a joke. He made comments about resorting to the 2nd Amendment in reference to Hillary on his campaign. If that were merely one comment, you might find it forgivable if he had apologized, but chalking it up to a joke is not an apology.

You add to that comment, his attacks on entire religions, entire races, attacks on sitting judges and even military service, and intel, it makes it clear what his intent was. To destroy, not with substance, not with facts, but vile demagoguery.

Obama never resorted to that, not even Mitt Romney or Bush Jr.

THAT is your context, If you are excusing Trump then no sorry, you are part of the problem.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
01-06-2017, 07:15 AM
(01-06-2017 06:51 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 06:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Kathy ???

Context please.

Dodgy

What context, I am sorry you don't get it, but it is quite clear and obvious.
THAT is your context, If you are excusing Trump then no sorry, you are part of the problem.

Please step out of your American bubble for a second and remember this is an international forum.

I'll rephrase ... who is Kathy? Kathy who?

Context please.

Unsure

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
01-06-2017, 07:40 AM
(01-06-2017 07:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 06:51 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  What context, I am sorry you don't get it, but it is quite clear and obvious.

Please step out of your American bubble for a second and remember this is an international forum.

Context please.

Unsure

Kathy Griffin. There was a photo posted of her holding a fake bloody Trump head as if he was decapitated.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
01-06-2017, 07:48 AM
(01-06-2017 07:15 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 06:51 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  What context, I am sorry you don't get it, but it is quite clear and obvious.

Context please.

Unsure

No sorry, if all I have is "Context please" that is ambiguous.

If you had asked "Who is Kathy" I would have told you she is an American comedian who just made a horrible video holding a fake decapitated head of Trump.

Kathy Griffin. I get that many people don't know who she is, even many Americans don't so it is not just you or non Americans.

The point regardless is that Trump as a politician vilified multiple groups and made comments about Hillary in his run implying his followers should take up arms against her. If it is not ok for Kathy to even "joke" about harm to a politician, then it is completely inexcusable for a politician to do it.

GOP supporters were for 8 years ignoring their supporters depicting Obama being hung, burned, and very little to no call by the top to condemn those horrible depictions. The top of their party again, said little to nothing when washed up rock star Ted Buttnugget made similar doomsday comments about implying violence if Obama won a second term.

We as liberals DO condemn in no uncertain terms what Kathy Griffin did was wrong, even as a mere joke. But Trump is still using toxic language calling Hillary "crooked" still today. He never apologized for his 2nd Amendment "joke". And is still scapegoating journalists even to the point of implying congratulations to the Montana politician ARRESTED for assaulting a reporter.

Again, the point of the OP/ED is to say, it is bad enough ANY president in our history gets threats, or that anyone makes bad jokes implying violence. It is different this time because Trump is bringing that toxic rhetoric into politics.

Nobody has to like either Hillary or Trump, but only one of them has been implying violence to a political rival then pawning it off as a joke.

01-06-2017, 08:02 AM
(01-06-2017 07:40 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  ...
Kathy Griffin. There was a photo posted of her holding a fake bloody Trump head as if he was decapitated.

Thank you. Although this still requires some googling.

(01-06-2017 07:48 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  ...
No sorry, if all I have is "Context please" that is ambiguous.

If you had asked "Who is Kathy" I would have told you she is an American comedian who just made a horrible video holding a fake decapitated head of Trump.

Kathy Griffin. I get that many people don't know who she is, even many Americans don't so it is not just you or non Americans.

I suspect that you didn't get that or my "Kathy ???" would have been a sufficient nudge.

But thanks for clarifying.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-06-2017, 08:11 AM
As much as I don't like Trump, I do think it was in extremely bad taste-especially given the state of current events. KG likes to push the envelope as a comedian and I am a fan of hers, however, she went too far on this one, imo. That said, if Trump wants to be treated with respect and dignity, he needs to extend that to other people as well.
01-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Griffin's infantile stunt does little to improve public discourse.

I'm glad she's been fired.

As much as I despise Trump, she went much, much too far.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
01-06-2017, 08:22 AM
What right do we have in the US if not the right to be patently distasteful? It's the only "industry" where we still lead the world, lol.

The decapitated Trump picture is certainly no worse than all the pics of people hanging and burning effigies of Obama; which happened a LOT.