Keep car or trade and lease. What do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2014, 11:50 AM
RE: Keep car or trade and lease. What do?
(27-05-2014 11:45 AM)wazzel Wrote:  We have not had any car note in over a year and what we have been able to do with the extra money is great. I have an 08 mazda 3 and I hope I can get 4 more years (10 total) out of it.

Yup, just make sure to put some of that money away for the sometimes unexpected repair, and you'll be fine. Wink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
27-05-2014, 11:58 AM
(27-05-2014 11:50 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 11:45 AM)wazzel Wrote:  We have not had any car note in over a year and what we have been able to do with the extra money is great. I have an 08 mazda 3 and I hope I can get 4 more years (10 total) out of it.

Yup, just make sure to put some of that money away for the sometimes unexpected repair, and you'll be fine. Wink

We have been and will be using some of it. My AC went out last week. It is in the shop getting fixed now. Less than 2 months worth of notes and I will be back on the road.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
27-05-2014, 12:06 PM
(27-05-2014 11:58 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 11:50 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Yup, just make sure to put some of that money away for the sometimes unexpected repair, and you'll be fine. Wink

We have been and will be using some of it. My AC went out last week. It is in the shop getting fixed now. Less than 2 months worth of notes and I will be back on the road.

Good show Thumbsup Having been in the auto repair business for over 40 years, I've recomended that line of thinking for quite a while.

I wouldnt have been a good new car salesman, besides my sunny disposition. Blush

27-05-2014, 12:14 PM

What War Horse said, plus, keep setting aside payments for your next car. You're already planning on needing one in four years. At that rate, you can have well over half of it paid off, and you won't have to pay any interest on these four years of "payments".
28-05-2014, 05:23 AM
(26-05-2014 07:08 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Keep 2011 Nissan Sentra 2.0SL w/ 41k miles at 357/month?

Or

Trade in and lease 2014 Ford Fusion Energi plug in hybrid for 36 months at 387/month?

Sentra has leather, blue tooth, power. No power seat or auto headlights.

Fusion has 106mpge with leather, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, bluetooth, nav, sunroof, self park, heated/cooled seats, etc.

Sentra has about 24 payments left at 0%.

I really love the Fusion. But I really like the idea of owning the Sentra and having a paid off car. Thing is, the Sentra will need new tires soon and will be out of warranty when it's paid off.

Always lease a deprecating asset for as long as you can with the lowest interest payment you can.

A car is not an investment. You want to pay the least amount of money over the lifetime of the contract (even with overpayment for mileage penalties).

Unless you are talking about buying certified used cars. New cars to new cars it's better to lease. New car lease to a used car, the better choice is to buy the used car. A car loses 30% of its value when it's driven off the lot.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
28-05-2014, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 05:33 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(26-05-2014 07:08 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Keep 2011 Nissan Sentra 2.0SL w/ 41k miles at 357/month?

Or

Trade in and lease 2014 Ford Fusion Energi plug in hybrid for 36 months at 387/month?

Sentra has leather, blue tooth, power. No power seat or auto headlights.

Fusion has 106mpge with leather, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, bluetooth, nav, sunroof, self park, heated/cooled seats, etc.

Sentra has about 24 payments left at 0%.

I really love the Fusion. But I really like the idea of owning the Sentra and having a paid off car. Thing is, the Sentra will need new tires soon and will be out of warranty when it's paid off.

Keep the Sentra, Nissans (like Hondas) will run forever if you take care of them right.

(27-05-2014 12:06 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I wouldnt have been a good new car salesman, besides my sunny disposition. Blush

Same here, I'm just too fucking honest. I suppose I could be a good salesman if I was selling a good product that I could be genuinely enthusiastic about (like Honda motorcycles), and do so without being predatory. But I couldn't live with myself lying to sell shit to people day in and out. Probably also why I'm not a politician. Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
28-05-2014, 05:38 AM
(26-05-2014 07:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fuck it, get a hummer!

Tongue

O jeez, no, no, boo. You must be an American!

Straight out of Compton, do you mean California? I was born in Englewood, lived in Englewood, Compton, Lawndale, often walked through Watts, and there for a couple of years I sported a surfboard and lived in Huntington beach--all in the 60s early 70s.

Don't people boo hummers in California?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
28-05-2014, 05:58 AM
I'd rather drive a front end loader than a Hummer, it'd be easier to maneuver and cheaper on fuel. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
28-05-2014, 06:12 AM
(28-05-2014 05:38 AM)Dee Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 07:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Fuck it, get a hummer!

Tongue

O jeez, no, no, boo. You must be an American!

Straight out of Compton, do you mean California? I was born in Englewood, lived in Englewood, Compton, Lawndale, often walked through Watts, and there for a couple of years I sported a surfboard and lived in Huntington beach--all in the 60s early 70s.

Don't people boo hummers in California?

Hummers are just as terrible on gas as all of those supercars being driven by the investment bankers and silicon valley execs.

Boeing 747 (commercial airliner) - 5 mpg

Bugatti Veyron (1,200HP, 2.5 million dollar supercar) - 7 mpg city, 13 mpg highway

Hummer H1 Alpha (the original 7,000 pound monster) - 8 mpg city, 12 mpg highway

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]