Keep returning to Religon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2014, 05:56 AM
RE: Keep returning to Religon
(27-11-2014 03:27 AM)JohnAB101 Wrote:  Hi,

I need some help, I'm struggling on why I have the need to keep returning to religion. I became a Christian in 2008 but after a couple of years of investigation into the history etc, decided that it was untrue and seemed to be a method of control and myth. I identified myself as an atheist but I still feel a calling back to Christianity. Logically I can understand the reasons why I don’t believe and turned away from religion. Despite this however, I still feel the need to continue the search and seem unable to rest in the thought that there is no god.

I’m wondering if there’s anyone else who has similar experience of longing to find the answers to life through religion.

Hey there, darlin'! Think quite a handful of us that made the switch from believing we live a life supervised by an all-powerful being to knowing we're the only one to guide ourselves have had this sort of problem. After all, there is some comfort in thinking someone will pick us up when we fall flat on our ass. Also, in all honesty, it becomes a habit to think that there is an god and to cling to teachings when we discover facts that counter old doctrine so those things pop up as you leave when you least expect it. Sometimes it never really goes away completely. Like I'll be somewhere doing something and I'll think, "I need to pray," to which I say to me, "we don't do that nomore," and I think, "oh yeah."

I fear the only real solution I got for you is time and work. Yeah, its what the other (non-troll) people have said but it is what it is. Look up articles, podcasts, blogs, anything about various things. Don't just listen/read, think along with it. Ask questions in your mind or decide why it makes sense to you (or doesn't). Apply to whatever old beliefs pop into your noggin. What I also did was go to church and listen when I visited in the summer to meet old buddies. While the person was giving their talk/sermon/lesson, I'd debate with them in my head. Basically pick what they said apart and explain to myself how I knew they were wrong. Take notes if you want if you try that out so you have those thoughts to reflect back on.

What you might wanna do is pinpoint what about Christianity draws you in. Write it down. Might help if you see it than just think it. Then tackle those things one at a time. For instance, since you mentioned it, why do you find unrest in the thought of there not being a god? Break that down. Sometimes you gotta break down that heap of wood you screwed together and rebuild to get a lovely computer desk that looks like the picture on its box. So think of why you troubled at there not being a god and find answers for why you don't. You can ask others their ideals and implement if needbe, just as long as it is an idea that clicks true for you. It's your life so the answers need to be right for you. Something that you can say, " that makes sense," and feel comfort by its sensefulness/truthfulness.

Tl;dr: time and research. Or blood, sweat and tears. Maybe love, peace and chicken grease, too.

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
28-11-2014, 09:55 AM
I want to remind everyone that this section is not a place for discussion or proselytizing. I split the offending posts into a different thread for now.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-11-2014, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2014 03:57 PM by kim.)
(28-11-2014 05:56 AM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  

I need some help, I'm struggling on why I have the need to keep returning to religion.
-----
Something that you can say, " that makes sense," and feel comfort by its sensefulness/truthfulness.
-----

Yes! Thumbsup

The thing is John, the human brain is hardwired to recognize comfy things and scary things. Either one might hurt us but we are most likely to run from the scary thing and toward the comfy thing. It is a natural response.

Growth beyond the boogeyman can be difficult but such struggle is worth the self satisfaction, security and comfort achieved through reason, logic, and a practical sense of ethics, tempered by empathy and compassion.

So many here have continued their own struggles and taking charge of one's own mind takes time to get the hang of. Stick around and learn from people just like you who walk a similar path.

They and you, are the brave ones.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
28-11-2014, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2014 09:32 PM by GirlyMan.)

I need some help, I'm struggling on why I have the need to keep returning to religion. I became a Christian in 2008 but after a couple of years of investigation into the history etc, decided that it was untrue and seemed to be a method of control and myth. I identified myself as an atheist but I still feel a calling back to Christianity.

No need to vacillate. Integrate. I am a Christian atheist who doesn't believe in any bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. Neither did Jesus. Dude and the Buddha are the OG atheists. Both say The Word is Tao. Dualism is not only implausible, it is untenable. Many have tried, all have failed. So saith The Word. ... Gwynnies Bitches.
[Image: gwynnies.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-11-2014, 09:22 PM

I need some help, I'm struggling on why I have the need to keep returning to religion. I became a Christian in 2008 but after a couple of years of investigation into the history etc, decided that it was untrue and seemed to be a method of control and myth. I identified myself as an atheist but I still feel a calling back to Christianity. Logically I can understand the reasons why I don’t believe and turned away from religion. Despite this however, I still feel the need to continue the search and seem unable to rest in the thought that there is no god.

I’m wondering if there’s anyone else who has similar experience of longing to find the answers to life through religion.

Honestly, the best medicine is education. I would suggest that you take up the hobby of Ancient History in regards to ancient religions such as Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

When you understand the root and history of these belief systems, you will be able to unravel the mystery of them for the benefit of understanding. Once the mystery of "God" is unraveled, you will understand precisely why you are looking for answers from atheists.

It's okay and intellectually honest to respect Jesus as a human being. It's okay and intellectually honest to reject the implausible claims of his supposed miracles. It's perfectly fine to take some of the more reasonable and wholesome teachings from the bible and employ them in your life.

But what is not okay is for you to be confused as to what the truth actually is.

Find it. Get educated. Be free.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
29-11-2014, 02:34 AM
I relate comepleatly.
I started questioning about three years ago.
It began with listing and reading everthing From Richard dawkins, Christopher hichens, Sam Harris ect. Than I went through a very lonly and
angry time that I couldn't shake. I wanted to have a spiritual connection to something but didn't know what that was.
For me atheism was what my mind was, but my heart wanted more.
30-11-2014, 06:12 AM
(27-11-2014 06:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Can you identify what it is about Christianity that 'draws you back'?

And why Christianity? Why not Buddhism? Or Islam?

I think it's a combination of cultural reasons and accepting the finality of life. Wishing or hoping for continuation after death. Yet, logically I accept that we all die and our atoms continue to create other forms but that doesn't prevent the scary thought of my annihilation.
30-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Who and what you love and care about ... that is what survives. Pretty much the same for theists. We just done have any excuses; we take responsibility for our life right now because, this is what we have.

You seem to be in the the very last stage, from what I've observed. Immortality is a tough thing to let go of. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-11-2014, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2014 08:21 AM by unfogged.)
(30-11-2014 06:12 AM)JohnAB101 Wrote:  ...the scary thought of my annihilation.

I understand being apprehensive of dying as it can often be slow and painful. I understand resenting the idea of being dead because I don't get to spend more time with the people I care about and I don't get to do the things I enjoy even one more time. I don't understand being afraid of being dead because there won't be any 'me' to be afraid. To paraphrase Mark Twain, I wasn't scared before I was born and won't be scared after I die.

The lesson is to make the most of what you have while you have it. Unlike the theistic view, atheism not believing in an afterlife makes this life incredibly valuable and provides impetus to make it as good as possible for yourself and everyone around you.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
01-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Roger Ebert had an interesting take on death. Here is a piece he wrote in 2009, nice read.

http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal...good-night