Keeping my fingers crossed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2015, 10:05 PM
RE: Keeping my fingers crossed
(18-07-2015 09:11 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-07-2015 09:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Trust me -- it could be worse...

My SO has been trying to sell her house in town for two years....

2 car attached garage, new furnace and central air big double lot with healthy trees and room for another house....

Been asking mid 60's -- and no bites......

It's a good thing my place is paid for.....

Houses here are selling in a matter of days...like under a week. It's crazy! With demand so high, prices are high too.

There isn't even anything selling for 60K here. Double that will get you a house, but one you would have to put another 30K into to make it livable.

DFW is a bitch of a market.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
28-07-2015, 10:53 PM
All I can do is ... all I can do. So, I'll drink a beer in your general direction. Should do the trick.

Either your kid will get his house or I'll get drunk .. or neither... or both.

At least the posibilities are somewhat finite. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
29-07-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm there with you.

[Image: 2r71r9e.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Four more offers in the last four days - all fell through. Son even got his pre-approval upped by 11K.

They are selling houses in this town in under a day. It's crazy, frustrating, and so disappointing. Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-08-2015, 04:59 PM
More offers, more losses.

The housing market here is insane. My son is ready to tear his hair out. He has offered well over asking price on several and still lost out.

I am still holding out hope that things will slow in a couple weeks...school starts here on the 24th...I hope people are making a big final push to get into a home so they can start their kids in the right school.

Frustrating..but we are all learning what things to look for.

The realtor said it took 60 houses to finally get one couple into a house. Yeesh!

Perhaps if we beg... Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
14-08-2015, 10:04 PM
I just had an offer accepted in the city where I work yesterday. I got it for significantly less than the asking price. The house I just (hopefully) bought had been on the market for over a year and a half and vacant for 2.5 years. It has very dated bathrooms, but I like one of them regardless. The kitchen is a little dated, but nothing too awful. Other than that I love everything else about it, and can deal with one ugly bathroom for a while. Given all that I was still surprised the seller took my offer which was significantly lower than what they wanted. I'm really stoked and it is a huge sigh of relief. Barring a home inspection I am ready to move in. The neighborhood is fantastic, and the school system is incredible by even private school standards. Plus I am <10 minute drive from work, it has more bedrooms and bathrooms then we really need, I have a man cave, a workshop, a garage, wood floors throughout most of the house, a sun-room, and it's relatively private. On top of it all, I got a interest rate to drool over. Granted my I will be paying a lot more now than what I rent for, but it's worth it.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
14-08-2015, 11:04 PM
We put an offer on a house tonight. I just got done eating supper because we spent the whole evening looking at the house and then business, then picking up the kids and getting them to bed. We should have a good chance at getting it. Older home, but good price and with every single thing we were looking for in a house plus one bedroom!

We're now shitting our pants. Sadcryface

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
15-08-2015, 04:17 AM
Son went to see two houses last night - he said, "No and no."

It's a bad sign when you open the door to the house and the realtor (who isn't new at this) refuses to enter the house. Undecided Obviously this house has been 'vacant' and used for nefarious activities. Son said he walked into a couple rooms but when he opened the garage door the smell was so bad he backed up and shut the door again.

The other house had foundation issues so bad that he said you could see the tilt of the floor.

So - the search is still on. Undecided

I am sure the owners of those houses figured they better jump on this buying frenzy.

15-08-2015, 04:38 AM
(14-08-2015 11:04 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  We put an offer on a house tonight. I just got done eating supper because we spent the whole evening looking at the house and then business, then picking up the kids and getting them to bed. We should have a good chance at getting it. Older home, but good price and with every single thing we were looking for in a house plus one bedroom!

We're now shitting our pants. Sadcryface

Good luck! I was using a mortgage calculator and found that, in my son's price range, the mortgage payment would barely be over what his girlfriend is paying for a really crappy apartment.

Still hoping things calm down a bit with school staring on the 24th of this month...hopefully many people with intentions of moving here will have already found their house. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-08-2015, 04:44 AM
(14-08-2015 10:04 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I just had an offer accepted in the city where I work yesterday. I got it for significantly less than the asking price. The house I just (hopefully) bought had been on the market for over a year and a half and vacant for 2.5 years. It has very dated bathrooms, but I like one of them regardless. The kitchen is a little dated, but nothing too awful. Other than that I love everything else about it, and can deal with one ugly bathroom for a while. Given all that I was still surprised the seller took my offer which was significantly lower than what they wanted. I'm really stoked and it is a huge sigh of relief. Barring a home inspection I am ready to move in. The neighborhood is fantastic, and the school system is incredible by even private school standards. Plus I am <10 minute drive from work, it has more bedrooms and bathrooms then we really need, I have a man cave, a workshop, a garage, wood floors throughout most of the house, a sun-room, and it's relatively private. On top of it all, I got a interest rate to drool over. Granted my I will be paying a lot more now than what I rent for, but it's worth it.

You can't buy a house here for less than 20-30K over asking for house listed at 150K. Sadly, that puts you into a house you are already upside down on.

This has been a very frustrating and disappointing experience for my son and his girlfriend.

My husband was talking to our insurance agent who said that she expects this bubble to pop pretty soon. She said that the prices people are paying for houses is ridiculous and that people are way over-paying for starter homes right now.

People are also not taking matching offers that are VA or FHA backed. Only conventional loans. That came from the realtor who said it's obvious that people pre-approved for either are being discriminated against.