Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Piazza elected to baseball Hall of Fame

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Piazza elected to baseball Hall of Fame
Well deserved for both. I was still watching sports on TV when these two played.
One of my brothers had an uncanny resemblance to Piazza when he was still playing. I’ve seen people stop my brother in the airport and ask “Mike” for his autograph, which of course he gave them Laugh out load

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb.../78376084/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
06-01-2016, 07:37 PM
RE: Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Piazza elected to baseball Hall of Fame
I've actually got a Ken Griffey Jr. minor league card tucked away in a box at my grandmother's house that hasn't been opened since I got over my middle school baseball card phase. Maybe that will be my retirement Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-01-2016, 11:19 AM
I had a signed Griffey ball that got "lost" in a move 10 years ago. Weeping

I've been a M's fan since their inaugural season 1977. In 1989, this kid they called The Kid started making waves with spectacular catches in center field and monster home runs that jumped off the stick because of his pure, natural swing. In the mid to late '90s, he literally saved baseball in Seattle, lifting them to two playoff seasons, and inspiring Safeco Field, the "stadium that Junior built". When he left for Cincinnati, I was heart-broken. When he came back for two final seasons, I was so happy, knowing he would go into the Hall as the first Mariner. It has seemed like a long 5 years waiting for his eligibility, and I am a proud fan to see him go in with 99% of the vote.

Meanwhile, in the late 80s I moved to southern California and became a Dodger fan. In the very early 90s, Tommy Lasorda brought in this kid who was essentially a "god son" whom he drafted as a favor. Mike Piazza became rookie of the year in 1993, and I knew the Dodgers had found their franchise catcher. Again, due to the business of baseball, I was disappointed when he moved on to NY, but with his sparkling defense and pop with the bat, he is one of my favorite (amongst many favorite) Dodger players.

It was a good day yesterday to hear that both of these players made it in!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-01-2016, 05:18 PM
(06-01-2016 07:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've actually got a Ken Griffey Jr. minor league card tucked away in a box at my grandmother's house that hasn't been opened since I got over my middle school baseball card phase. Maybe that will be my retirement Tongue

I got his 1989 Upper Deck rookie card. Wonder what it's worth ... damn looks like it's going from $500-$1000 on eBay.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Can't argue with either choice.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!