Ken Ham on the Debate with Bill Nye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2014, 03:06 AM
RE: Ken Ham on the Debate with Bill Nye
(22-01-2014 03:04 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I still can't fathom why Bill Nye would ever have agreed to this. He's not desperate for face time or publicity, right? Certainly not this sort of publicity. What's his angle?

I think perhaps he simply wants to get people talking and he knows his name will bring attention to the issue? That is what it sounds like from a recent interview.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2014, 03:47 AM
(21-01-2014 09:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Im against anything that makes creationalism something worth discussing. I understsnd many atheists disagree. I just feel no good can come from it.

I agree with this. Kens business is suffering and he needs a cash injection. This is not an honourable reason for a debate. I'd prefer to see him bankrupt and the museum shut and I have no qualms about saying it Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
22-01-2014, 07:31 AM
(22-01-2014 03:06 AM)Dena Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 03:04 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I still can't fathom why Bill Nye would ever have agreed to this. He's not desperate for face time or publicity, right? Certainly not this sort of publicity. What's his angle?

I think perhaps he simply wants to get people talking and he knows his name will bring attention to the issue? That is what it sounds like from a recent interview.

I am hoping Nye put some stipulations in the agreement, like-no editing the youtube video, things of that nature.

Did you ever notice when Republicans talk bat shit crazy they always lose some more followers. Those people in the middle start waking up. I am hoping the same will happen with this. People in the middle are familiar with Nye being the voice of reason and sound judgement and now they will see Bat Shit Crazy Ham. It won't convince the 'believers' but those in the middle….they are the target.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-01-2014, 07:32 AM
I just really hope Nye is getting some good coaching to prep for this.

22-01-2014, 09:51 AM
(22-01-2014 07:32 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I just really hope Nye is getting some good coaching to prep for this.

Has Hammy-Ham ever been in a debate? It's not like WLC, where you can watch any one of his dozens of debates on YouTube and be 95% prepared for what you're going to run into. Then again my favorite WLC debate was the one at Notre Dame against Sam Harris, who simply refused to fall to WLC's level of Gish-Gallop and instead kept to his own points and had a much stronger show for it.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
22-01-2014, 10:09 AM
(22-01-2014 07:32 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I just really hope Nye is getting some good coaching to prep for this.

He'd better do a lot more than just watch a bunch of YouTube and arrogantly assume, "I got this." Even if you're used to being in front of an audience, debates are quite different.

I had a kid into the whole forensics (public speaking/debate) thing...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

22-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Re: RE: Ken Ham on the Debate with Bill Nye

He made a video saying how he finds creationism harmful to children. I think he just wants to try to lessen that occurrence.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-01-2014, 10:45 AM
my in-laws are all over this on Facebook….cheering for Ham….makes me want to vomit.

please Bill Nye - don't fuck this up.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
22-01-2014, 10:51 AM
(22-01-2014 10:45 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  my in-laws are all over this on Facebook….cheering for Ham….makes me want to vomit.

"Debates" like these usually end with people saying that one side or the other won. Meaning both sides can easily claim a victory.

In other words, it's totally subjective.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

22-01-2014, 10:59 AM
(22-01-2014 10:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-01-2014 10:45 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  my in-laws are all over this on Facebook….cheering for Ham….makes me want to vomit.

"Debates" like these usually end with people saying that one side or the other won. Meaning both sides can easily claim a victory.

In other words, it's totally subjective.

I know. I watched that Big Think video today that he says creation is child abuse, and while I agree with his message. He just didn't seem to convey his thoughts well. Lots of "ummm", and 'well, ah…" big gaps in speaking while trying to convey his thoughts.

He drags it out and sometimes he just doesn't seem like he has his thoughts gathered. Its why I'm hoping he is getting coached on presentation skills.