Ken Ham's "Ark Park"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2016, 07:22 PM
RE: Ken Ham's "Ark Park"
I'm miffed about all the trees that were cut down and wasted on this.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
22-02-2016, 04:26 AM
(20-02-2016 02:28 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(20-02-2016 02:24 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Most of them dismiss it out of hand. There have been "scholarly" studies, most by undergrad divinity students.

I believe that the design has been reviewed by actual engineers (shipbuilding engineers?) who have said that the design would render the ark physically impossible to sustain itself in choppy waters for any length of time. It would break up faster than the Titanic.

Yeah, it's child's play for naval engineers to demonstrate that the design would result in "hogging" when the seas got frisky. People forget that they floated around for 150 days after the rain stopped, almost guaranteeing they would be hit by at least one storm.

[Image: ark-basic_hull_design-constitution2.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
22-02-2016, 06:27 AM
(20-02-2016 02:28 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(20-02-2016 02:24 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Most of them dismiss it out of hand. There have been "scholarly" studies, most by undergrad divinity students.

I believe that the design has been reviewed by actual engineers (shipbuilding engineers?) who have said that the design would render the ark physically impossible to sustain itself in choppy waters for any length of time. It would break up faster than the Titanic.

I saw a documentary, I think it was from National Geographic where they built an upscale replica of ancient Sumerian boat the guffa.

It was only about 30 foot (10 meters) in diameter, the thing leaked horribly, they got it to float with an electric bilge pump. It drove home the point, just how difficult building a large boat would be, it becomes impossible at a certain size.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
22-02-2016, 04:20 PM
(22-02-2016 06:27 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(20-02-2016 02:28 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I believe that the design has been reviewed by actual engineers (shipbuilding engineers?) who have said that the design would render the ark physically impossible to sustain itself in choppy waters for any length of time. It would break up faster than the Titanic.

I saw a documentary, I think it was from National Geographic where they built an upscale replica of ancient Sumerian boat the guffa.

It was only about 30 foot (10 meters) in diameter, the thing leaked horribly, they got it to float with an electric bilge pump. It drove home the point, just how difficult building a large boat would be, it becomes impossible at a certain size.

But they did not have special God magic

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
22-02-2016, 08:40 PM
(22-02-2016 04:20 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 06:27 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I saw a documentary, I think it was from National Geographic where they built an upscale replica of ancient Sumerian boat the guffa.

But they did not have special God magic

I dunno. I just think the whole story about Noah is a parable.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
22-02-2016, 08:46 PM
(22-02-2016 08:40 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 04:20 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  But they did not have special God magic

One that teaches us not to trust anyone with the power of life and death?
To be wary of egotistical megalomaniacs?
Or something else.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Noah didnt need millions of dollars and a bunch of workers. Slacker.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
22-02-2016, 08:57 PM
(22-02-2016 08:40 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 04:20 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  But they did not have special God magic

You so silly. They found Noah's Ark decades ago. It was in the Ark of the Covenant all along. Tongue

What do you think it is trying to say? A parable of the Boy Scout Motto "Be Prepared"? This one's pretty good too.

#sigh
22-02-2016, 08:59 PM
(22-02-2016 08:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 08:40 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I dunno. I just think the whole story about Noah is a parable.

One that teaches us not to trust anyone with the power of life and death?
To be wary of egotistical megalomaniacs?
Or something else.

Or maybe it's about peoples or civilizations dying off and progressing into something new and more advanced. I don't know. The flood is one story that I'm not well studied up on. It's one of those stories that I like to play the game "what if."
22-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Well since most ancient cultures had flood myths, and this one is a virtual rip-off of the 11th Tablet of Gilgamesh, and none of these people were sea-faring people, we can assume it's a myth the Judean priests, who cooked up Genesis, felt needed to be placed into the "national history" they were creating, before returning after the Exile in Babylon.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post