Kennewick Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Kennewick Man
I live about 100 miles from where Kennewick Man was discovered almost 20 years ago. Around here there are Indian tribes that are fighting to have the head returned to them. It's in the local news from time to time. A recent DNA test conducted in Denmark shows the bones to be linked to the native peoples from almost 9000 years ago and now they're wanting the remains back. Geesh, shouldn't there be a statute of limitations on skeletons?

Scientists have recreated the face of Kennewick Man and he doesn't look like the indigenous people but maybe I'm wrong.

What do you all think should be done with this head? I believe scientists would like to learn more from the skeleton.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2015, 05:08 PM
RE: Kennewick Man
There's a fair bit of hard evidence that European types made it to the Americas much earlier than previously believed. That "indian" might just be a stray Viking.

I find the whole "we were here first" argument invalid.

The "native americans" superstitions are just as annoying as anyone else's.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-01-2015, 05:35 PM
They actually got the remains to DNA test? I heard years ago how they were refusing to do that when I was in Archaeology courses and a friend of mine worked up there, he was surprised I ever know what it was one time when bringing up the new stories about it.

Vikings came and landed, but not that soon, and not by reaching all the way to the the NW of the US in all likelyhood. I never was high on the idea of what he appeared to look like and wanted the DNA tests but I always hear the indigenous people wouldn't let them do it. It went back to their religious traditions of denying the possibility of it not being their people so it was a shaky ground of... well they're only protective of that because of religious whooey, so it shouldn't stand. I think the remains should go back to their area or whatever the state it was if it was technically their find and their heritage.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-01-2015, 06:54 PM
I'm fed up with this Indian shit. Kennewick Man is 9,000 years old. He was not a member of their fucking tribe.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
26-01-2015, 07:03 PM
"With changes in technology, additional DNA testing of remains has been conducted in Denmark; preliminary results reported in January 2015 have revealed that Kennewick Man is linked to current Native Americans, leading to a renewed demand for the return of remains.[3]

Sandi Doughton, “First DNA tests say Kennewick Man was Native American”, Seattle Times, 17 January 2015, accessed 19 January 2015"

DNA has been done, send the remains back to the Umatilla tribe.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-01-2015, 07:10 PM
(26-01-2015 05:08 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's a fair bit of hard evidence that European types made it to the Americas much earlier than previously believed. That "indian" might just be a stray Viking.

I find the whole "we were here first" argument invalid.

The "native americans" superstitions are just as annoying as anyone else's.

Since Homo sapiens left Africa, (well actually before) native groups were conquered by the previous native group. There is no "we were here first", known for sure. The first humans are thought to be from Asia, across
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beringia
Maybe the skeleton should be sent to wherever they came from.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Here's what he may have looked like.

[Image: K-Man.jpg]

They feel that there were several waves of immigrants that walked across the land bridge so when this guy came over is up to debate.

How far back do the Indians want to go with their skeletal remains? Is 10,000 years not far enough? 20,000 years?

Here's the skeletal remains of a girl found underwater in the Yucatan area.

She's around 12,000 years old.

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/s...erica.html

Do the Indigenous people want this back too?

26-01-2015, 09:51 PM
(26-01-2015 06:54 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I'm fed up with this Indian shit. Kennewick Man is 9,000 years old. He was not a member of their fucking tribe.

I'm an Indian and I'm fed up with this Indian shit too. Angry I will be the first to tell you that Native American religions are even dumber than the Abrahamic religions from the bible and the koran.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
26-01-2015, 11:34 PM
(26-01-2015 09:51 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 06:54 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I'm fed up with this Indian shit. Kennewick Man is 9,000 years old. He was not a member of their fucking tribe.

I'm an Indian and I'm fed up with this Indian shit too. Angry I will be the first to tell you that Native American religions are even dumber than the Abrahamic religions from the bible and the koran.

What exactly DO Native American's believe. Is there a heaven and hell? It seems like there are just a million stories about the mountains, rivers and streams. It's kind of animism isn't it?

27-01-2015, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2015 01:19 AM by Black Eagle.)
Different tribes have different beliefs. Most tribes believe in an afterlife but I am not aware of any who believe in hell. There is a touch of animism in some of them, to the Lakota the white buffalo is sacred. I really don't know a lot about Native Am religions because my parents bounced between the Catholic and Episcopal churches. Many of my friends were indoctrinated with the Native Am religion in South Dakota and they wound up just as fucked up by it as many of us were by christianity if not more fucked up. My son, who has one of his degrees in "Comparative Religions," moved out to Pine Ridge many years ago to study the Lakota language and religion. He will tell you that the Lakota believers are crazier than bedbugs.