Kent Hovind - Creationism refuted

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2013, 12:34 AM
RE: Kent Hovind - Creationism refuted
(25-08-2013 01:45 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  I'm no chemist, but I'm pretty sure elements don't evolve. Hypothetically, there are an unlimited amount of elements that can exist, if you keep adding protons and electrons to preexisting elements. Helium is just Hydrogen with an extra proton (basically). Again, I'm no chemist, but I'm sure that the intense heat and energy from the Big Bang smashed atoms of Hydrogen (default matter) into each other creating the different elements. (I'm not a chemist.)

The strong force holding elements nuclei intact has a limited range so they can only get so many protons and neutrons. If you keep trying to cram nucleons in you'll probably end up with nuclei that have shorter and shorter half lives to the point where it decays immediately after forming. I don't think we will be seeing many more new elements.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 04:25 PM
RE: Kent Hovind - Creationism refuted
Chemical evolution is completely different from biological evolution. When most of us on TTA use the term, it's typically meant in the context of biology, but there it is still a general term meaning to change from one thing to another. We use it to refer to how languages, ideologies and lots of other things "evolve".

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply