Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 11:03 AM by Tomasia.)
RE: Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!
(04-09-2015 10:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  You are hell-bent on defending your gawd-inspired homophobia and I am simply attempting to demonstrate the folly of it.

I didn't know claiming she doesn't deserve jail time for what she did equates to gawd-inspired homophobia

Quote:C. If anyone is guilty of a logical fallacy here it's you. After shutting down your argument that there was no legal ground for putting her in jail, you tried moving the goal posts by asserting that your issue is one of martyrdom.

I never moved the goal post. I don't believe she deserved jail time for what she did. Even the couple that sued her don't believe she deserves to be in jail. The question here is whether the punishment fits the crime.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 11:02 AM
(04-09-2015 10:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 09:54 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Want to tell me how she is any different from this guy?

[Image: th?id=JN.oYy0wZ2GBtG%2bM%2bRu4XUAJA&...;amp;h=300]

The Stand in the Schoolhouse Door took place at Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama on June 11, 1963. George Wallace, the Democratic Governor of Alabama, in a symbolic attempt to keep his inaugural promise of "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever" and stop the desegregation of schools, stood at the door of the auditorium to try to block the entry of two black students, Vivian Malone and James Hood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_in_t...house_Door

Well for one she out Wallaced Wallace.

She didn't physically block anyone from granting marriage license. She refused to sign them herself, and refused to bless those who grant them to gay couples without her permission.

The only thing standing in the door were the laws governing her office, that prevent her from being impeached, the makes her signature a necessity for the issuing of marriage licenses.

The laws governing her office should have been changed. But she defiantly didn't warrant prison time. Not even Wallace got jail time.

She did physically block them. Refusing to let her office issue the clerks' signatures that are required to register legal paperwork is physically blocking.

Wallace backed down after the General saluted him. His defiance was symbolic. Hers was real. I assure you, had Wallace refused to move and continued to defy the order in an actual attempt to physically stop the kids from attending that college, he'd have been arrested just the same as her.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
04-09-2015, 11:03 AM
(04-09-2015 10:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 10:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  You are hell-bent on defending your gawd-inspired homophobia and I am simply attempting to demonstrate the folly of it.

I didn't know claiming she doesn't deserve jail time for what she did equates to gawd-inspired homophobia

Quote:C. If anyone is guilty of a logical fallacy here it's you. After shutting down your argument that there was no legal ground for putting her in jail, you tried moving the goal posts by asserting that your issue is one of martyrdom.

I never moved the goal post. I don't believe she deserved jail time for what she did. Even the couple that sued her don't believe she deserves to be in jail.

She deserved, and got, jail for contempt of court.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-09-2015, 11:19 AM
(04-09-2015 10:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I never moved the goal post. I don't believe she deserved jail time for what she did. Even the couple that sued her don't believe she deserves to be in jail. The question here is whether the punishment fits the crime.

Now who is creating strawmen?

Again, everyone has demonstrated how the punishment fits the crime, yet you have trouble understanding contempt of court. As to your first statement, you are putting the cart before the horse. If you put your faith in jeebus and agree that homosexuality is a sin, you can't possibly turn around and say it bears no impact on your dog in this fight. To do so would be intellectually dishonest

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
04-09-2015, 11:23 AM
(04-09-2015 11:02 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  She did physically block them. Refusing to let her office issue the clerks' signatures that are required to register legal paperwork is physically blocking.

She refused to sign her signature on the license.

Assuming she could have been fired for this. Do you believe she should have been fired and jailed? Or just fired?

Is the reason why you believe she should be jailed, based merely on the fact that she can't be fired?

Quote:Wallace backed down after the General saluted him. His defiance was symbolic. Hers was real. I assure you, had Wallace refused to move and continued to defy the order in an actual attempt to physically stop the kids from attending that college, he'd have been arrested just the same as her.

Wallace did refuse the Attorney General Order to stand down, and it was only after the JFK intervened that he did.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-09-2015, 11:28 AM
(04-09-2015 11:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  She refused to sign her signature on the license.

Quote:Contempt of court, often referred to simply as "contempt", is the offense of being disobedient to or disrespectful towards a court of law and its officers in the form of behavior that opposes or defies authority, justice, and dignity of the court.

She defied the supreme court! She goes to jail, it's not fucking rocket science.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
04-09-2015, 11:34 AM
(04-09-2015 11:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:02 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  She did physically block them. Refusing to let her office issue the clerks' signatures that are required to register legal paperwork is physically blocking.

She refused to sign her signature on the license.

Assuming she could have been fired for this. Do you believe she should have been fired and jailed? Or just fired?

Is the reason why you believe she should be jailed, based merely on the fact that she can't be fired?

Quote:Wallace backed down after the General saluted him. His defiance was symbolic. Hers was real. I assure you, had Wallace refused to move and continued to defy the order in an actual attempt to physically stop the kids from attending that college, he'd have been arrested just the same as her.

Wallace did refuse the Attorney General Order to stand down, and it was only after the JFK intervened that he did.

You are not listening.

She couldn't be fired as she is elected.

She was jailed for refusing to obey a court order to do her job. That is contempt of court.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-09-2015, 11:36 AM
(04-09-2015 11:28 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  She defied the supreme court! She goes to jail, it's not fucking rocket science.

There's no principle of proportionality when in comes to contempt of court. And not everyone whose held in contempt of court goes to jail.

If she was sentenced to 10 years in jail, would we even be arguing, "she defied the court, she gets 10 years"? Or would we all be acknowledging that the punishment did not fit the crime.

In fact if she could have been impeached because of her refusal, would anyone here be requesting that she be jailed for this as well, and not just fired?

The argument seems to be that she should be jailed, because we can't fire her.

04-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Yes. You go to jail for defying a judicial order. It's how it works.

It's how it always works. Wallace decided to comply before being locked up for his defiance. She did not. She was offered the opportunity and refused.

She's an elected official; she cannot be fired, but can be impeached by the legislature, but that's a process that's unrelated to the contempt citation by the judge who ordered her to comply.

I guarantee, if you were incarcerated and she refused to "put her signature on" an order from the Court that said you were wrongfully incarcerated and should be immediately released, you'd see that she is physically blocking via the refusal to do her job (to put her signature on paperwork in the process of its official entry into the record).

And I guaran-fucking-tee that if she was a Muslim refusing Christians their rights on religious grounds, everyone would be calling for her head, or if she was an atheist refusing anyone. Only Christianity seems to get a pass. Why?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
04-09-2015, 11:41 AM
(04-09-2015 11:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:28 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  She defied the supreme court! She goes to jail, it's not fucking rocket science.

If she was sentenced to 10 years in jail, would we even be arguing, "she defied the court, she gets 10 years"? Or would we all be acknowledging that the punishment did not fit the crime.

In fact if she could have been impeached because of her refusal, would anyone here be requesting that she be jailed for this as well, and not just fired?

The argument seems to be that she should be jailed, because we can't fire her.

We would still be arguing because we would all be fine with her getting 10 years in jail but you wouldn't, you would still want to make weak arguments as to why she shouldn't which you have yet to make any real, solid argument as to why she should not, the rest of us actually understand how the justice system works. I personally would rather have her impeached and jailed, jailed to serve her time for her breaking the law and impeached so she can't do it again when she gets out.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post