Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 11:43 AM
RE: Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!
(04-09-2015 11:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  You are not listening.

She couldn't be fired as she is elected.

She was jailed for refusing to obey a court order to do her job. That is contempt of court.

To say she was jailed for refusing to obey a court order, doesn't answer the question of whether the punishment fit the crime, anymore so than saying a person was jailed for 10 years for smoking a joint, answers whether the punishment was proportional.

If she could be fired, and was fired, would anyone here request that she be jailed as well?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 11:45 AM
(04-09-2015 11:41 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  We would still be arguing because we would all be fine with her getting 10 years in jail

So you all would be fine with sentencing the lady to 10 years in jail? No one here would think that's excessive? That her punishment didn't fit the crime?

I assumed most of us would agree that this would have been excessive, but perhaps I was wrong?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-09-2015, 11:50 AM
(04-09-2015 11:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:41 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  We would still be arguing because we would all be fine with her getting 10 years in jail

So you all would be fine with sentencing the lady to 10 years in jail? No one here would think that's excessive? That her punishment didn't fit the crime?

She defied the supreme court, if that's what they give her then it's not gonna keep me awake at night.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-09-2015, 11:52 AM
(04-09-2015 11:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

She was jailed for refusing to obey a court order to do her job. That is contempt of court.

To say she was jailed for refusing to obey a court order, doesn't answer the question of whether the punishment fit the crime, anymore so than saying a person was jailed for 10 years for smoking a joint, answers whether the punishment was proportional.

If she could be fired, and was fired, would anyone here request that she be jailed as well?

You really don't understand why she was jailed, do you. Facepalm

If she could have been fired, that would have ended the problem. But she couldn't be so why do you keep on asking that question?

Jailing her effectively removes her from play so the legal functioning of the department can resume.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
04-09-2015, 11:54 AM
(04-09-2015 11:50 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  So you all would be fine with sentencing the lady to 10 years in jail? No one here would think that's excessive? That her punishment didn't fit the crime?

She defied the supreme court, if that's what they give her then it's not gonna keep me awake at night.

I wonder if this is the shared sentiment here, or just an outlier.

If it is then I'm not sure what to say, other than that's disheartening.

04-09-2015, 11:58 AM
(04-09-2015 11:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

[Image: mrw-when-the-same-student-keeps-asking-s...-45476.gif]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
04-09-2015, 11:58 AM
(04-09-2015 11:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:50 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  She defied the supreme court, if that's what they give her then it's not gonna keep me awake at night.

I wonder if this is the shared sentiment here, or just an outlier.

More disheartening than the fact that couples had to suffer and not be allowed to get married nd go through all those emotions because some bigot could not get past her stupid fairy tales and just do her job? I think if anything is disheartening, it's that people like you exist.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
04-09-2015, 12:03 PM
(04-09-2015 05:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 05:32 AM)Nurse Wrote:  She was well aware of her duties and what would lead to her arrest. Certain jobs come with specific responsibilities in the eyes of the law. I understood when I signed up to be a nurse that I would have moral objections to some of my patients' and families' beliefs. Let's say I refuse to take care of a patient after finding out their background, and I abandon them - I go to jail for that. If I abandon my post for *any* reason without someone to take over, I go to jail. She had an obligation to the citizens of her county and she failed them.

If she can't perform her duties, she should step down from her position. She had that option, refused a court order, and now is suffering the consequences of her actions - or really, her intentional lack of action. She had a court mandate. I don't feel sorry for her one bit.

Do I wish harm on her while she's sitting in cell? No. Am I going to lose sleep over it something happens? Not really.

The only crime she committed is a refusal to sign a damn piece of paper. And not endorsing others who hand a paper with her name on it out.

There nothing in here warranting her going to jail. The law is one being made up as we go alone, the fact that her refusal to sign these licenses is not fireable offense, speaks volumes for this.

She is not going to jail for refusing to sign marriage licenses. She's going to jail for deliberately disregarding a legal order issued by a court of law.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-09-2015, 12:10 PM
(04-09-2015 11:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  Jailing her effectively removes her from play so the legal functioning of the department can resume.

Okay, that seems like an understandable reason. If thats the reason you support her sentence, that I can't disagree with you.

04-09-2015, 12:12 PM
(04-09-2015 11:58 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I wonder if this is the shared sentiment here, or just an outlier.

More disheartening than the fact that couples had to suffer and not be allowed to get married nd go through all those emotions because some bigot could not get past her stupid fairy tales and just do her job? I think if anything is disheartening, it's that people like you exist.

Yea, because not even that couple wanted to see her in jail, let alone be comfortable as you would be if she received 10 years.