Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!
(04-09-2015 12:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:58 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  More disheartening than the fact that couples had to suffer and not be allowed to get married nd go through all those emotions because some bigot could not get past her stupid fairy tales and just do her job? I think if anything is disheartening, it's that people like you exist.

Yea, because not even that couple wanted to see her in jail, let alone be comfortable as you would be if she received 10 years.

No but they are probably too busy being happy now that they can actually marry.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 12:29 PM
(04-09-2015 06:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The consequence here would have been being released from service in the military, not jail time.

You should look up the information before you post flat statements like this.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/...anada?lite

http://savannahnow.com/stories/072805/3190098.shtml

http://www.democracynow.org/2003/9/9/con...six_months
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-09-2015, 12:31 PM
(04-09-2015 11:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  To say she was jailed for refusing to obey a court order, doesn't answer the question of whether the punishment fit the crime, anymore so than saying a person was jailed for 10 years for smoking a joint, answers whether the punishment was proportional.

If she could be fired, and was fired, would anyone here request that she be jailed as well?

You really don't understand why she was jailed, do you. Facepalm

If she could have been fired, that would have ended the problem. But she couldn't be so why do you keep on asking that question?

Jailing her effectively removes her from play so the legal functioning of the department can resume.

Thank you. I'm glad someone sees that there was a reason behind that much time. These judges are not idiots. They are some of the finest and brightest(most of the time) of our legal minds. They understood there was steps to this and understood that she was in an ELECTED position. After weeks of no answer from the members of her community to impeach someone for disobey the law it showed that they too also lacked the proper judgement so in a way yes she had to be put away before this turned into a bigger problem.

Problem is there is going to be push back. Lets just hope its not too crazy to deal with or otherwise she will walk way too soon and show others that it's also ok to deny the law numerous times and then deny a direct court order directly from the horses mouth.
04-09-2015, 12:34 PM
(04-09-2015 11:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 11:50 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  She defied the supreme court, if that's what they give her then it's not gonna keep me awake at night.

I wonder if this is the shared sentiment here, or just an outlier.

If it is then I'm not sure what to say, other than that's disheartening.

Also I like to point out I'd rather not care as much about someone who want's to be so discriminatory and such a bigot and would rather care about the gay couples who have done nothing morally wrong and just wants to get married, but of course you being a theist would not understand that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-09-2015, 12:39 PM
(04-09-2015 11:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  To say she was jailed for refusing to obey a court order, doesn't answer the question of whether the punishment fit the crime, anymore so than saying a person was jailed for 10 years for smoking a joint, answers whether the punishment was proportional.

If she could be fired, and was fired, would anyone here request that she be jailed as well?

No, she is in jail because she has a job, she won't do it, and she refuses to stop taking payment for it. From what I read she can walk any time she gives her resignation, which means that the government can stop paying her for doing nothing. She is in there by choice. Of course, her lawyers and religious supporters want her to stay in jail as long as possible, because it keeps the story alive and they can capitalize on the publicity.

That woman is so deluded she has no idea that she is a pawn.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
04-09-2015, 01:24 PM
She is in jail (not for 10 years, not for one day, but for the exact length of time she refuses to resign or comply with the judge's legal order) for the same reason anyone in this country who defies a Judge's Order goes to jail for contempt.

It has the effect of freeing up her subordinates to do the job she was supposed to do, but it's not why it happened.

And you can quit with all the sympathy. There is not a shred of difference between her and the anti-integration refusers who went to jail, or the anti-miscegenation refusers who went to jail, or a deadbeat husband who refuses to comply with a judicial order to sell his house and give half of it to the ex-wife, or any of a hundred other possible legal orders that someone chooses to defy. The reason they defy it is irrelevant. If she has religious objections to her job, she is welcome to stop representing the government that has said that it is a civil rights violation to deny the equal protection of marriage laws to people based upon their (identical) genders.

She does not get to stay in her job AND defy the legal orders of the courts, and the judge is within his rights to order her confined in the county jail until such time as she quits or complies. If he lacked that power, or threatened but did not do it, then our entire legal system's power disappears.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-09-2015, 01:53 PM
(04-09-2015 07:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  This passage alone dissolves her case:

Quote: Romans 13
1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

And this passage absolves her case: "“We must obey God rather than men." (ACTS 5)

Nope. It shows that the Bible is self contradictory, and as such is a worthless guide for anything.

So we're back to secular laws, of which she is still on the wrong side of. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-09-2015, 01:57 PM

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2015, 02:22 PM
(04-09-2015 12:29 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 06:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The consequence here would have been being released from service in the military, not jail time.

You should look up the information before you post flat statements like this.

If Tom did that to begin with this thread would be much, much smaller.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
04-09-2015, 02:30 PM
(04-09-2015 10:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 10:42 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  You are hell-bent on defending your gawd-inspired homophobia and I am simply attempting to demonstrate the folly of it.

I didn't know claiming she doesn't deserve jail time for what she did equates to gawd-inspired homophobia

Are you suggesting that she wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for her religion?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac