Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2015, 09:00 PM
RE: Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!
I have a sneaking admiration for her.

I was thinking what I would do if my actions / behaviour found me on the wrong side of Islamic laws in Malaysia or Indonesia (or Bangladesh if I'm selected to go there) ... would I go to jail for my non-beliefs? Dunno.

But I'd like to think I'd have the courage of my non-convictions and see it through.

Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-09-2015, 09:13 PM
If we crucify her, will she be a new religion in 1000 years?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
03-09-2015, 09:50 PM
(03-09-2015 09:13 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  If we crucify her, will she be a new religion in 1000 years?

Only one way to find out.... I'll bring the nails. Wink
[+] 2 users Like 7R0MM3L's post
03-09-2015, 09:52 PM
(03-09-2015 09:13 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  If we crucify her, will she be a new religion in 1000 years?

No, no Davisism Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-09-2015, 10:04 PM
(03-09-2015 08:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Bet she is going to be real popular in prison.

They would see her as "standing up for her beliefs against the Man", and there are few things more-respected in the system.

She would be extremely popular in prison, if she went there for some reason (since you don't go to prison for Contempt), because prisoners are overwhelmingly of the fundamentalist Christian or fundamentalist Muslim variety, thanks in large part to decades of heavy-handed proselytizing by religious groups through the prison chapels, and in part because prisoners tend not to be very bright, wealthy, or well-educated.

Heh.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-09-2015, 10:10 PM
(03-09-2015 08:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 08:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Others agree with you

Laura Landenwich, an attorney for the plaintiffs, rejected the comparison.

"Ms. Davis is in an unfortunate situation of her own creation. She is not a martyr. No one created a martyr today," Landenwich said, adding "she holds the keys to her jail cell."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kentuck...smsnnews11

She really does, the Judge gave her a last second sweetheart deal (and one that honestly might not really be legal) in that if she would not interfere with those below her in handing out the licenses, not approve them herself just not stop other people from doing their jobs, she could walk. That was not good enough for this bigot.

My concerns are not in disagreement with all that's said here. I am wary, however, of how the everyday xtians will interpret the whole scene. We can all state as fact that she was given every opportunity to comply, & she was offered very lenient terms upon her refusal of those opportunities. The issue then becomes the acceptance of those facts by everyday xtians; something I think we have all experienced hardship & frustration with in even the recent past. This is an instance where I really hope I'm wrong, & don't have to be witness to, or engage, any such willful denial.
04-09-2015, 12:22 AM
(03-09-2015 10:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 08:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Bet she is going to be real popular in prison.

They would see her as "standing up for her beliefs against the Man", and there are few things more-respected in the system.

Even as a government worker?
04-09-2015, 12:38 AM
(03-09-2015 08:27 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yup, gonna see how well God protects her and cares for her in there. Hint: He won't.

If the prison authorities fail to protect and care for her it will be an indictment on them. Prisons should not be hell-holes.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-09-2015, 12:59 AM
(04-09-2015 12:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 10:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  They would see her as "standing up for her beliefs against the Man", and there are few things more-respected in the system.

It's not like she's a cop.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
04-09-2015, 01:00 AM
(04-09-2015 12:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 10:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  They would see her as "standing up for her beliefs against the Man", and there are few things more-respected in the system.

Prisoners don't hate government workers, just prosecutors/judges and, usually, cops. A surprising number of inmates "get" that cops are "just doing their jobs", and they only hate the crooked ones, while most prosecutors and judges actually bend enough of the law to draw the universal ire of all (including me). There is no fiercer proponent of the law than the criminal, right up to and including the fact that they do not do like in the movie/TV fantasies, and protest their innocence (indeed, those who do are often mocked), but accept it almost as a mark of pride, "Yep, I did it, I got caught, and I'm paying my time."

My experience as a "jailhouse lawyer" was that the Clerks of Court are the only dependable, honest, reliable people in the system, and are completely fair in their dealings with the inmate paperwork which endlessly floats across their desks. I've even had a couple make helpful suggestions, or send me forms which are useful but were not specifically requested, which is beyond their job description. I love clerks of court. Except this twit, who did exactly what I despise most in a government worker: refused to do her job because of a personal prejudice. Calling it her religion doesn't change that basic fact. I can't even imagine the universal outcry for her head (to which I would join my voice) if she was a Muslim and used that to refuse to process court papers on Friday, or during Ramadan, or for anything she felt was against Islam.

The fact that so many Christians can't grasp that it would be NOT OKAY in any other context, including historical ones we have already settled, like miscegenation (mixed marriages), floors me. The sheer arrogance of their claim! The hubris to even think, let alone say, that her Christian beliefs should be "respected" in a government job, when they have to know damned well that in any other context they'd be exploding with anger.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post