Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2015, 11:52 AM
RE: Kentucky gay marriage license hold out jailed!
(09-09-2015 11:45 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 11:27 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  She was jailed for refusing to follow a court order to start issuing marriage licenses.

And rightfully so.

I agree, the First Amendment does not absolve her from her responsibility to do her job. I just disagree when I hear ludicrous claims like "she wasn't jailed because of her beliefs". Her beliefs are what got her a jail cell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2015, 12:00 PM
(09-09-2015 11:52 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 11:45 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  And rightfully so.

I agree, the First Amendment does not absolve her from her responsibility to do her job. I just disagree when I hear ludicrous claims like "she wasn't jailed because of her beliefs". Her beliefs are what got her a jail cell.

Still don't get it? She has her beliefs, these views caused her to decide to break the law, breaking the law gets you in jail. Maybe you need new beliefs?

Let me ask you Heywood,
Since this slob can do what she wants based on a few lines in the bible, should a government worker refuse to issue divorce papers based on the following lines (summarized by GWG in another thread) in the same bible:

Mark 10:11-12

And he said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her, and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Luke 16:18

“Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Deuteronomy 24:1-22

“When a man takes a wife and marries her, if then she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, and she departs out of his house, and if she goes and becomes another man's wife, and the latter man hates her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter man dies, who took her to be his wife, then her former husband, who sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after she has been defiled, for that is an abomination before the Lord. And you shall not bring sin upon the land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance. “When a man is newly married, he shall not go out with the army or be liable for any other public duty. He shall be free at home one year to be happy with his wife whom he has taken. ...Blink

Matthew 19:9

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

Matthew 5:32

But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:10-17

To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife. To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. ...Laughat what the actual fuck Shocking

1 Corinthians 7:1-40

Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. ...Dodgy

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
09-09-2015, 12:11 PM
(09-09-2015 11:52 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 11:45 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  And rightfully so.

Wrong. Her (in)actions are what got her in jail. She was perfectly free to express her beliefs in the appropriate forum. Representing a secular government is not the appropriate forum for expressing one's religious beliefs. Even you should know that much.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
09-09-2015, 12:23 PM
(09-09-2015 12:00 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Still don't get it? She has her beliefs, these views caused her to decide to break the law, breaking the law gets you in jail. Maybe you need new beliefs?

Let me ask you Heywood,
Since this slob can do what she wants based on a few lines in the bible, should a government worker refuse to issue divorce papers based on the following lines (summarized by GWG in another thread) in the same bible:

Timber, you are straw manning. I never said this woman can do what ever she wants. In fact I said the opposite. I said her first amendment rights do not absolve her from doing her job. You are attacking an argument I never made.

I saw an altercation at a store once. A black store clerk refused to put a heavy object into a car that had a confederate flag sticker affixed to it. As far as I am concerned the clerk was insubordinate and subject to disciplinary action. The clerks first amendment rights do not allow him to refuse to fulfill the conditions of his employment, one of which was clearly loading heavy objects into the cars of customers. Same goes to this woman. Her job requires that she issues marriage licences. If she isn't going to do it, she should be fired(except you can't really fire an elected official) and someone else should be assigned to it.
09-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Heywood is a bit slow so lets try explaining this a different way.

This guy went to a Jewish center and killed a bunch of random people. He did so explicitly for his beliefs in racial superiority. However he was arrested charged and convicted not of being a racist but for murder. He was perfectly within his rights to hold those beliefs but when he acted upon them he faced legal ramifications. The same is true of Kim Davis. Her beliefs may have motivated her actions but as far as the court was concerned that is irrelevant.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
09-09-2015, 12:33 PM
(09-09-2015 12:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Her beliefs may have motivated her actions but as far as the court was concerned that is irrelevant.

This could be said of Rosa Parks too.

I forgive you for calling me slow.
09-09-2015, 12:52 PM
(09-09-2015 12:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 12:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Her beliefs may have motivated her actions but as far as the court was concerned that is irrelevant.

This could be said of Rosa Parks too.

I forgive you for calling me slow.

Wasn't an insult was an observation gleaned from much data, a sample of which is in this thread. But I forgive you for being too slow to understand the difference.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-09-2015, 01:25 PM
(09-09-2015 12:52 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Wasn't an insult was an observation gleaned from much data, a sample of which is in this thread. But I forgive you for being too slow to understand the difference.

Did your mom tell you that when someone calls you slow it is not an insult? Cause if she did, she was lying to you.
09-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Comparing this dumb broad to Rosa Parks is on par with comparing Carrottop to George Carlin.......

She's a simple minded idiot, who thinks her twisted view of the world is "god's will".

Jail probably isn't quite appropriate --- but a few months in the loony bin would likely be in order......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Disobedience in service to justice is laudable. Disobedience in service to bigotry, not quite at all.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post