Kentucky school shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2018, 07:18 PM
RE: Kentucky school shooting
"Now is not the time to discuss gun control, our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families."

I've just recently grown rudimentary legs and made the move from water to land.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2018, 07:32 PM
(26-01-2018 07:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  "Now is not the time to discuss gun control, our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families."

I've heard this before. That using these events is inappropriate and disrespectful. But I can't see that logic applying in any other circumstance.

If a school was set upon by a very angry, hungry bear in an area filled with bears, I'm pretty certain nobody would be saying "Well now is not the time to discus bear population control!"

Was anybody in Texas saying "Now is not the time to discus enhancing flood prevention measures"?

Nutjob ran over a bunch of people in Melbourne last month. What did the nation start doing? Talk about ways to prevent reoccurrence!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 8 users Like Free Thought's post
26-01-2018, 07:43 PM
(23-01-2018 02:14 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I'd be on board with searching every student on the way into school each morning. Bags, instrument cases, etc. should be searched. I think pat downs would not be appropriate, but those metal detector wands could be used and are only a couple hundred bucks - small price to pay to possibly save lives. Probably nothing would be foolproof, but surely we can do better.

At the detention centre we have metal detectors, body scanners, and strip searches for every inmate every time they enter or leave the institution and we still can't keep the weapons out.

'Murican Canadian
26-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Fifteen-year-olds should not have unfettered access to guns. If that gun came from his home, his parents are irresponsible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
27-01-2018, 07:10 PM
(26-01-2018 07:43 PM)yakherder Wrote:  At the detention centre we have metal detectors, body scanners, and strip searches for every inmate every time they enter or leave the institution and we still can't keep the weapons out.

It's impossible for any system to be foolproof, but it seems it could be far better. These shootings are happening much too frequently.

(26-01-2018 10:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fifteen-year-olds should not have unfettered access to guns. If that gun came from his home, his parents are irresponsible.

I agree. But unfortunately, there are always going to be irresponsible parents which is why I believe there has to be better monitoring at the schools themselves. It's the only place we have any degree of control for every student.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
28-01-2018, 04:47 AM
"Responsible gun owners" should be held responsible.

(Owner and shooter since 1965 here.)
28-01-2018, 05:43 AM
(23-01-2018 01:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Here we go again. There has been another school shooting, this time in Kentucky.

Quote:A 15-year-old student opened fire Tuesday at a rural Kentucky high school, killing two people and wounding a dozen more, authorities said.

When are we going to learn? I don't understand why it still seems to be so easy for kids to bring guns to school. After all the shootings that have happened, there clearly needs to be better checks on what kids are bringing to school. How many more kids have to die before we figure it out? Sad

11 since the beginning of the year. That is also NOT including the majority suicides and domestic murder and accidental. The firearm companies LOVE the death, it allows them to sell fear and they use the NRA leadership to scare society needlessly to protect the profits of the CEOs of these companies.

I am sick of the NRA's bullshit that anyone who seeks less firearm death wants a one party fascist state. FUCK THE NRA, we have a flooded market and too much ease of access.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
28-01-2018, 05:55 AM
(26-01-2018 07:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  "Now is not the time to discuss gun control, our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families."

WHEN because my 1984 High School yearbook has a two page spread of the year's national news. IN IT they mention the San Yisidro McDonald's massacre With aerial shot of the McDonalds crime scene. THAT WAS IN 1984!

Since then, Luby's cafeteria
Columbine
Movie theatre
Charleston
NEWTOWN
PULSE
Va Tech
Vegas

^^^^^ And those are only the ones that make national news. America has an average of 36,000 firearm injuries and deaths on average, and all the Gun factories and their fear lobby NRA offer is "sell more and do nothing."

That is a FRACTION of all the firearm deaths. We are tired of being bullied by one industry and one lobby.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-01-2018, 08:19 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016.../90858752/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evd4w...y-debunked

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-i...n-violence

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/...aps-charts

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world...ional.html

http://brenebrown.com/blog/2017/11/08/gu...ng-change/
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
28-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Gawdzilla, I did not read all the articles you posted but I did read the last one thoroughly.

It happens I know several gun owners, all of whom I would trust with my life. They mostly own hunting rifles. One who is a supporter of the NRA helped teach my children how to use pistols. He was very heavy into safety and how one must use those pistols.

The easy way we like to compartmentalize people is a failing. I think that last article deals with that in an excellent way.

I do think the NRA is not good for the country. It does get over excited about reasonable gun laws. Check out YouTube and some of the obsessive use of automatic weapons or very high power sniper rifles.