Kentucky school shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2018, 01:42 PM
RE: Kentucky school shooting
(26-01-2018 07:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  "Now is not the time to discuss gun control, our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families."

I understand the thrust of this exhortation, but now IS exactly the time to be discussing gun control. The discussion needs to happen on the occasion of each and every shooting of innocent civilians. And its degree of urgency needs to be increased with each and every shooting—regardless (unfortunately) of the feelings of the victims' families. The greater good of the entire US society is ultimately at stake here.

And I'm sure the families of the victims couldn't care less one way or the other whether the media are debating increased gun control or not.
They'll inevitably be in shock and too overwhelmed with grief to be thinking critically about firearm legislation.

I also suspect the "thoughts and prayers [sic ]" thing is a typical distraction originating from the NRA, in order to shut down the gun control debate.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
29-01-2018, 01:47 PM
(29-01-2018 01:42 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(26-01-2018 07:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  "Now is not the time to discuss gun control, our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families."

I understand the thrust of this exhortation, but now IS exactly the time to be discussing gun control. The discussion needs to happen on the occasion of each and every shooting of innocent civilians. And its degree of urgency needs to be increased with each and every shooting—regardless (unfortunately) of the feelings of the victims' families. The greater good of the entire US society is ultimately at stake here.

And I'm sure the families of the victims couldn't care less one way or the other whether the media are debating increased gun control or not.
They'll inevitably be in shock and too overwhelmed with grief to be thinking critically about firearm legislation.

I also suspect the "thoughts and prayers [sic ]" thing is a typical distraction originating from the NRA, in order to shut down the gun control debate.
That's exactly what is it. It worked before, and I fear it will work again. Money is ... outgunning reality.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
29-01-2018, 01:53 PM
(28-01-2018 06:00 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  ...But I do in know there's a problem when 3% of the gun owners in the country own 50% of the guns. That's 123,000,000 guns in the hands of less that 90,000 people.

Uh... am I reading this correctly? You're claiming that these people own 1,366 firearms each?

Huh Huh Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
29-01-2018, 01:59 PM
(29-01-2018 01:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(28-01-2018 06:00 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  ...But I do in know there's a problem when 3% of the gun owners in the country own 50% of the guns. That's 123,000,000 guns in the hands of less that 90,000 people.

Uh... am I reading this correctly? You're claiming that these people own 1,366 firearms each?

Huh Huh Huh

Maybe they hire them out? Consider Or have their own private armies? What the actual fuck?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-01-2018, 02:15 PM
(29-01-2018 01:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

Huh Huh Huh

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016.../90858752/
29-01-2018, 02:15 PM
(29-01-2018 01:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-01-2018 01:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Uh... am I reading this correctly? You're claiming that these people own 1,366 firearms each?

Huh Huh Huh

Maybe they hire them out? Consider Or have their own private armies? What the actual fuck?

Obsessive-Compulsive is the term.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
29-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Impulse, way above you were talking about school security and not about gun control.

It happened that my younger child was playing baseball against the team from my own high school, some 18 years ago. They were playing on a field I played on something like 55 years ago and just down the hill from the K-6 school I attended.

I walked up the hill to check it out. It was now protected with much chain link fence. I found that troubling. I am certain that had to do more with limiting graffiti then protection from guns but it troubled me.

Schools should be a protected space protected by all. Your suggestions bear some merit. It is also a shameful comment on how we have evolved over time.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
29-01-2018, 10:49 PM
In the US we have a school shooting on an average of once a week.

https://everytownresearch.org/school-shootings/

And evidently since 2018 started, it's every other school day. 11 so far...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...N6KOdPW1OX

MAGA? I don't think so.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
30-01-2018, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2018 07:08 AM by BikerDude.)
(23-01-2018 02:48 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(23-01-2018 02:36 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  Ever watch Justified?
Is that really how it is in Kentucky?
No I haven't and I know little about Kentucky specifically. I'll have to watch that later. Can't right now.

Highly recommended
Very "stream worthy".
Free on Amazon Prime. All seasons.
I hated to see it end.
BTW written by Elmore Leonard. Well at least the first episode and all the characters.
Each season has an arc. You can get caught up in it.

But watching Justified leaves one unsurprising by the latest shooting.
Very violent. Hence the title.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
30-01-2018, 07:34 AM
My 1984 HS yearbook has a picture of the San Ysidro McDonalds massacre in it. Please, tell us when the right time is because I don't see a reduction in firearm violence or death. I am fucking sick of people talking about motive, or type of death. It is all about FUCKING PROFIT for one industry, and those greedy fucks don't give a shit if police make it home safely. They don't give a shit if a domestic abuser murders a women. They don't give a shit if a kid accidentally shoots their instructor at a gun range. They don't give a shit if a man stockpiles them in a hotel room and uses a concert as a shooting gallery.

PLEASE TELL US ALL when is the right time. NOW is the time to say FUCK THE NRA leadership. FUCK the greedy CEOs of these products. THIS IS NOT about rights, this is about public safety. Sell more and do nothing HAS NOT WORKED.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37