Kentucky school shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2018, 07:38 AM
RE: Kentucky school shooting
And yet despite the sensationalism violent crime has declined consistently over the last quarter century.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...n-the-u-s/

Quote:Public perceptions about crime in the U.S. often don’t align with the data. Opinion surveys regularly find that Americans believe crime is up, even when the data show it is down. In 21 Gallup surveys conducted since 1989, a majority of Americans said there was more crime in the U.S. compared with the year before, despite the generally downward trend in both violent and property crime rates during much of that period. In a Pew Research Center survey in late 2016, 57% of registered voters said crime had gotten worse since 2008, even though BJS and FBI data show that violent and property crime rates declined by double-digit percentages during that span.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2018, 07:53 AM
(30-01-2018 07:38 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  And yet despite the sensationalism violent crime has declined consistently over the last quarter century.

Quote:Public perceptions about crime in the U.S. often don’t align with the data. Opinion surveys regularly find that Americans believe crime is up, even when the data show it is down. In 21 Gallup surveys conducted since 1989, a majority of Americans said there was more crime in the U.S. compared with the year before, despite the generally downward trend in both violent and property crime rates during much of that period. In a Pew Research Center survey in late 2016, 57% of registered voters said crime had gotten worse since 2008, even though BJS and FBI data show that violent and property crime rates declined by double-digit percentages during that span.

Bucking the trend: gun violence, which has stayed about the same or even increased over the last 15 years:
https://everytownresearch.org/issue/gun-...ce-trends/
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
30-01-2018, 07:54 AM
(30-01-2018 07:38 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  And yet despite the sensationalism violent crime has declined consistently over the last quarter century.

That's the FUD factor at work. Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt drive a lot of gun purchases.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-01-2018, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2018 08:05 AM by Brian37.)

I DONT FUCKING CARE..... Less is not even close to our allies. Get to Japan's level then I will shut up.

AGAIN, MY HS YEARBOOK has a picture of the San Ysidro Massacre in it. THAT WAS 1984!

Since then

Lubys in Waco Texas
Columbine
Va Tech
Colorado movie theatre
Newtown
Pulse
Charlston
Vagas

THAT does not include every shooting in America to where more than one person gets injured.

AND JUST SINCE JAN 1 11 SCHOOL SHOOTINGS so far.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580433745...ys-of-2018

Now the conservatives love to bitch about health care costs firearm injuries, even without the death COST TAX PAYERS more in ER visits that drive up everyone's costs to the tune of an average of 2.8 billion a year.

http://www.newsweek.com/gun-violence-sho...nds-676180

That does not include the majority suicides, the majority domestic violence or accidental which affects mostly kids.

"Its getting smaller" SO THE FUCK WHAT, 36,000 injuries and deaths on average per year is UNACCEPTABLE regardless. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
30-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Here is what one of the Country Music artists WHO GOT SHOT AT had to say about the Vegas Shooting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts...6360063742

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
30-01-2018, 08:47 AM
(29-01-2018 10:45 PM)JAH Wrote:  Impulse, way above you were talking about school security and not about gun control.

Yes, thanks for sticking with the intended subject. Smile

(29-01-2018 10:45 PM)JAH Wrote:  ...
I walked up the hill to check it out. It was now protected with much chain link fence. I found that troubling.
Schools should be a protected space protected by all. Your suggestions bear some merit. It is also a shameful comment on how we have evolved over time.

Thanks. I agree about the shameful commentary. It's unfortunate. I know one concern that has been raised is about making kids more fearful by the locking down and by doing all the searching for weapons daily, but IMO that's better than dead kids. I think kids affected this way will get over it with time after it all becomes normal procedure.

(29-01-2018 10:49 PM)julep Wrote:  And evidently since 2018 started, it's every other school day. 11 so far...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...N6KOdPW1OX

Wow julep, I didn't realize it was already that many. Sad And this is why we need to stop viewing gun control as the end-all answer and waiting for the time when it will finally get pushed through (which could be never). We need to do something else and we need to do it now.

(30-01-2018 06:36 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Highly recommended
Very "stream worthy".
Free on Amazon Prime. All seasons.
I hated to see it end.
BTW written by Elmore Leonard. Well at least the first episode and all the characters.
Each season has an arc. You can get caught up in it.

Oh wow, LOL, I thought you wanted me to watch a video. I didn't realize it's a whole series. Sorry, but I barely have time to watch anything and when I do it's normally The Walking Dead or a movie.

(30-01-2018 07:34 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Please, tell us when the right time is because I don't see a reduction in firearm violence or death.

With all due respect, "now" is fine, but this thread really isn't. There are probably 100 other threads dedicated to gun control already and I haven't seen anyone change their minds about what side they're on yet. So we don't need another one. This thread is supposed to be about OTHER things we can do. Thanks.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
30-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Does anyone have any ideas about what else BESIDES gun control can be done? As I just said in response to Brian (but it's actually for everyone discussing gun control in this thread), I was hoping this thread would be about other things. There are plenty of other threads for gun control discussions.

30-01-2018, 09:01 AM
(30-01-2018 08:50 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Does anyone have any ideas about what else BESIDES gun control can be done? As I just said in response to Brian (but it's actually for everyone discussing gun control in this thread), I was hoping this thread would be about other things. There are plenty of other threads for gun control discussions.

It's already a lot harder to get into most schools these days, at least during school hours. The front doors are locked and you have to be buzzed in, minimum. Also, most schools now have shooter protocols and drills for the kids and teachers. I'm assuming as new data points mount, some administrators have to be figuring out which active shooter avoidance strategies are the most effective.

You have to differentiate between external shooters and student shooters; external shooters may be deterred by locks and metal detectors--although even in schools with metal detectors and the like, there's still plenty of violence. Student shooters: I expect that people are already studying the psychology there and how group dynamics may promote or defuse a potential shooter.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
30-01-2018, 09:09 AM
(30-01-2018 09:01 AM)julep Wrote:  It's already a lot harder to get into most schools these days, at least during school hours. The front doors are locked and you have to be buzzed in, minimum. Also, most schools now have shooter protocols and drills for the kids and teachers. I'm assuming as new data points mount, some administrators have to be figuring out which active shooter avoidance strategies are the most effective.

I believe you are right about a lot of schools, but I'm not sure about "most". Probably more do than don't, but I think there are still too many that don't have much in place. I don't see how there could be nearly as many shootings otherwise. Drills are good for a response once there is an active shooter, but again, the problem seems to be too many guns getting into the schools in the first place.

(30-01-2018 09:01 AM)julep Wrote:  You have to differentiate between external shooters and student shooters; external shooters may be deterred by locks and metal detectors--although even in schools with metal detectors and the like, there's still plenty of violence. Student shooters: I expect that people are already studying the psychology there and how group dynamics may promote or defuse a potential shooter.

That's a good point. Shooters don't have to be students or even someone on the inside. I think they have been in most cases, but there have been exceptions and it's important to protect against external threats too. The locked doors and buzzing people in should help with that, but of course there is recess too when the kids are outside. I'm not sure what the answer is for that. Maybe that's where on site police come in.

30-01-2018, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2018 10:21 AM by Kaneda.)
(29-01-2018 01:42 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(26-01-2018 07:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  "Now is not the time to discuss gun control, our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families."
And I'm sure the families of the victims couldn't care less one way or the other whether the media are debating increased gun control or not.
They'll inevitably be in shock and too overwhelmed with grief to be thinking critically about firearm legislation.

I also suspect the "thoughts and prayers [sic ]" thing is a typical distraction originating from the NRA, in order to shut down the gun control debate.

After the Las Vegas shooting last year, when a lot of high-ranking U.S. politicos had to pretend they suddenly cared about the victims' well-being and safety, the NYTimes was helpful enough to air a few of these people's dirty laundry. These gifts to the House and Senate Members really throw their loving sentiments into some stark contrast.

NYTimes - Thoughts and Prayers and NRA Funding

Senate

John McCain, Senate - “Cindy & I are praying for the victims of the terrible #LasVegasShooting & their families.”
$7,740,521
FROM THE N.R.A.

Richard Burr, N.C.- “My heart is with the people of Las Vegas and their first responders today. This morning’s tragic violence has absolutely no place here in America.”
$6,986,620
FROM THE N.R.A.

Roy Blunt, M.O. - “Saddened by the tragic loss of life in #LasVegas. My thoughts are with all of the families affected by this horrific attack.”
$4,551,146
FROM THE N.R.A.

Thom Tillis, N.C. - “Susan and I send our deepest condolences and prayers to the families of the victims of this horrific and senseless tragedy in Las Vegas.”
$4,418,012
FROM THE N.R.A.

Cory Gardner, Co. - “My family and I are praying for the families of those injured and killed in Las Vegas last night.”
$3,879,064
FROM THE N.R.A.

Marco Ruio, Fla. - “I’m praying for all the victims, their families, and our first responders in the #LasVegas #MandalayBay shooting.”
$3,303,355
FROM THE N.R.A.

Joni Ernst, Iowa - “My prayers are with all of the victims in Las Vegas, and their loved ones affected by this senseless act of violence.”
$3,124,273
FROM THE N.R.A.

Rob Portman, Ohio - “Jane & I mourn the loss of innocent lives in this horrific attack in Las Vegas last night. We are praying for those taken from us, their families & all those injured in this attack.”
$3,061,941
FROM THE N.R.A.

Todd Young, Ind. - “We must offer our full support to the victims and their families as our nation mourns.”
$2,896,732
FROM THE N.R.A.

Bill Cassidy - La. - “Following closely the horrendous act of violence in Las Vegas. Our prayers are with those who were injured, killed and their families.”
$2,861,047
FROM THE N.R.A.

House

French Hill, Ark. - “Martha and I are praying for the families and victims of this senseless act of evil. […] We must continue to work together to stop this kind of terror.”
$1,089,477
FROM THE N.R.A.

Ken Buck, Co. - “I'm praying for all of those impacted by the evil events in Las Vegas last night. Our country must stand together in support of the families of the victims and the community.”
$800,544
FROM THE N.R.A.

David Young, Iowa - “My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families and friends of the horrific and evil tragedy in Las Vegas.”
$707,662
FROM THE N.R.A.

Mike Simpson, Idaho - “Though no words can heal our hurt, and no explanation will ever feel sufficient, I pray that all involved may find comfort as we process this devastating tragedy.”
$385,731
FROM THE N.R.A.

Greg Gianforte, Mont. - No statement released.
$344,630
FROM THE N.R.A.

Don Young - Alaska - “Anne and I are praying for all those involved or impacted by this heinous act of violence.”
$245,720
FROM THE N.R.A.

Lloyd Smucker, Pa. - “Horrific act of violence in Las Vegas. Cindy and I pray for the victims, their families, and the first responders.”
$221,736
FROM THE N.R.A.

Bruce Poliquin, Maine - “My thoughts are with all those effected in the horrifying attacks in Las Vegas. The nation is with you.”
$201,398
FROM THE N.R.A.

Pets Sessions, Tex. - “My deepest sympathies are with all who were harmed by this horrific tragedy.”
$158,111
FROM THE N.R.A.

Barbara Comstock, Va. - “I am heartbroken by the mass murder that took place last night in Las Vegas and I am praying for the victims, families, and first responders.”
$137,232
FROM THE N.R.A.

Whenever I hear "thoughts and prayers" or some variation of the phrase repeated by someone in power, I immediately want to know how much they're being massaged for it. It's sounding less like a lazy platitude and more like a tell these days.
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post