Kepler Finds over 1200 planet candidates!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
06-02-2011, 05:01 AM
RE: Kepler Finds over 1200 planet candidates!
(06-02-2011 04:37 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Well if we do find life, who says it has to be as similar to ours ? A small variation in gravity and the results of our planet would be totally different. And I'm curios how intelligent its environment made it. I mean , some very specific conditions made us what we are , could those conditions be the same ?

Nobody said it has to be similar to us, but the Idea is to first find any planet that may be capable of supporting any life. Then we move on to animal life, then intelligent animal life. (Actually, I believe Dolphins are very intelligent, they just lack the appendages (Hands) to build. I saw a video from an aquarium that is home to a bubble artist! Yes this artist is a Dolphin!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Still , what life are we talking about ?
We are carbon based life forms made mostly of water.
What other forms could life take ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM
(06-02-2011 01:01 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Still , what life are we talking about ?
That's a very good question! But for now, we are talking about Carbon based. That could be anything from microbes; to plants; to animal. Here on earth, scientists have been making some remarkable discoveries in the ocean only a decade or two ago, that completely changed their concept of possibilities for life. So again we get back to "The Goldilocks" zone of a star.

Our Sun has Three planets in the zone! we are "Just Right" Wink . But even now, scientists are reconsidering the possibilities for Saturn's larger moons!

So as you can see, a lot of speculation is still involved. But one must speculate to get Ideas, to investigate!

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Gaglamesh bring up a great point. Wasn't there a recent discovery of microbes living near hydrothermal vents that were believed to have followed a different path of origin then life as we typically think of it? I realize that it still required liquid life to survive but who's to say there are not similar types of microbes in our own solar system, maybe on Venus or Mercury?

I suppose the lack of any liquid water makes it unlikely, but is it plausible? And, does that count as life? If it were to exist, I'd think it counts.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-02-2011, 03:05 PM
(06-02-2011 02:47 PM)BnW Wrote:  Gaglamesh bring up a great point. Wasn't there a recent discovery of microbes living near hydrothermal vents that were believed to have followed a different path of origin then life as we typically think of it? I realize that it still required liquid life to survive but who's to say there are not similar types of microbes in our own solar system, maybe on Venus or Mercury?

I suppose the lack of any liquid water makes it unlikely, but is it plausible? And, does that count as life? If it were to exist, I'd think it counts.

That was the discovery I was referring to. The blind and albino creatures that live off the vents. But that still gets Added to the "Life as we know it" list.

06-02-2011, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 06:00 PM by Chesstime.)
Another cool video about Kepler and it's discoveries...

Planet Vulcan
(06-02-2011 01:01 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Still , what life are we talking about ?

This video explains "Habitable Zone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6_HooIJLNc

06-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks - very informative Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
02-04-2011, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2011 04:42 AM by Chesstime.)
This forum now allows video posts! so here are the videos!

Here is an explanation of the motives of the Kepler mission...

[+] 1 user Likes Chesstime's post
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM

I think it's all very fascinating.
Though I can imagine if there was ever any life form even close to human discovered elsewhere, a televangelist and then regular churches would start a begging campaign so as to acquire the funds to afford a shuttle missionary excursion so as to spread the good news to ET that now that we've discovered them, we're here to tell them they're damned. Tongue

[Image: alien-jesus.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GassyKitten's post