Kerbal Space Program

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2014, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2014 01:20 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
Kerbal Space Program
Any KSP players here?

Personally I'm a Realism Overhaul kind of guy :3

[Image: 2014-07-08_00030_zps864a08d3.jpg]
(Gemini style craft on the earth approach phase of a free return trip around the moon. The visible landmass is India)

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2014, 01:45 PM
RE: Kerbal Space Program
I bloody love it, it's the game I've wanted all my life. Currently playing around with Karbonite and Exoplanetary Launchpads to put bases around Duna, Eve and Jool to allow me to build and fly missions without waiting years.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
28-11-2014, 04:28 PM
*Raises hand*

Yup, but lately other Real Life issues have slowed me down a tad.

Am just playing vanilla (With MechJeb...'cause I can't dock for sh!t. Blush )

Also, very nice image and ship. Re-skinning of the standard little capsule? Looks NICE!

Much cheers to all.
28-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Re: Kerbal Space Program
I'm not a gamer, but this looks interesting.
28-11-2014, 04:54 PM
I was playing quite a bit. I bought it for Elder because I knew that he would love it and then decided to buy myself a copy. I quite enjoyed it but the bugs got me down. I got the hang of docking but only with the Docking alignment indicator mod.

I made some asparagus rockets. The biggest can carry 1,550 tonnes to orbit.

[Image: Big_Bertha.jpg]

The medium one took me about a week to make and I got fed up of it, it got to the stage where I might as well have been programming at work but it did turn out to be extremely efficient. It was difficult using separatrons to eject rocket engines from the middle of an asparagus without blowing up. And every time I added a new pair of engines I had to change the order of the staging because the later stages would empty at different rates. I could have made it bigger but it would have taken me a lot longer. It can carry 550 tonnes to orbit.

[Image: Little_Poppet.jpg]

The smallest asparagus was designed for the moment you unlock the bare essentials in the tech tree. I originally made it bigger but parts of it would go missing between the launch pad. It's probably not a problem now KSP is 64 bit and more RAM is available.

[Image: Early_Season_Asparagus.jpg]

I haven't played with the contracts yet, I've been too busy programming and haven't been playing any games.
28-11-2014, 05:18 PM
(28-11-2014 04:54 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I was playing quite a bit. I bought it for Elder because I knew that he would love it and then decided to buy myself a copy. I quite enjoyed it but the bugs got me down. I got the hang of docking but only with the Docking alignment indicator mod.

It's probably worth mentioning that this one has all the hallmarks of Wernher von Kerman once it's dropped a few stages:

[Image: 121s8ph.png]

[Image: 2zei4ra.jpg]

But the game is pretty addictive. How can it not be when your guys have this much fun?

[Image: 23tqqab.png]

28-11-2014, 05:37 PM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
28-11-2014, 06:43 PM
I use this fellows "Thrust plate" design for my heavy lifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy-boob8xtc

Am currently building up something to throw 200 ton into orbit.

Awesome song and kudos to Wernher von Kerman. Big Grin

Much cheers to all.
29-11-2014, 12:45 PM
(28-11-2014 04:28 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  *Raises hand*

Yup, but lately other Real Life issues have slowed me down a tad.

Am just playing vanilla (With MechJeb...'cause I can't dock for sh!t. Blush )

Also, very nice image and ship. Re-skinning of the standard little capsule? Looks NICE!

Much cheers to all.

Actually it is a model of the Gemini space craft. Seats two people and has a bunch of nice features like a CO2 scrubber and a couple of electric generators. The realism overhaul leaves the stock parts in, but it resizes and rebalances them. Earth is much bigger than Kerbin so getting into orbit takes a lot more power, but the mod changes the parts so you can get into orbit on stock parts if you want, but the recreations of real engines, pods, etc, is much more effective.

(28-11-2014 04:48 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I'm not a gamer, but this looks interesting.
I would say it's not the most gamey of games, if you know what I mean. The majority of it is maths really. An understanding of orbital mechanics helps a lot too :3
Have to be prepared for mental exhaustion after a successfully mission xD

(28-11-2014 04:54 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I was playing quite a bit. I bought it for Elder because I knew that he would love it and then decided to buy myself a copy. I quite enjoyed it but the bugs got me down. I got the hang of docking but only with the Docking alignment indicator mod.

The medium one took me about a week to make and I got fed up of it, it got to the stage where I might as well have been programming at work but it did turn out to be extremely efficient. It was difficult using separatrons to eject rocket engines from the middle of an asparagus without blowing up. And every time I added a new pair of engines I had to change the order of the staging because the later stages would empty at different rates. I could have made it bigger but it would have taken me a lot longer. It can carry 550 tonnes to orbit.

[Image: Little_Poppet.jpg]

The smallest asparagus was designed for the moment you unlock the bare essentials in the tech tree. I originally made it bigger but parts of it would go missing between the launch pad. It's probably not a problem now KSP is 64 bit and more RAM is available.

[Image: Early_Season_Asparagus.jpg]

I haven't played with the contracts yet, I've been too busy programming and haven't been playing any games.

One thing I learned early on is that the Asparagus route isn't really the best way to go about it. You can get the same payloads into orbit just using a single thin tower which is set up right and follows a proper ascent path. Actually I would say that Realism Overhaul makes this easier because you can literally copy the designs of real life rockets and try to emulate their flight profiles for yourself. Although of course real life rockets have strict budgets to work on so there is a much narrower margin of error, but it's a good place to start.
You can copy real world rockets into the game as it is, but you'll have to scale down aprox 10 times to account for Kerbin being about one tenth the size of Earth.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
30-11-2014, 12:22 PM

[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post