Kessel Run and "Parsecs"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2015, 03:32 PM
RE: Kessel Run and "Parsecs"
(24-02-2015 03:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 03:14 PM)JhaeL Wrote:  Holy mother of Zeus go away you miserable man! Seth mentioned it in a podcast that's why I posted it here.

How can such a lighthearted innocent subject be met with such childish hostility? If you have nothing to contribute be gone. I expect these types of mindless retorts from 12 year olds not someone twice my age. You should be embarrassed.

You're clearly not interested in this subject. Why interfere? Clearly some people enjoy entertaining such ideas and have interesting contributions. It's for fun, BYE!

I know I'm feeding the troll but it's hard not to respond. This guy makes it too easy.

Just ignore it.

I'm not quite sure why he picked out something like this to troll on a casual forum.

Must be casual trolling, then. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Now that we got that cleared up, who shot first? Han or Greedo? Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2015, 03:36 PM
(24-02-2015 03:35 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Now that we got that cleared up, who shot first? Han or Greedo? Big Grin

lol Han shot first... I'm a purist. Laugh out load

JhaeL - This Atheist (Original Atheism Rap)
[+] 1 user Likes JhaeL's post
24-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Kessel Run and "Parsecs"
I always figured that like many sci fi writers, Lucas had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Smile (William Gibson even admitted in an interview that he made it all up.)

But yes, Han shot first.

Side note: Greedo was speaking Quechua, real-life South American language. I came across that reading some things on a linguistics site.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
24-02-2015, 03:49 PM
(24-02-2015 03:45 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Side note: Greedo was speaking Quechua, real-life South American language. I came across that reading some things on a linguistics site.

Wow I did not know that. That's interesting. I really thought it was phonetic babble. Was it a direct translation to what Greedo was saying, or did they just choose random words from the language that sounded good?

24-02-2015, 03:51 PM
(24-02-2015 03:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 03:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Just ignore it.

I'm not quite sure why he picked out something like this to troll on a casual forum.

Must be casual trolling, then. Drinking Beverage

Fly casual.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Neither Han nor Greedo shot first.

Han just shot.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-02-2015, 04:03 PM
(24-02-2015 03:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Neither Han nor Greedo shot first.

Han just shot.

Exactly right.

In the original 77 version Greedo never got a shot off. Han killing him in cold blood makes a lot more sense than Greedo missing from 2 feet away.

24-02-2015, 05:53 PM
(24-02-2015 01:02 PM)JhaeL Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 12:43 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I heard a theory that Han was just testing them with BS jargon to see how much they knew so he could possibly rip them off.

I heard that theory as well but I'm inclined to disagree with it simply because of the way Han delivered the line.

He said "It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs"... as if surely they would've heard of the Falcon and this legendary achievement. It seemed to me that he fully expected them to have heard of it... which would suggest that it's either true, or a commonly known lie that's been propagated for some time.

Wow, I really read too deep into this stuff lol.

I actually subscribe to the conman theory, since after he throws the line out there he then charges them enough to buy a spaceship. He marked them for rubes he could take to the cleaners since they didn't know a parsec from a nebula.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-02-2015, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2015 06:12 PM by TheGulegon.)
(24-02-2015 03:35 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Now that we got that cleared up, who shot first? Han or Greedo? Big Grin

Han! Drinking Beverage
That's it! Angry

Laugh out load Tongue

(24-02-2015 05:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I actually subscribe to the conman theory, since after he throws the line out there he then charges them enough to buy a spaceship. He marked them for rubes he could take to the cleaners since they didn't know a parsec from a nebula.

Idk... ObiWan did give a "really?" look when Han said it. Obi just went along with the price cuz they were in a hurry?