Kicking myself

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Kicking myself
So a guy I used to work with stopped by last night and I am seriously kicking myself. The back story is that he was saving up for his Mormon mission before he got a better paying job as an EMT. When he stopped by I asked him how his plans for his mission were going. He told me they weren't. Apparently his bishop thought that he was unfit to go on a mission. He's been working crazy hours for the last six months trying to be able to save up to get an apartment and a car before he turns 20 next month. Whereas before he was a stanch defender of Mormonism he expressed to me for the first time his doubts (Which I see as hopeful).

Why I'm kicking myself though is because I didn't give him my number. I could tell from talking to him that he is deeply hurt by not being able to go on his mission. In addition to this his parents took away the car he got as a birthday present when he turned sixteen because he isn't going on his mission. They are pushing him to attend church more, and from what he hinted at they are punishing him constantly for not going on a mission.

Even if he doesn't deconvert, even if he never used it I wish i would have given him my number just so he knew he had someone who would listen. It makes me so frustrated. He is already taking it hard enough, for his parents to pile onto him is just unconscionable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BlkFnx's post
07-07-2017, 10:53 AM
RE: Kicking myself
See if maybe you can find him with Facebook? His EMT group might have a Facebook page too.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
07-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I'd also suggest Facebook. You might be able to look him up there and reconnect. If anything, he could probably use some outside support.
07-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't use FB so the idea didn't even occur to me. I will have to see if I can't find him there. I'm really worried about him. When I said he was taking it hard I was understating it.
[+] 1 user Likes BlkFnx's post
07-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Facebook, instagrame, snapchat, twitter...lot's of social media to choose from. Not to long ago I reconnected with some old high school friends I haven't seen in over 17 years.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin