Kid Nation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Kid Nation
Don't laugh at me for liking this show.

So a couple of months ago my Economics teacher showed our class two interesting shows: The Colony and Kid Nation. As we started watching both shows, my teacher realized we enjoyed Kid Nation more, so we stopped watching The Colony half way through.

Kid Nation was a CBS reality show that aired in 2007, almost 7 years ago. I started watching the episodes on my own time, because they were actually pretty cool. The show was originally proposed as a society experiment. Children ages 8-15 (most in between; I believe the only 8 year old left on episode 1 or 2, and Greg was the 15 year old. Michael turned 15 at the end of the show.) The kids were placed in a little stage town in the middle of a small New Mexican desert, and were challenged with trying to build a functioning town and society within 40 days.

The kids encounter challenges involving having to kill chickens for protein, controlling money, eating properly, religion, town council elections, cleaning up the trash in the town, hygiene, town improvements, communication, entertainment, equality, respect, home sickness, law and order, and job enforcement and completion.

Half of each episode consisted of the children improving one quality within the town and society. Another portion of the show consisted of a challenge relative to the quality being focused on within the town. The children were split into four teams: red, blue, yellow and green. Depending on the placements in the challenges, 1st place were awards upper class within the town. 2nd place became merchants. 3rd place became cooks. 4th place were laborers. If all teams together reached a particular goal during the challenges, or all teams finished the challenge within an allotted period of time, the kids were given an award. They usually chose between two wards. The first was typically something selfish: mini golf course, pizza, etc. The second was typically something important: outhouses, water pumps, beds, etc.

At the end of each episode, the town council members (one leader from each team) got together to discuss a particular kid that worked their butt off the most, or more efficiently helped the town. That child was given a golden star worth $20,000.

Anyways, it's reality TV, but I thought it was a pretty cool show.

My point of this thread is something I found out of pure curiosity. While watching the show, certain kids became my favorites. Usually when I watch any show, I always find myself liking particular people over others. Some of my favorites on the show were Michael, Anjay, Zach, Mike, Blaine, Greg, Sophia and DK. Greg was the oldest, and somewhat of an asshole, but he pulled his weight in challenges and was very nice to younger kids struggling with home sickness. DK was one of my favorites up until some of the last episodes.

At the end of the first season, the show was canceled due to a problem with labor law permits, and incidences with some of the kids. Some little shit named Divad splattered herself with a little grease and her mother threw a fit about it; but it was caught on camera and inserted into the show where Divad made the remark "Oh I'm fine, it happens all the time." very calmly. There was also another incidence with a kid accidentally drinking bleach.

Out of curiosity, several classmates looked up some of the participants and where they are now. I followed Mike, Greg and Zach on Instagram and actually got followed back by them (I hope that doesn't make me creepy) but while watching one of the episodes on youtube, I found Michael posted about his Kid Nation experience on Reddit.

I read through it, and he answers several questions people had to ask about the show. He talks about the relationships and friendships between the kids, incidences that weren't put on the show to avoid lawsuits, and the experience of the reality part of kid nation. His overall experience with what was television experienced wasn't that bad at all. He said the camera crew was actually pretty laid back and nice. Behind the scenes, some camera people would slip him food in his sleeping bag every now and then, and though the camera people cussed carelessly around the children, they didn't interfere with the majority of the show. Most of it was organic, though some of it was planned. He also talked about reasons the show was canceled.

I found his evaluation and answers really interesting, as a fan of the show. It's cool to hear about what things were actually like on the show and off cameras, and overall the experiences of one of the participants, especially one that was one of my favorites.

I may be mistaken, but I believe one of the members commenting back to him in the post may be Mike (the first red council leader) but I may be mistaken. It was strongly hinted though, and Michael's reply back seemed to suggest that the member was either Mike or Sophia (because Sophia and Michael were best friends, and she is often mentioned in many of the answers.)

Man I have too much time on my hands. Big Grin

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
17-11-2013, 07:30 AM
RE: Kid Nation

26-04-2014, 10:00 PM
(16-11-2013 10:20 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Out of curiosity, several classmates looked up some of the participants and where they are now. I followed Mike, Greg and Zach on Instagram and actually got followed back by them (I hope that doesn't make me creepy)

What is Zach's instagram, please?
26-04-2014, 11:08 PM
If I ever did that, I'd start the singularity while they're all fooling around. Eventually, I would build my empire and then conquer the world.

Insulting me will convert me real fast!
MSBB:
Don't let anyone define who you are.
Me:
Can we define him as he defines himself? Or will he define himself as we define how he defines himself? But, if we do that, will we define him as he defines himself based on our definition of how we see him define himself?
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
26-04-2014, 11:22 PM
(26-04-2014 10:00 PM)ardentfangirl Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 10:20 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Out of curiosity, several classmates looked up some of the participants and where they are now. I followed Mike, Greg and Zach on Instagram and actually got followed back by them (I hope that doesn't make me creepy)

What is Zach's instagram, please?

@zachkos_ I believe.

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
26-04-2014, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014 12:16 AM by TheGulegon.)
I was going to read the whole thing....

then I got to the part that explained that 2007 was 7 years ago, and had a break down Weeping Laughat

I kid Tongue I read it Hug

27-04-2014, 07:24 AM
For a minute there I thought I had my own show. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post