Kid's reaction at breakfast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Kid's reaction at breakfast
Once a month, there is an organized breakfast for dads and their kids in my son's school. It is a pretty good program, it mainly focuses on dad's relationships with their kids and they have some questions to get conversations started. They are never religious in nature.

So today was one and something rather interesting happened. They always start the thing off with a quick prayer which I have no problem with since the thing is not funded by the school, but with the parent organization which is privately funded. So the activity today had some of the dads (there were about 200 dad's/kids present) fill out a card that said things like "what do you do on the weekends as a family and how is it important?". So the dad was to write an answer and the kid was to try to answer it in the same way. Kind of fun and the responses are often hilarious. So this one dad who had the question that I just stated said, "we go to church because god is the center of our lives and jesus is the most important thing". When the leader asked the son (he was 8 I think), he answered something on the lines of playing with his dad and spending time with his family was what he loved about the weekend. So the leader tried to get him to answer the question as his dad did and eventually the leader had to actually say it to the boy what his dad wrote. The look on his face was priceless IMO as his nose wrinkled and he shook his head. That was of course until he looked over at his father. His face immediately changed and he said, "well, that is important too." Ugh, I can't imagine the talk he will get tonight when dad gets home. I also can't help but wonder whether I was the only one who was bothered that the boy's face changed as soon as he looked at his father.

As a side note: the leader always tried to steer the kid to what the dad wrote if they said something different and this was the only answer that had religious content.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
17-04-2015, 08:43 AM
RE: Kid's reaction at breakfast
Out of the mouth of babes.........

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Sad. But a cool exercise!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-04-2015, 10:04 AM
I hope that father takes the time to review his perspectives and priorities.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
17-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Is it me or do kids just have a natural reaction of not liking to go to church or really anything that has to do with God/Jesus/religion in general? Haha.

I always pretty much disliked anything remotely religious and I don't think I've ever met or heard of a kid that thought otherwise. It's like our minds just simply repel it.

But then again, I'm sure kids feel the same way about school or really anything that isn't their idea of a fun time.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
17-04-2015, 10:32 AM
(17-04-2015 10:16 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  Is it me or do kids just have a natural reaction of not liking to go to church or really anything that has to do with God/Jesus/religion in general? Haha.

I always pretty much disliked anything remotely religious and I don't think I've ever met or heard of a kid that thought otherwise. It's like our minds just simply repel it.

But then again, I'm sure kids feel the same way about school or really anything that isn't their idea of a fun time.
Not totally related. But my sisters grew up without religion, but many of them became church goers after they had kids. I think the desire for help, structure, community, and belonging drive people to religion. I don't think those concerns burden kids as much, except maybe the desire to belong.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
17-04-2015, 11:17 AM
(17-04-2015 10:16 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  Is it me or do kids just have a natural reaction of not liking to go to church or really anything that has to do with God/Jesus/religion in general? Haha.

That was me. Never really liked church as a kid. I have no fond or warm memories of it whatsoever. Come to think of it, I was told I kicked the bible out of the priest's hands at my baptism, it started really early with me.

While the kid in the story learned a lesson, I bet the father did not learn the lesson that there are much better ways to bond as a family then listening to a sermon.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post
17-04-2015, 12:26 PM
For family bonding - I find a cyanoacrylate works the best.

;D

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-04-2015, 01:50 PM
(17-04-2015 12:26 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  For family bonding - I find a cyanoacrylate works the best.

;D

Laugh out load Nice.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
19-04-2015, 12:49 AM
(17-04-2015 08:03 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  As a side note: the leader always tried to steer the kid to what the dad wrote if they said something different and this was the only answer that had religious content.

as a parent of younger kids, that really saddened me. I would have preferred the leader steer the conversation to what the kids like to do because - well- adults take life too seriously. Weekends around here. tend to be for getting work done that didnt hapoen through the week, laundry, grocery, yard work, projects, and something fun for the kids-- even just a hike on the trails.

that poor kid, up there being honest in front of the whole group, only to be pushed into feeling like his weekend plans arent good enough. Sad

and a lecture at home because Dads ego was probably bruised.

Sad

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller