Kid vs. Jehovah Witness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
RE: Kid vs. Jehovah Witness
Zach
I do agree with the point of respecting individuals but a general respect for people to choose what to believe is also something I feel is necessary. If their beliefs are absurd/ridiculous we have the freedom of speech to openly disagree but as a general rule I try to avoid any attack on other peoples beliefs and simply try to defend my own (example: the evolution is a fairytale forum). That is what I would tell any child of mine. If you are not comfortable talking about it or you think they may become offended simply leave the subject alone.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
RE: Kid vs. Jehovah Witness
(02-07-2011 07:10 AM)Phacops Wrote:  So my boy (who is 5) was in daycare yesterday when a boy (Jehovah Witness) started preaching about god. My son told him there was no god and to get over it and deal. In the heat of the argument some kids started crying as did my son. The teachers obviously did not break it up fast enough as they are instructed to do if religion comes up in class. The teacher also told my wife to have a "talk" with him about what happened. As far as I'm concerned If the JW had not been preaching about god this would never had happened. When I asked my boy what happened he was visibly shaken and cried because he said nobody believed him when he told the JW there was no god. So what do you tell a boy who is taught to think rationally rather than apply god to every unanswered question is the universe. I tell my son that I believe there is no god, that I can't prove it, and evidence suggests that there is not. I also tell him that when he gets older he can decide for himself what he wants to believe. I think this is not going to be the last time something like this happens and I fear that when he gets to middle or high schools things could get worse. So do I teach him to keep his mouth shut and ignore others pushing their beliefs or do I let him have at it?

Whether you decide to teach your son to respect or not respect others religious believes realize that he will most likely always be hopelessly outnumbered. So it sort of boils down to having him "be silent" or "fight" when the subject comes up. Like any situation how well he does is dependent on the tools at his disposal. Telling a 5 year old there is no God (or you don't believe in one) and not arming him for the onslaught of believers is a recipe for disaster. If you decide to take the fight road I would recommend what my friend has armed his young son with.... lots of paradoxes... If there is a God can he destroy himself? Can God make a rock he can't lift? If God can do anything why can't he forgive us? Why would God go with the means if he already knows the ends? These are all red herrings... but they make good diversions for 5 year old's.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply