Kids and gender identity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Kids and gender identity
(09-10-2014 06:48 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 06:43 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I'd bet the reaction would still be the same, since the reaction comes from ignorance. My sister's best friend is VERY gay, no sleep overs were allowed

Yeah.. I know people who would probably object.
But I just
I just don't get it No

Quite the contrary, you do get it!

They don't.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 07:19 PM
People get their panties in twist for silly reasons.

Did the other girls invited know?

If yes, they've already accepted her.
If no, they've already accepted her and hopefully won't cave to pressure to be mean.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I long for the day, when no one worries about ''notifications'', and when people can be true to themselves without angst. That is equality. Or will be.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
09-10-2014, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 09:10 PM by Smercury44.)
(09-10-2014 09:04 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I long for the day, when no one worries about ''notifications'', and when people can be true to themselves without angst. That is equality. Or will be.

Honestly? I long for the day when gender is as mundane of a descriptor as hair color.

EDit: unfortunately I feel like this will not happen in my lifetime No

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
09-10-2014, 09:11 PM
(09-10-2014 09:07 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 09:04 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I long for the day, when no one worries about ''notifications'', and when people can be true to themselves without angst. That is equality. Or will be.

Honestly? I long for the day when gender is as mundane of a descriptor as hair color.

exactly. this whole thing just shows me we have a long way to go. I guess change takes time, but...it's amazing to me that so many people get hurt by discrimination, merely because many other people are unwilling to learn, and rather stay ignorant.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
09-10-2014, 10:29 PM
as a parent with kids in this age range, i would probably want to know who is going to be there. adults and children. But not because this particular child identifies as the opposite gender but just because i know some kids get along better than others, i know certain kids will cause drama, another one will go home crying for some reason that makes completely no sense to an adult, and a bazillion other things that little girls turn into the end of the world. if i know who is there i can be ready for the morning after. lol.

i am more concerned with older teens an adults and their inappropriate behavior than i am about other kids their age. And yes, we discuss sex, inappropriate behavior in adults, molestation, drinking drugs, weapons, as well as jumping around like a monkey on the furniture. i cover it all.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-10-2014, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 08:18 AM by Mathilda.)
I'm not at all surprised by the parent's behaviour, but I am impressed by the members of TTA on this thread.

It's all about ignorance. Someone mentioned that the parents wouldn't be concerned if a gay boy had been invited instead, but that wouldn't be the case 20 or 30 years ago. Trans issues are going through the same process, just a bit later.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
10-10-2014, 06:13 AM
(09-10-2014 10:29 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  as a parent with kids in this age range, i would probably want to know who is going to be there. adults and children. But not because this particular child identifies as the opposite gender but just because i know some kids get along better than others, i know certain kids will cause drama, another one will go home crying for some reason that makes completely no sense to an adult, and a bazillion other things that little girls turn into the end of the world. if i know who is there i can be ready for the morning after. lol.

i am more concerned with older teens an adults and their inappropriate behavior than i am about other kids their age. And yes, we discuss sex, inappropriate behavior in adults, molestation, drinking drugs, weapons, as well as jumping around like a monkey on the furniture. i cover it all.

I agree. I guess that's what gets me about this situation. The mother only became concerned about who was there after she found out. If she was truly concerned about her child's welfare she could have asked beforehand.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
10-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Would it be all right for a 12 year old boy who identified as gay to be there?

Would it be all right for a 12 year old girl who identified as gay to be there?

Would it be all right for a 12 year old boy who identified as a boy to be there?
10-10-2014, 06:51 AM
(10-10-2014 06:29 AM)Rik Wrote:  Would it be all right for a 12 year old boy who identified as gay to be there?

Would it be all right for a 12 year old girl who identified as gay to be there?

Would it be all right for a 12 year old boy who identified as a boy to be there?

Yes
Yes
No, I was a 12 year old boy once, I know how they think. Wink

Regardless of gender identities I would want to know who was going to be there before I gave my kid the OK.
One issue I might have is the feeling that what's best for my child has been decided by someone else without my knowledge.
I have more problems with that than the issue of the childs sexual identity.