Kids, perceptive, goofy and well just generally entertaining.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2016, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 08:41 AM by DLJ.)
Kids, perceptive, goofy and well just generally entertaining.
Thought it might be fun to share some stories about kids, either your own or someone else's or even about when you were a kid.

What brought this to mind was on FB there was a post about this story:

http://shareably.net/little-boy-and-man-...0a784531ce

and I had one or two stories like this of my own. Children can be so honestly perceptive. I do enjoy that about them. Smile

My 5yrs old daughter and I were in a hardware store and she saw an older man talking with a voice enhancer because he'd had his voice box removed. She said, "Mommy, why does that man talk like a robot?" He was not very far away and I knew he'd heard her question. I told her he'd had surgery and he couldn't talk like we did anymore but that he had a special mechanical box put in his throat and the little thing he held up to his neck made sure we could hear him, like a stereo speaker.

She said, "Wow, he's lucky, he still gets to talk to his grandchildren then doesn't he?" "Yep", I replied.

The man approached us and thanked me for giving an explantion instead of just shushing her. That it always worried him that he might frighten children with his voice. She asked him, "Does it hurt?" He smiled and said, "No but it does give me a cool robot voice, doesn't it?" She smiled back at him, "Yeah, really cool."

Made his day. Made mine too.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Heatheness's post
29-05-2016, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 08:40 AM by carol.)
RE: Kids, percetive, goofy and well just generally entertaining.
My youngest son was easily influenced by his older brother, and like many older brothers do, the older one protected him, teased him and tormented him depending on his mood that day. One day, I was making grilled cheese sandwiches, and the youngest wouldn't eat one. Afer giving his sandwich to his older brother, he looked miserable. He usually loved grilled cheese sandwiches and I asked him why he wouldn't eat it, while his older brother was grinning away, enjoying the extra grilled cheese and the conversation. The younger one told me that his brother had told him that because he was a boy, he may no longer have "girled cheeses" only "boyed cheeses". I made him his own "boyed cheese" that day. Big Grin It was impossible to reason wth him about it, he was just too young and stubborn about it. We had several months of "boyed cheese" sandwiches before he was willing to eat grilled cheese again. My older son thought it was hilarious.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 6 users Like carol's post
29-05-2016, 08:50 AM
RE: Kids, perceptive, goofy and well just generally entertaining.
I'll have to tell a story on myself...

I was born on the Outer Banks of NC. After moving to the Midwest when I was about two we visited family there about every other year. It was a great treat to get to go to the beach with my aunts (even though they loved to tell me that I wasn't born but rather a seagull shit me on the beach) and to get to go deep sea fishing with my grandfather...who called me Cap'n.

Since we lived in a trailer with little space until I was nine I was allowed a hamster as a pet. I studied Pinkie's behavior quite closely it seems.

On the way to the beach one day we stopped to eat. Typical sandwich of some sort and French fries. As we continued to the beach one of my aunts asked why my checks were all puffed out. I strangled out the explanation...I had stuffed my cheeks with French fries in case I got hungry later at the beach. Seemed like a good plan. I think I was about five or six. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post
29-05-2016, 11:33 AM
When my son was young, maybe kindergarten or 1st grade, they had a no smoking thing for the school and also included the younger classes. He was so impressed he became what we called the "Smoker Nazi". No one in our family or friends smoked but when we were out if he saw someone smoking it was nothing for him to walk right up to them and tell them, "Smoking is bad for you and you need to stop!"

One day at the grocery store he and I were walking in and I did not see the man sitting on the bench in the shade but he did. I did not have a firm grip on his hand and he pulled away and made for the man. I called him back but was ignored, he was on a mission. He stopped in front of this guy and pointing at the cigarette, he very clearly said, "That is going to kill you!" I was mortified. As I grabbed his arm the man said, "You're right. I guess I'd better quit." My son, seeing the man as grandfatherly, said, "Yes you better, cause your grandkids will cry if you don't." "Okay then," the man put out his cig and smiled at my son. Before I could apologize, he held up his hand and said, "Thanks."

We had a little talk with my son about his approach to sharing non-smoking information and the cig assaults finally quit. But I always wondered if that guy really did quit. He seemed so sincere when he told us that he would.

***btw, my son did smoke for a while as an adult, then he went to e-cigs, then he quit. All in all only about 3yrs before he gave it up. So happy about that.

The first I found out about him smoking I reminded him of his story. All he said was, "I was kid, mom." Ass. Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
29-05-2016, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 03:26 PM by unsapien.)
Years ago, my wife called me at work and she was livid about a bill she had just gotten in the mail (I can't remember what kind of bill it was, probably phone or cable).

And she started Yelling at me through the phone something like this is "crazy I'm going to call the president of (what ever the company was) and demand an explanation" etc... on and on for a few minutes. She was so angry and yelling so loud through the phone that 2 of my co-workers in the neighboring cubicles could here her. And all I said was Yes... ok...I will look into it...and stuff like that.

My co-corkers said "oh man what did you do?" and I said "nothing, she just needed to vent."

I said our "2nd conversation will be more productive". And they laughed.

But then I was shocked...cause she called me back a few minutes later and told me that our son (then about 5ish) insisted that "daddy didn't deserve you yelling at him like that, and you should call him back and apologize".

And that's why she was calling to apologize to me for yelling!

I laughed, and she did too... and whatever the she was mad about was gone.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 5 users Like unsapien's post
29-05-2016, 04:46 PM
One day when my son was nine we had had plans to go hiking but I took ill with a nasty cold so we scotched that. My son was a little bored and asked me for ideas, so I pulled out two non-operational PC towers and told him he could have fun taking them apart and seeing how computers were put together. He took them out to my toolshed and was busy entertaining himself as I dozed ... until he came and roused me a couple of hours later -- "Dad, come check this out!"

He had taken the parts from both, and put them together in one cabinet until he got a good boot-up. Freakin' amazed me.

That was his personal computer for two years, until we upgraded.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-05-2016, 05:14 PM
When one of my cousins was little...maybe four...she was upset after being corrected by her mother for something she did. Cousin threatened to call and report my aunt to the Child Abruise people.

There was a family that we knew on Ft. Jackson who had three girls. The youngest was pretty young...maybe three. They came to the house one evening and I complimented her appearance...she said, "I know, I'm a door bell."

My oldest and I still refer to an adorable kid as being a door bell.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
29-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Fun topic and funny stories.

We have 4 boys, kind of close in age. Plus we have nephews and other kids that would stop by. My wife would always make sure around Halloween to buy extra pumpkins for the kids. There would be pumpkins on the porch and front yard. Maybe a dozen.
When my youngest son was around 4 we drove by a house that had pumpkins for sale. Who knows how many. Maybe a thousand.
My son in amazement said "Wow!!! They must have a lot of kids!"
[+] 6 users Like edbaldwin's post
29-05-2016, 06:30 PM
(29-05-2016 06:23 PM)edbaldwin Wrote:  Fun topic and funny stories.

We have 4 boys, kind of close in age. Plus we have nephews and other kids that would stop by. My wife would always make sure around Halloween to buy extra pumpkins for the kids. There would be pumpkins on the porch and front yard. Maybe a dozen.
When my youngest son was around 4 we drove by a house that had pumpkins for sale. Who knows how many. Maybe a thousand.
My son in amazement said "Wow!!! They must have a lot of kids!"

Laugh out load Got to love'em. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
29-05-2016, 08:03 PM
In that vein, I was driving up to visit my parents, ca 1986. My eldest son, about 2 at the time, asked if we were going there. I said, "Yes, if you hold our mouth right." It got quiet in the back seat, so I glanced back to see him with both hands over his mouth. I laughed and explained the saying to him. Smart as a whip, that one. Talking clearly at 7 months, and able to ride a bike at 3, without training wheels.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post