Killing Cancer with the HIV virus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Killing Cancer with the HIV virus
http://www.upworthy.com/long-shot-doctor...?g=2&c=bl3

This video and story amazed me. Science prevails, and my apologies if this was posted before but I didn't find it while reading back a bit and thought it was a very cool story showing where the fight against cancer may be heading.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AtheistTeacher's post
23-06-2013, 10:24 AM
RE: Killing Cancer with the HIV virus
Help me out here Teach - I'm having trouble accessing the story - is there a transcript I could read? Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Dr Carl June (and I assume his team) have engineered the HIV virus so it can't cause disease (I assume this means it wont develop into AIDS??), but it can program the immune system to attack tumor cells.
There was a little girl in the video, she'd tried everything, she was basically gonna die. They infected her immune system with this engineered HIV virus. It caused her to become extremely sick, but after a while she rapidly became better (4hours) and the HIV started killing all her tumor cells and basically destroyed her cancer.

If it's true (can't find anything to the contrary on google), then it is certainly amazing.
Goes to show too the amazing feet our body has to overcome things. With a little tweak we can train our immune system to kill cancer.

This is what I'm getting from it anyway.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
23-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the summary earmuff! I found the video on youtube, for anyone who couldn't get the upworthy page to load maybe this will help Smile

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
[+] 1 user Likes AtheistTeacher's post
23-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow - that is amazing! Thanks for the skinny, Muffs.

I know HIV has the ability to mimic and replicate really fast. I didn't even know they'd mapped it's genome, which is what you'd have to do to tweak it like that to make it essentially, just the mechanism without HIV.

Wow, I knew they were discussing kind virus capability thing a few years ago but, there was such a controversy I thought the idea was just set aside. I'm going to look for more of this. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-06-2013, 11:09 AM
I haven't watch this yet, but yes, Sloan-Kettering in NY is treating Leukemia and Lymphoma this way, (in principle, not with HIV). I'll find some links.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
23-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah! I was able to see it on YT. OMG! That little girl was so cute!!

So, from what I'm understanding... they injected her entire system. Which means, any tests she has done... she will show up HIV positive.

Smile I can not say how incredible this is. There are no words.

This is probably what I read about this procedure last year.

23-06-2013, 11:33 AM
(23-06-2013 11:13 AM)kim Wrote:  Yeah! I was able to see it on YT. OMG! That little girl was so cute!!

So, from what I'm understanding... they injected her entire system. Which means, any tests she has done... she will show up HIV positive.

Smile I can not say how incredible this is. There are no words.

This is probably what I read about this procedure last year.

Then again, its also the plot behind I Am Legend.......

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
23-06-2013, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2013 11:49 AM by kim.)
(23-06-2013 11:33 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Then again, its also the plot behind I Am Legend.......

It is? I've never seen that. Is it worth a rent?

Holy crap - I just looked at the cast an wonder why I haven't see this yet. Emma Thompson is in it - how could I not know this? Blink

I'm on it. Thumbsup

23-06-2013, 11:52 AM
They have been treating bladder cancer with modified tuberculosis for a long time - works well if the cancer is still very localized.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man