Killing camels for Global Warming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Killing camels for Global Warming
http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/06...?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:Like cows, camels are ruminants, and the fermentation that takes place during their digestion causes them to belch and, er, otherwise emit methane — a lot of methane. Every camel releases about 100 pounds of methane per year, or the equivalent of about a quarter of the emissions of the average American car.
As Australia struggles to get out from under its status as the world's largest carbon emitter per capita, at least one company has sensed an opportunity. Under the nation's Carbon Farming Initiative, a plan to help combat emissions that was submitted to parliament yesterday, Adelaide-based company Northwest Carbon has suggested the nation solve its camel crisis by putting a price on the animals' heads — on the carbon market. Under the scheme, companies and individuals would receive carbon credits for shooting camels by helicopter or truck, or herding them and taking them to slaughterhouses.

Am I the only one scratching her head in disbelief? First the notion that camel farts would be crucial to global warming. Second that this would actually be something humans should act upon. Third, that the action suggested is mass killing of said animals. Fourth, that the killing is done mostly using helicopters and trucks, which (I am just guessing here...) emit more toxic fumes than camel farts.
I don't know, maybe I am not seeing the full picture here? Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of controlling invasive species. But to turn it into a "Farts for Global Warming" issue sounds rather ridiculous.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2011, 03:13 PM
RE: Killing camels for Global Warming
I know people say that cows play hell with our environment(not just the gases, but taking up and trampling areas), which is why they try to cut down on their vast numbers by boycotting various products from cows. Mass camel slaughterer is a little bit different though.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
16-06-2011, 03:31 PM
(16-06-2011 03:13 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I know people say that cows play hell with our environment(not just the gases, but taking up and trampling areas), which is why they try to cut down on their vast numbers by boycotting various products from cows. Mass camel slaughterer is a little bit different though.

I do believe it's a rather arrogant position on some people's part to think they have the right to decide which and how many animals should be permitted to live due to some rather unclear idea of "what's good for the planet". The cows and the camels (and human beings for that matter) are all part of the planet, so shouldn't their good be part of the good of the planet?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
18-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Well this is just stupid.
You can gather the methane , it's been done with cows.
Quote:I do believe it's a rather arrogant position on some people's part to think they have the right to decide which and how many animals should be permitted to live due to some rather unclear idea of "what's good for the planet".
Well that's the issue. All domestic animals don't exist by natural but by artificial selection.
That said i would never approve mass slaughter for any reason. Stop breeding of such livestock - maybe under extreme circumstances , but mass sluaghter - never.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin