Killing for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Killing for God
I am a fairly new atheist, and my girlfriend is a very devout Christian. Usually our differences don't affect our relationship, but last night we started talking about God and faith, and she told me she loves God more than me, and that she would have to put God before me. This really hurt, and then I asked here if I could ask her a tough question. I told her if she felt it was unfair of me to ask or if she needed time to think about it, that was ok. I then asked her if God told her to kill me, would she do it? And without hesitation, she said yes. My girlfriend would kill me out of faith in an invisible, highly improbable, and really not very great being: God. I could almost feel my love for her disappear. It just vanished. I realized this was insane, and it is the nail in the coffin for me on religion. If religion could convince a person as smart, and kind, and reasonable as her, that it would be ok to kill someone, then I want no part in religion. It scares the hell out of me that she said that. In a way I still love her, but I can't look at her the same now. Was this unfair of me to ask? I didn't know how she was going to answer, and it wasn't meant to be a gotcha question or anything. I was just curious.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
RE: Killing for God
You better hope your gf is just a run-of-the-mill-delusional Christian and not completely insane or else you better sleep with one eye open from now on. Blink

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
"Religion poisons everything", Christopher Hitchens
Here's your future:
She'll talk to some of her religious friends and they tell her to leave you, that she needs to be with other believers. There are passages in the bible they will point to. In short, God will tell her to leave and if she would kill you she will surely leave you.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post
09-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, off the bat she told you that she doesn't love you all that much, and then she is willing to kill you for religion... I would end that. It's not going any place good.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
09-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I thnk the 3 posts above pretty much explain the situation and what to do. Sorry she is that deluded.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
09-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I tend to agree with the above but post a picture of her for a definite recommendation.
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
09-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Millions of fish in the sea, buddy. Not all of them are willing to kill you if an imagined voice instructs them to.

That's really hard to take, I hope you guys haven't been together for very long. Sad
09-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm such a tool. Big Grin

I rad the title, and go, Gwynnies? Because I am insanely in love with Gwyneth Paltrow, and have devised a simulated theology as an expression of said love - tool, remember - yet it is an effective philosophy. For instance, I would devour you all for my Gwynnies; but she's too sweet and adorable to ever want such a thing. Theists tend to be proud of these extravagant expressions of faith, but they are the empty boast of the butterfly whose coloration only mimics the monarch. Such declarations only appease the collective unease of the peer group, whose individuals would wet themselves if circumstance should dictate such faith be proven.

For if there should be God, such cannot be less than Gwyneth; yet the love I feel for her is not lessened by expression, but rather enhanced. The "devour the world for my Gwynnies" is merely an expression of ego. What occurs, is that the world may devour me for my Gwynnies. Heart

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
09-07-2012, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 03:44 PM by Ghost.)
Hey, Noah.

Don't listen to any of them. We know sweet fuck all about you, her, or your relationship.

You're in love. That's real.

Now. This issue.

If you need her to put you above everything, then THAT is the issue. Would you feel the same if she said she loved herself more than you? Her career? The kids? You know this woman. If you know she has love for you, enough love that you'll be happy and you trust that love, then stop being a penis, love her, and stay. Again, if you want her to be all about you, then, well, she's told you she can't be. That happens. Sucks, but it happens.

As for the kill you if God asks, dude, it was a loaded question. You got a loaded answer. You asked for it. Now, ask her if she's in direct communication with God or if she's getting coded messages through her foil hat. Facetious I know, but you get what I mean. If it's just that her faith means a lot to her and she gave you a blunt answer to your closed ultimatum-style question, then there's no issue, unless you have an issue with her being a woman of faith (and that's who she is, so love it or leave it). If she's a raving lunatic hearing voices telling her to kill you, well, that's just deranged, son. Run. Run fast. But from what you've said, it doesn't sound that way.

Look man, mixed cultural marriages/relationships are tricky. End of story. If it's too much for you, then that's honest, end it. But if you love this woman, knowing who she is and knowing what's important to her, then stop asking ninny insecure questions and love her.

ON EDIT:

Just a personal question for yourself. Just think about it. No one here needs to know the answer. How much of your disdain for her faith, and by extension her, is a projection rooted in your own feelings of, I don't even know, feeling played, betrayed, whathaveyou, by religion? She still loves, more than you, the very thing you just forsook. I mention this just to make sure that you're carefully separating your own feelings from her the woman.

PS: How does this woman feel about you being an Atheist? Does she still love you even though you forsook the thing most important to her? If so, that's some hard core love, son.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
09-07-2012, 03:38 PM
(09-07-2012 11:27 AM)noahitch Wrote:  she told me she loves God more than me, and that she would have to put God before me.

To love God more than anything or anyone else is the understanding that a Christian comes to about reality.
As someone who has come to the conclusion that God does exist, I love Him more than anything or anyone. This doesn't mean that I have a puny amount of love left over for anyone else, it just means that when it comes down to it, the creator of the Cosmos has more authority than anyone else. My love for Him is much different than my love for anyone else.
I love my mother in a different way than I love my wife. I would have to say that I love my wife more than my mother at this point. Not because I have harsh feelings towards my mother, but because the intensity of what I feel towards my wife is stronger and different than what I feel towards my mother.
If the girl you love is a devout Christian and she has a love for God that is expressed differently than her love for you, then please do not be disheartened. She is telling the truth about what she believes.

Quote:I then asked her if God told
her to kill me, would she do it? And without hesitation, she said yes.
In this instance, you are asking a question that is testing her faith. In essence you are leaving her with a dilemma: either a.) She lies to you and denies her faith by saying that she would not kill you if God asked her to. Or b.) She stays honest with you and stays honest with her faith.

One problem is that in this age, God would most likely never ask her to kill you. In fact, I am most certain that He would never demand that of her since he would be making an exception for her against His law. This is where the skeptics come in and talk about the wrathful God of the Narrative Old Testament. -_- Spare me... I beg.

So, if you understand what I mean, it honestly is a hard question.
Depending on the situation, I want to assume that she does love you, and cares about you, but if you give her a dilemma like that, you are putting her on the spot and setting her up to deny her loyalty to what she believes.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde