Kim Davis: It's not MY fault

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2015, 10:09 PM
RE: Kim Davis: It's not MY fault
(25-09-2015 09:56 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 09:38 PM)pablo Wrote:  Actually, what you said was that a governor would "tell the U.S.Marshalls to fuck-off" if they came to arrest him, not why.

Rod Blagojevich did not have an opportunity to prevent himself from not being hauled off before a magistrate. Further, Rod wasn't jailed until he was removed from office. He was immediately released on his own recognizance after he was arrested and charged.

(25-09-2015 09:38 PM)pablo Wrote:  Anyway, in 2013 then Cal.gov. Jerry Brown was threatened to be held in contempt if he did not comply with a previous ruling.

Threatened is not the same as being held and jailed. Brown would have made a calculation. Comply with the judges order and engage in a conflict. Had Brown decided to engage in a conflict as Davis did, he probably would have taken steps not to have himself jailed. But it is Brown and you never really know with that guy.

Here is the point, in both cases the courts had the power to arrest and charge. In the case of Brown, the threat of a charge was enough to get him to comply.
Now that this has been established, it is safe to say that a clerk who has repeatedly refused to comply with a court order can, and will be held in contempt of court. If she still refuses to comply, jail it is.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
25-09-2015, 10:48 PM
(25-09-2015 10:09 PM)pablo Wrote:  Here is the point, in both cases the courts had the power to arrest and charge. In the case of Brown, the threat of a charge was enough to get him to comply.
Now that this has been established, it is safe to say that a clerk who has repeatedly refused to comply with a court order can, and will be held in contempt of court. If she still refuses to comply, jail it is.

This sounds perfectly reasonable to a foreigner. What I fail to understand is this: Why is a clerk elected???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
25-09-2015, 10:56 PM
(25-09-2015 08:07 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 04:26 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Courts can jail officials for being in contempt. That they're elected is irrelevant legally.

Courts can hold elected officials in contempt. That is one thing. Putting them in jail is another. Nixon was almost held in contempt but I believe the consensus was it would be unconstitutional for the Supreme Court to jail a sitting President. Even if they did, I doubt the order would be carried out.

Perhaps you're right regarding the political implications, but the courts are empowered to order such an arrest.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-09-2015, 11:15 PM
(25-09-2015 02:32 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I forgive you for calling me a dick.

I forgive you for being a dick.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
25-09-2015, 11:34 PM
(25-09-2015 11:15 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 02:32 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I forgive you for calling me a dick.

I forgive you for being a dick.

I forgive you for calling me a dick Losty. How are your kids doing? Awesome I hope.
25-09-2015, 11:34 PM
[Image: hate_hags.jpg?itok=MUxWGfVe]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
26-09-2015, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2015 12:25 AM by pablo.)
(25-09-2015 10:56 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 08:07 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Courts can hold elected officials in contempt. That is one thing. Putting them in jail is another. Nixon was almost held in contempt but I believe the consensus was it would be unconstitutional for the Supreme Court to jail a sitting President. Even if they did, I doubt the order would be carried out.

Perhaps you're right regarding the political implications, but the courts are empowered to order such an arrest.

Something Heywood is skipping over here. Unlike Davis, Nixon resigned before any contempt charges could be filed. After Ford was sworn in as president, he pardoned Nixon.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
26-09-2015, 01:39 AM
(26-09-2015 12:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 10:56 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Perhaps you're right regarding the political implications, but the courts are empowered to order such an arrest.

Something Heywood is skipping over here. Unlike Davis, Nixon resigned before any contempt charges could be filed. After Ford was sworn in as president, he pardoned Nixon.

Yes I know. I actually watched it on TV on the news.

I am well aware Heywood has been obfuscating.

[Image: obfuscate-1.jpg]

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
26-09-2015, 08:44 AM
(26-09-2015 01:39 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 12:22 AM)pablo Wrote:  Something Heywood is skipping over here. Unlike Davis, Nixon resigned before any contempt charges could be filed. After Ford was sworn in as president, he pardoned Nixon.

Yes I know. I actually watched it on TV on the news.

President Andrew Jackson and President Abraham Lincoln both defied Supreme Court rulings. Jackson was reported to have said, "John Marshall has made his decision now let him enforce it". Lincoln suspended the writ of Habeus Corpus and was ordered by the circuit court to re-instate it. Lincoln just ignored the order by the Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Taney(who was riding the circuit at the time).
26-09-2015, 08:46 AM
(26-09-2015 08:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 01:39 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yes I know. I actually watched it on TV on the news.

President Andrew Jackson and President Abraham Lincoln both defied Supreme Court rulings. Jackson was reported to have said, "John Marshall has made his decision now let him enforce it". Lincoln suspended the writ of Habeus Corpus and was ordered by the circuit court to re-instate it. Lincoln just ignored the order by the Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Taney(who was riding the circuit at the time).

What is your point?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.