Kim Davis: It's not MY fault

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2015, 08:58 AM
RE: Kim Davis: It's not MY fault
(26-09-2015 08:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 08:44 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  President Andrew Jackson and President Abraham Lincoln both defied Supreme Court rulings. Jackson was reported to have said, "John Marshall has made his decision now let him enforce it". Lincoln suspended the writ of Habeus Corpus and was ordered by the circuit court to re-instate it. Lincoln just ignored the order by the Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Taney(who was riding the circuit at the time).

What is your point?

Had a court decided to hold Nixon in contempt, he could have simply told them to FuckOff. Nixon would first have to be removed from office(via impeachment) before he could be arrested and jailed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2015, 09:07 AM
(26-09-2015 08:58 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 08:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  What is your point?

Had a court decided to hold Nixon in contempt, he could have simply told them to FuckOff. Nixon would first have to be removed from office(via impeachment) before he could be arrested and jailed.

I'm curious, do you have a value of one of these situations being worse or better than the other? By which I mean, a minor jail sentence or completely losing your job and position?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-09-2015, 09:11 AM

You don't know that. He seemed worried enough to resign.
26-09-2015, 09:16 AM

No. That is not true. A president is simply the head of the executive branch of government... other members of that same branch are cops. Cops are arrested all the time for not doing their job or performing illegally within their job. The law is to be upheld by any member of government whether hired or elected. No one is above the law.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
26-09-2015, 09:19 AM
(26-09-2015 09:16 AM)kim Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 08:58 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Had a court decided to hold Nixon in contempt, he could have simply told them to FuckOff. Nixon would first have to be removed from office(via impeachment) before he could be arrested and jailed.

No. That is not true. A president is simply the head of the executive branch of government... other members of that same branch are cops. Cops are arrested all the time for not doing their job or performing illegally within their job. The law is to be upheld by any member of government whether hired or elected. No one is above the law.

They sometimes forget they aren't above it though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-09-2015, 09:28 AM
(26-09-2015 09:11 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 08:58 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Had a court decided to hold Nixon in contempt, he could have simply told them to FuckOff. Nixon would first have to be removed from office(via impeachment) before he could be arrested and jailed.

You don't know that. He seemed worried enough to resign.

He was worried about being impeached and then criminally prosecuted after he was out of office. He wasn't worried the court would find him in contempt and jail him. That would never happen.
26-09-2015, 09:28 AM

What relevance does that have to this? If Kim Davis was the queen of Amazonia she could also tell the court to fuck off. She's not.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-09-2015, 09:30 AM
(26-09-2015 09:19 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 09:16 AM)kim Wrote:  No. That is not true. A president is simply the head of the executive branch of government... other members of that same branch are cops. Cops are arrested all the time for not doing their job or performing illegally within their job. The law is to be upheld by any member of government whether hired or elected. No one is above the law.

They sometimes forget they aren't above it though.

Yep.
And ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

I grew up during the Nixon years ... a learning experience in action. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-09-2015, 09:32 AM
(26-09-2015 09:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 09:11 AM)pablo Wrote:  You don't know that. He seemed worried enough to resign.

He was worried about being impeached and then criminally prosecuted after he was out of office. He wasn't worried the court would find him in contempt and jail him. That would never happen.

How do you know that?
26-09-2015, 09:36 AM
(26-09-2015 09:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  

What relevance does that have to this? If Kim Davis was the queen of Amazonia she could also tell the court to fuck off. She's not.

The question is do you want to give judicial branch the authority to jail the executive branch if they they don't like what the executive branch is doing? If so do you want to give the executive branch the authority to jail the judicial branch if they don't like what they are doing?

In our system, resolution for an executive who is not doing there job is impeachment. It is not throwing them in jail