Kinda sorta out of the closet but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Kinda sorta out of the closet but...
I'm slowly coming out as an atheist. My wife knows as well as a few friends. My parents and grandparents still don't know, neither do my in-laws. Since my brother passed away last September my parents are much more religious than ever before. My Dad says grace before dinner now and even tried to get me to say it the other day but I blew it off because I couldn't come up with a way to thank the farmers and not Jebus. I'm not hiding that I'm an atheist anymore, but I'm not openly bragging about it either. I do have my brand new TTA coffee cup on my desk at work but I seriously doubt anyone knows the symbol. I also have mybrand new TTA t-shirt that I am looking forward to wearing around.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to truly tell my parents how I no longer believe. My brother's birthday falls on Easter of this year so of course my parents want me to come home but I have my own family to worry about as well. Easter is still a big deal for my wife, she's Catholic. I'm not sure what to do.

This post was originally just supposed to be a brag post about me getting my TTA mug and t-shirt in the mail yesterday.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like USMCLoggy's post
06-03-2015, 10:28 AM
RE: Kinda sorta out of the closet but...
I'd do what your wife wants, you don't sleep in the bed with your brother. If she wants you at church on Easter Sunday morning, because it IS a big deal to her, well, put on your Sunday best and be a doting husband.

My soon to be ex husband of 8 1/2 years is a Christian and I'm an atheist, I deconverted last spring after years of doubts. Differences of religion can drive quite the wedge between you.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
07-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Ones you realize god's a quack there's no going back.
[+] 1 user Likes d4w6zBak's post
07-03-2015, 06:09 PM
I never really wanted my mother to know, but was outed by my oldest child. My mother told me it was a bit hard to ignore when my children were over for a sleepover and Miss 7-at-the-time would regularly say things like "My Daddy doesn't go to church because he's an atheist" Smile

These things eventually come out in their own time. You don't have to push them to happen. My approach was to find this and other forums to vent in and let things progress at their own pace.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
07-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Enjoy your shirt, I love mine Smile

[Image: nxq4bc.jpg]

and my other favorite.....I wonder why ..Consider

[Image: e5fb6a.jpg]

Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
08-03-2015, 10:47 PM
As long as your wife knows and knows that forcing you to pray and do church like activities is wrong. Then just keeping her company while she does something like that is fine.

I am sure there are things you do, or have done with her that she didn't really like at all.

As far as your parents go. You should just come out and say it the next time they ask you to do a prayer or something.

I too have an atheist shirt form here! I got the weapons grade face palm one! I am thinking of getting the "he's not coming back, get over it with the crucified jesus shirt" from one of the other stores soon. The we love atheism is also a good shirt too! It will be my next purchase.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
09-03-2015, 08:59 AM
I got the t-shirt that has just the TTA symbol on it. I actually had a couple of people ask me about it while I was out and about on Saturday. Thanks for the advice about everything else too. I really appreciate it.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
09-03-2015, 09:44 AM
invite your parents to join you and your wife.

I realize they may not be Catholic, but, IMO, that is perfect. It will help in the future when you explain that their ways don't feel comfortable to you.

its an opportunity to plant a seed to use in the future, and it will make your wife happy- bonus points.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
09-03-2015, 11:43 AM
(09-03-2015 09:44 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  invite your parents to join you and your wife.

I realize they may not be Catholic, but, IMO, that is perfect. It will help in the future when you explain that their ways don't feel comfortable to you.

its an opportunity to plant a seed to use in the future, and it will make your wife happy- bonus points.

That's a good idea and I might find a way to use that sometime. My wife and dad are Catholic and my mom is Baptist. I was raised baptist since my grandfather was the pastor of the church we went to. Needless to say there is a strange dynamic when it comes to which church is right. Obviously I don't care since I think they are all wrong. I did find it very humorous a couple of weeks ago when my dad said he didn't believe in superstitions and ghosts.

-Carl Sagan
09-03-2015, 12:15 PM
(09-03-2015 11:43 AM)USMCLoggy Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 09:44 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  invite your parents to join you and your wife.

That's a good idea and I might find a way to use that sometime. My wife and dad are Catholic and my mom is Baptist. I was raised baptist since my grandfather was the pastor of the church we went to. Needless to say there is a strange dynamic when it comes to which church is right. Obviously I don't care since I think they are all wrong. I did find it very humorous a couple of weeks ago when my dad said he didn't believe in superstitions and ghosts.

six months later......

Hey Mom, remeber when you went to the Catholic church at Easter and thought to yourself that it was wrong and felt uncomfortable and you didnt want to be there because they don't feel the same as you about god.....yeah, thats how I feel too about your church. Thumbsup:

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post