Poll: Are you planing on getting an e-reader?
Yes
No
I already own one
I haven't decided
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Kindle (and other e-Readers)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2011, 10:04 AM

RE: Kindle (and other e-Readers)
I was given a Kindle (by request) for the Holidays. I love it, I love the fact that by the time I click on the payment from the Amazon website, it is already on my Kindle (if I have the WiFi on). I received the 6" version, I have a friend who has the 9" and it seemed to bulky. With mine and being Winter here, I can easily place it in my inner coat pocket and have it with me at all times. Which I can do with some paperbacks,as well I suppose.

Overall love it.. and thanks to Meh, I will be downloading the software to migrate books..
Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2011, 06:52 AM

I was looking into Kindle as well. Possibly buying a used one, because at the $139 price i simply do not read enough to make it worthwhile (I don't think it's expensive though). Then I saw on the site that you can download Kindle apps for free for your PC/Ipad/etc. My netbook would be PERFECT for this! I can download books for $10 or whatever, and not commit myself to buying a Kindle e-book reader and trying to read a dozen books to make up for the price compared to real books. I saw used copies of "End of Faith" for $2.11+shipping that is way cheaper then the ebook and I would get to put something on my bookshelf. Tongue

Some books that I plan on reading such as "God is not Great" I might rather have on an electronic device rather then sitting around the house incase one of my family members pops over and sees the cover, lol.
25-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Even though I have a kindle, there are some books that I do buy the actual books. For instance, the book I am now on I bought the hard cover of, it was $1 or so more than the e-book. I also saw one where a used copy of a book, was cheaper than the e-book with shipping, I got the physical book.

For instance, all of Dawkins books.. Are actual books. I want my kids to read him someday, not that they can't on a kindle, but since I don't have them yet (kids that is) who knows what new media will be out there in 20 years.
26-01-2011, 02:33 AM
(03-09-2010 04:50 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  this may or may not be the right place for this, but I am considering buying a Kindle.

I am an avid reader, and find that on long trips (more than a week), I run out of things to read. I like to travel light, and thought an e-reader would be the best option.

I have a small library at home, and it is growing every time I am there. I buy most of my books from the used book store, and anything that I have on Kindle, I would most likely purchase for my shelf as well. After all the fun part of reading and learning is the sharing. And I'm not going to loan out a Kindle.

Plus, I like the idea of having all of my books on a shelf, so my library isn't going anywhere and will continue to grow.

I may be straddling the fence on the whole e-reader issue, but I don't see them replacing printed books, just as digital music sales didn't kill CD sales (yet).

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Get One! I own the least expensive "Nook"

The Beauty of The Scientific Method , is the Anticipation of a Better Explanation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2011, 09:18 PM

(03-09-2010 04:50 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  this may or may not be the right place for this, but I am considering buying a Kindle.

I am an avid reader, and find that on long trips (more than a week), I run out of things to read. I like to travel light, and thought an e-reader would be the best option.

I have a small library at home, and it is growing every time I am there. I buy most of my books from the used book store, and anything that I have on Kindle, I would most likely purchase for my shelf as well. After all the fun part of reading and learning is the sharing. And I'm not going to loan out a Kindle.

Plus, I like the idea of having all of my books on a shelf, so my library isn't going anywhere and will continue to grow.

I may be straddling the fence on the whole e-reader issue, but I don't see them replacing printed books, just as digital music sales didn't kill CD sales (yet).

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I own a Sony Pocket E-reader, I think it's 120 USD now, It's a great little machine, 5 inch screen is more then good enough (for me). It's 500 mb storage but I've got 200 and some books on there, more then enough for a long trip :3. I also use Calibre because it always me to rename the meta tags on the books I get (Not all of them are arranged the way I like) The charge holds me for a good two weeks, mind you I haven't gone uber extreme on the reading. I switched because I chew through books and it was getting very expensive >_> now I do my best to avoid books I have to pay for, it's not always easy but yes I would recommend you get an e-reader! The Pocket can read a variety of files to, which is nice since I don't have to spend more time messing with files, only meta tags Tongue. My Aunt owns a similar Sony e-reader but it is bigger and uses a touch screen, but I don't like getting finger prints all over something I have to read off of Sad.

That's my 120ish dollars.....
03-06-2011, 04:06 AM
I have a Kobo (Canadian version of a Nookbook). I really like it for some types of books, basically just the kind of book that I read and then I'm done with it - like popular fiction.
I don't like it for books that I would want to save and refer back to or flip through to look for something, because there is no way to "flip" and no search function. I predict that in the next few years ereaders will evolve and improve.
I also don't like it for books that have illustrations, photos, charts, color, or any kind of graphics - they don't display well on the small screen.
03-06-2011, 04:02 PM
There is nothing that can replicate the feel and smell of a book when you read it. I have a large library at my house and it is really nice to just physically dip into a book at will and enjoy.

An e-reader on the other hand is only advantageous to have if you go on holiday. These days when you go over 1kg luggage and you end up paying an extra gazillion pounds/dollars for it, an e-reader certainly does save on the luggage weight. Plus the option of so many titles available at any one time, it certainly is a holiday bag must have.

Both the book and the e-reader both have their uses in the world, there should be no talk on the book becoming an extinct form of entertainment. An e-book file can be deleted and lost, a book stays on your shelf, its not going to be deleted!

On a personal note, I have an iphone with both ibooks and the Kindle app on it. The Kindle app is better than ibooks. I find that the Kindle app has a wider variety of books, a better and more user friendly interface and the books are CHEAPER in comparison to those on ibooks. The only reason why I have ibooks still is because it does have a wide variety of free books you can download that are good considering the "freeness" of them!

One aspect that I feel is being overlooked in this thread are Audiobooks. Yes it may be the "lazy person's option" in some people's opinions but, sometimes its just awesome when you listen to Christopher Hitchens read "God is not Great!"

Quote:"Religion poisons everything." - Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes Stefania's post
04-06-2011, 08:34 AM
I have the kindle app on my iPhone, and it works wonderful! Never thought I'd like it so much, but I do! I love thick books, but I have arthritis, so holding a heavy book for a long time is painful. Go kindle, go Stanza etc! Smile Regarding audiobooks, they are just too slow for me. I start thinking about other things or start reading a book. Haha. True, actually.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I hate that they even exist, but I have books available for them, so I do cash the checks. Smile
12-06-2011, 07:55 AM
I will more than likely never own one of these e-readers. I dislike the current trend of never actually owning hard copies of things. You can buy videogames online, books, music... where does it end ugh! I mostly don't like it because I enjoy holding things in my hands. Plus I bought a few albums off of Itunes but then I moved all of music to an external hard drive only to have it fail :O and when I tried to redownload my purchase which it says you can do for free, it wouldn't let me. So fifty bucks down the drain. I only imagine that's what would happen to an E-Book, or an online videogame. SO it is not for me, even though it is becoming increasingly difficult to buy hard copies of anything anymore Sad

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user