Poll: Are you planing on getting an e-reader?
Yes
No
I already own one
I haven't decided
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Kindle (and other e-Readers)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Kindle (and other e-Readers)
this may or may not be the right place for this, but I am considering buying a Kindle.

I am an avid reader, and find that on long trips (more than a week), I run out of things to read. I like to travel light, and thought an e-reader would be the best option.

I have a small library at home, and it is growing every time I am there. I buy most of my books from the used book store, and anything that I have on Kindle, I would most likely purchase for my shelf as well. After all the fun part of reading and learning is the sharing. And I'm not going to loan out a Kindle.

Plus, I like the idea of having all of my books on a shelf, so my library isn't going anywhere and will continue to grow.

I may be straddling the fence on the whole e-reader issue, but I don't see them replacing printed books, just as digital music sales didn't kill CD sales (yet).

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
RE: Kindle (and other e-Readers)
Quote:I would most likely purchase for my shelf as well. After all the fun part of reading and learning is the sharing. And I'm not going to loan out a Kindle.

This is the main reason why I haven't bought one yet. I definitely have a larger Kindle collection than physical book collection, though, mainly because it was far cheaper to buy a Kindle edition than get the physical copy in English and shipped overseas to Japan. Due to the fact I've already got a few books on Kindle, I might buy one, especially for its handiness (one Kindle compared to however many books), but I still plan on buying hard copies of the books I like the most. I'm kind of torn on it, especially since I'm on a college student budget. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 05:49 PM

(03-09-2010 04:56 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  This is the main reason why I haven't bought one yet. I definitely have a larger Kindle collection than physical book collection, though, mainly because it was far cheaper to buy a Kindle edition than get the physical copy in English and shipped overseas to Japan. Due to the fact I've already got a few books on Kindle, I might buy one, especially for its handiness (one Kindle compared to however many books), but I still plan on buying hard copies of the books I like the most. I'm kind of torn on it, especially since I'm on a college student budget. =P

I am a big supporter of used book stores in the States. And, apparently, there are digital versions of textbooks available for the Kindle at a discount. Though how you highlight passages is beyond me.

for the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm going to do with a bookmark when I put sheet music on a Kindle.
03-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I didn't vote. I don'tt know what a Kindle or an e-reader is. Am I old, or just terribly computer/technology illiterate? Either way, are you sure you guys want me to admin a forum??? LOL

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
03-09-2010, 06:43 PM

(03-09-2010 06:39 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I didn't vote. I don'tt know what a Kindle or an e-reader is. Am I old, or just terribly computer/technology illiterate? Either way, are you sure you guys want me to admin a forum??? LOL

I refer you here, and ask that you keep admin-ing (not a word, I know)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle
03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
got it.

BTW, you are correct. "admin-ing" is not a word. Therefore I have no choice but to ban you for improper english for one week. Sorry.

You may have a better remembery than me, but I talk gooder!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
05-01-2011, 05:05 AM
I just got a Nook Color for xmas and gave my original Nook to my fiance. Loving it so far.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2011, 11:38 AM
(03-09-2010 06:52 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  You may have a better remembery than me, but I talk gooder!

And that's my facebook status for today. Thank you. Cool

I just bought a Kindle today actually. I'm really excited since I've never seen one irl, so I don't know if it will kick ass or be completely useless. And since I'm a retard i bought two. One for me and one for my girlfriend. Tongue

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
05-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I have something called an "iriver" - no connection to Apple.
It's a knock-off but is just as decent. Works with .txt , .doc , .pdf and some other strange formats. Also plays music for some reason (mp3,wav) but has horrible zoom.
08-01-2011, 12:18 PM

I own a Kindle. I was attracted by the cheap (50% cost) of ebooks as sold by Amazon, but since I bought it I now just download free ebooks from project gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) and various other free ebooks sites.

One thing to mention is that the kindle uses a propritery format for ebboks called 'azw' (amongst others). So I use calibre software (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to convert from whichever format the book is aquired in to a format that kindle will understand (eg mobi).

All in all, I would say that the kindle is an enjoyable ebook experience. I just haven't bought as many ebooks as i originally anticipated, 'cos the amazon price is within ~50p of the paperback price in many cases. So I buy the paperback and have a permanent hard copy !

Oh and there are a couple of games out for the kindle and it can handle jpegs too (tho only in monochrome)

And amazon charge ~75p for delivery of 'free' books (via their whispernet) which is quick (~30 seconds), but you can also transfer any books for free via calibre software if you attack the kindle to your pc via usb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Oh Snap! Seth's book is available on Kindle already! Near 16 831 27-01-2013 02:28 PM
Last Post: Guy Ice
  Logic to the Rescue (free Kindle book) Red Celt 7 773 11-08-2012 08:58 PM
Last Post: aurora