King James Version

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 01:56 AM by rampant.a.i..)
King James Version
If memory serves, I don't think the KJV translators were even aware of Koine Greek as a dialect, and thought the and thought the differences from Classical Greek were "inspired by God."

Which would partially explain the whole mistranslation of "virgin" thing.

Which is weird, considering how long it's been since that particular mistranslation was discovered, and yet the dogma remains the same.

It's almost as if the dogmatists don't care about truth at all.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/04/cont...gin-thing/

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 06:50 AM
RE: King James Version
(15-06-2014 09:20 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  KJV fanatics believe that changing certain words has implications like questioning the deity of Christ, gender differences, homosexuality etc. So yes the KJV serves their fundamentalist dogma.

I've heard some people say that "homosexual" in some cases better translated to "pedophile", but I don't know any more details than that. Is that what you're talking about, or are there other implications regarding homosexuality in the KJV and other translations?
16-06-2014, 08:32 AM
There are those who see it as being automatically more valid than other translations because it is older, and less "tampered with".
http://www.kjv1611.org.uk/Workers%20of%20Iniquity.htm

I honestly think many of them believe it is the original text of the Bible.

The very fact that a translation such as the NIV is so widely endorsed is evidence to this sect that the modern versions are corrupted and taken over by this modern church, the corrupt church of the antichrist.

Also, it uses the word "abomination" a lot.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
16-06-2014, 08:37 AM
(16-06-2014 08:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  There are those who see it as being automatically more valid than other translations because it is older, and less "tampered with".

The very fact that a translation such as the NIV is so widely endorsed is evidence to this sect that the modern versions are corrupted and taken over by this modern church, the corrupt church of the antichrist.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Here's a nice overview of the history of how the Bible got translated into English, with special interest in the KJV:

A quick summary of the pros and cons.

Some of its virtues:
  • Rhetorically powerful.
  • Introduced numerous phrases to the common language.
  • Perceived as authoritative (though mainly by people who don't know better).

Some of its problems (with lots of examples, beginning at around 34:30):
  • Language changes since 17th century. (E.g. Obsolete words, archaisms, mythological animal names, obsolete grammatical constructions, words with shifted meaning)
  • Theological biases of translators.
  • Narrow textual basis for translation.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 2 users Like John's post
16-06-2014, 10:41 AM
(16-06-2014 08:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  There are those who see it as being automatically more valid than other translations because it is older, and less "tampered with".

This is a somewhat long article but it discusses KJV, King Henry the VIII, Anne Boleyn, Oliver Cromwell, Henry More, digging up a dead body and burning it, the
1560 Geneva Bible and all sorts of other interesting, fascinating and convoluted stuff.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/fe...avid-edgar

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I like the Aramaic Bible in Plain English.

#sigh
16-06-2014, 10:36 PM
(15-06-2014 06:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Most fundamentalists I talk to...

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-06-2014, 06:34 AM
(16-06-2014 10:36 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 06:01 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Most fundamentalists I talk to...

Not really...

Think of it more as me not wanting to get answers from an echo-chamber of non-falsifiable already-reached conclusions. I have no interest in "teaching" them why they're wrong. At least one member has a profile picture that says something to the effect of "I will never compromise on God", and other posters say similar things frequently.

Nothing I learn here will convince them to even consider that they might be wrong. I just want to see the unspoken reasons why they love the KJV so much, and I don't expect an intellectually honest answer from them.
17-06-2014, 06:57 AM
I grew up (12 years) in a Plymouth Brethren fundamentalist church, and they were also adamant about the KJV. I never really understood the reasoning... the sense I got was that the leaders of the church just knew that it was the best version, and they were the leaders, so we had to accept what they said. What they talked about behind closed doors wasn't made known.