King Leopold II of Belgium: The first hitler of the 20th century.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 12:09 AM
King Leopold II of Belgium: The first hitler of the 20th century.
Unlike Hitler, his victims weren't white europeans so you probably don't know anything about this guy. Basically this guy was the ruler of belgium and he privately bought and owned a huge piece of the congo. Under his rule (about 15 years) an estimated 10 million people died as a result of his rule. This figure of 10 million is by the belgian governments own counting btw.
The descriptions of the book detail the treatment of the congo natives, like cutting off limbs as form of punishment for not extracting the quota amount of rubber. The belgian explorers and officers stationed in the congo would collect severed limbs as souvenirs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_II_...Free_State

Here is a famous book written about him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Leopold's_Ghost

He also allowed missionaries to come to the Congo to "convert" people.

Here is a letter written from Leopold to the missionaries in the Congo....

“Reverends, Fathers and Dear Compatriots: The task that is given to fulfill is very delicate
and requires much tact. You will go certainly to evangelize, but your evangelization must inspire
above all Belgium interests. Your principal objective in our mission in the Congo is never to teach
the niggers to know God, this they know already. They speak and submit to a Mungu, one Nzambi,
one Nzakomba, and what else I don't know. They know that to kill, to sleep with someone else's
wife, to lie and to insult is bad. Have courage to admit it; you are not going to teach them what they
know already. Your essential role is to facilitate the task of administrators and industrials, which
means you will go to interpret the gospel in the way it will be the best to protect your interests in
that part of the world. For these things, you have to keep watch on disinteresting our savages from
the richness that is plenty [in their underground. To avoid that, they get interested in it, and make
you murderous] competition and dream one day to overthrow you.
Your knowledge of the gospel will allow you to find texts ordering, and encouraging your
followers to love poverty, like “Happier are the poor because they will inherit the heaven” and, “It's
very difficult for the rich to enter the kingdom of God.” You have to detach from them and make
them disrespect everything which gives courage to affront us. I make reference to their Mystic
System and their war fetish – warfare protection – which they pretend not to want to abandon, and
you must do everything in your power to make it disappear.
Your action will be directed essentially to the younger ones, for they won't revolt when the
recommendation of the priest is contradictory to their parent's teachings. The children have to learn
to obey what the missionary recommends, who is the father of their soul. You must singularly insist
on their total submission and obedience, avoid developing the spirit in the schools, teach students to
read and not to reason. There, dear patriots, are some of the principles that you must apply. You will
find many other books, which will be given to you at the end of this conference. Evangelize the
niggers so that they stay forever in submission to the white colonialists, so they never revolt against
the restraints they are undergoing. Recite every day – “Happy are those who are weeping because
the kingdom of God is for them.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2013, 06:37 AM
RE: King Leopold II of Belgium: The first hitler of the 20th century.
As a resident of Belgium (currently) I find it funny to run into this topic here now.
I asked a belgian co-worker about your topic title.
He agreed with it.
So what is your point by starting this topic.
Periodic history lessons about all those that did bad things?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
15-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Even in my crappy public school history classes all the way in Canada where we don't have the black slavery guilt complex, we still spent some time learning about Leopold's personal playground.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
15-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Not the 19th century?

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/poetry/poems/congo.html

Note: It was Vachel Lindsay who first got Langston Hughes stuff published.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2013, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2013 12:05 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: King Leopold II of Belgium: The first hitler of the 20th century.
Are you ever going to not assume what others know and think?

This is taught in world history courses of high school, (maybe not in Texas) also in connection to the Dutch slave trade beginnings and various global rapings.

Its not talked often in general conversation today but neither is any specific tyrants of globalization.. Not so much non-white as it's known old news, and well reprimanded on a historical front since the later half of the last century.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-05-2013, 12:19 PM
(15-05-2013 12:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Are you ever going to not assume what others know and think?

This is taught in world history courses of high school, (maybe not in Texas) also in connection to the Dutch slave trade beginnings and various global rapings.

Its not talked often in general conversation today but neither is any specific tyrants of globalization.. Not so much non-white as it's known old news, and well reprimanded on a historical front since the later half of the last century.

What U.S. public school system mentions Leopold and his adventures with the Congo in their history books?
15-05-2013, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2013 12:39 PM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: King Leopold II of Belgium: The first hitler of the 20th century.
(15-05-2013 12:19 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 12:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Are you ever going to not assume what others know and think?

What U.S. public school system mentions Leopold and his adventures with the Congo in their history books?

At least some suburban high schools.

Its a fit well in the turn of the century (1900) issues of globalization on the world history text books.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-05-2013, 12:37 PM
(15-05-2013 12:35 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 12:19 PM)I and I Wrote:  What U.S. public school system mentions Leopold and his adventures with the Congo in their history books?

At least some suburban high schools.

Oh that school.... Rolleyes
15-05-2013, 12:39 PM
(15-05-2013 12:19 PM)I and I Wrote:  

Even if they didn't what's your point?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-05-2013, 12:48 PM
(15-05-2013 12:39 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 12:19 PM)I and I Wrote:  What U.S. public school system mentions Leopold and his adventures with the Congo in their history books?

Even if they didn't what's your point?

you should read.....above. Clyde lee made this claim "This is taught in world history courses of high school...." My point is that it sounds like clyde lee simply pulled something out of his ass on that claim.

Mass slaughtering africans......your thoughts.