King of Kings

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
27-12-2012, 11:03 AM

RE: King of Kings
(27-12-2012 01:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It's exactly as I've said, you either do what god wants you to do or he'll throw you into hell forever. You can pretend that there's any other reason for keeping god's commandments all day long, but that's what it ultimately comes down to. Sleepy

Even if fear is the prime mover, so what? If God exists and will throw you in hell if you don't conform to what He wants, then so be it. If God exists, we are his "creatures." We are not His equal. If that fear of hell ultimately leads to a motivation to please, then so be it. It's not different than a parent and child.

Now, maybe you're so fucked up that you have neither respect for God nor your parents nor anyone who would impose anything on your behavior. Fine. Prisons are full of such failures. Juvenile detention is full of such failures. The streets are full of whino bums who feel exactly the same way. Discipline shapes us. Where discipline fails to shape us, we fail to develop.

If I am useless to God, He will throw me in hell. But I want more than an escape from Hell now. I know I'm not going to hell. Now I want to be more like Him. That's it. Smartass
Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2012, 11:08 AM
(27-12-2012 11:03 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 01:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It's exactly as I've said, you either do what god wants you to do or he'll throw you into hell forever. You can pretend that there's any other reason for keeping god's commandments all day long, but that's what it ultimately comes down to. Sleepy

Even if fear is the prime mover, so what? If God exists and will throw you in hell if you don't conform to what He wants, then so be it. If God exists, we are his "creatures." We are not His equal. If that fear of hell ultimately leads to a motivation to please, then so be it. It's not different than a parent and child.

Now, maybe you're so fucked up that you have neither respect for God nor your parents nor anyone who would impose anything on your behavior. Fine. Prisons are full of such failures. Juvenile detention is full of such failures. The streets are full of whino bums who feel exactly the same way. Discipline shapes us. Where discipline fails to shape us, we fail to develop.

If I am useless to God, He will throw me in hell. But I want more than an escape from Hell now. I know I'm not going to hell. Now I want to be more like Him. That's it. Smartass

But this assumes that there is a god with the attributes you describe.

But there is no evidence for it, so the discussion is pointless.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Oh here we go. Mr. Jealous again. Mr your-existence-reminds-me-I'm-a-loser again. Mr. I'm-going-to-orbit-you-like-a-planet-orbits-a-sun again.

(27-12-2012 03:57 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "I have no delusions. I know the truth." "I am a black belt in taekwondo."

narcissism |ˈnärsəˌsizəm|
noun
excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
• Psychology extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.

"God isn't looking for cowardly dogs for His kennel. He wants vicious
would-be killer dogs: pit bulls with an attitude, Dobermans and
Rottweilers with anger issues, shepherd dogs that would rip a coyote to
pieces, and rat terriers that will dispatch vermin without conscience.
That's what he wants, and he wants them to obey his commands."

You moron, please don't try to pontificate outside of your profession. I'm not narcissistic if what I'm telling you is true. Narcissists have low self-esteem. I have a "correct" self-esteem. Of course to losers with low self-esteem, a correct self-esteem probably seems narcissistic. So, in a word, my narcissism is your problem--not mine.

Quote:Borderline Personality Disorder
By JOHN M. GROHOL, PSY.D.

The main feature of borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self-image and emotions. People with borderline personality disorder are also usually very impulsive.

This disorder occurs in most by early adulthood. The unstable pattern of interacting with others has persisted for years and is usually closely related to the person’s self-image and early social interactions. The pattern is present in a variety of settings (e.g., not just at work or home) and often is accompanied by a similar lability (fluctuating back and forth, sometimes in a quick manner) in a person’s emotions and feelings. Relationships and the person’s emotion may often be characterized as being shallow.

A person with this disorder will also often exhibit impulsive behaviors and have a majority of the following symptoms:

Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation
Identity disturbance, such as a significant and persistent unstable self-image or sense of self
Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)
Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior
Emotional instability due to significant reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
Chronic feelings of emptiness
Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
Transient, stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms

Again. You got it wrong. BPD is mostly for young females. I have absolutely no BPD features in my personality. Also, you may want to consider what constitutes a disorder vs. a trait. We all have personality traits, but what makes them a disorder?

You actually fit the definition of a narcissist more than I do. Your website (last I looked) seemed to show a great need to present you as someone who is important, has all the answers, is a doctor, is attractive to women (but the girl looks like a Philipino bride and is much younger than you--but I won't go there.) And yet, you're kind of mousey with thick glasses, etc. And that is the kind of person who usually needs narcissism as a psychological defense. I'm not saying you have a disorder; I have no idea what your 3D life is like. I'm just saying you have that creepy mentally ill look about you.

But, I'm the real deal. And you know what that means? It means narcissists really really hate me. They always have. I can smell them from a mile away, and I have had to be very careful in my life to avoid their would-be attacks (either at work or in school, or online). Hell hath no fury like a narcissist scorned. No
27-12-2012, 11:25 AM
(27-12-2012 11:03 AM)Egor Wrote:  

What kind of a god is feared? Certainly not the benevolent kind... Consider That's who you want to serve and to be like? Ohmy

And, if a god prefers to rule by fear, there is no way in hell it will ever get any worshiping from me! No

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
27-12-2012, 11:27 AM

(27-12-2012 05:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 01:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  Look at your stupid reputation points. Seriously, if you're that "well-liked" you're not trying hard enough to be an individual. If you have that many friends, you're lying too much to have any real soul. Canada--it figures. Rolleyes

Ed, you might try reading the comments. It ain't the points - it's the reasons.

I apologize for snapping at you - my broken tooth has made me extra grumpy and impatient.
However, I am sorry that you are such a confused person.

Just had a #3 molar removed, myself. It was all busted up; so I can sympathize. I was on Lortab for seven days after that. I hope you get it fixed soon.

And no hard feelings. I don't come here for tea and biscuits! No

PS: I lived in Canada for three months. I work with a nurse from Canada, and my sister has been a citizen of Canada for 40 years. I was just kidding about the whole Canada-thing.
27-12-2012, 11:38 AM

(27-12-2012 11:25 AM)Impulse Wrote:  What kind of a god is feared?

The only one that exists.

Quote:Certainly not the benevolent kind... Consider That's who you want to serve and to be like? Ohmy

And, if a god prefers to rule by fear, there is no way in hell it will ever get any worshiping from me! No

Think about it this way: If there is a God, and if He created you for a reason and will throw you into hell (whatever that may be) if you don't develop into what He wanted you to develop into, then you should fear Him. Jesus certainly believed we should fear Him and said so directly--no symbolism or riddles there at all.

If there is a God, then He is the God of cancer, of insect politics, of large canine teeth, and of sharks. If there is a God, He is the God of every dying earthworm you see on a hot sidewalk. He is the God of every disease, and every hurricane, and He destroys every physical thing that is created.

In addition, if there is a God, His mind is not like ours. His mind is like every conscious thing combined. It is immediate in all ways at all times--there is no memory in it. It is total knowledge present eternally. We can't even comprehend such a being.

Now, look at yourself. There has never been anyone like you on any planet in the entire history of the universe, and there never will be again. You are utterly one of a kind. If there is a God, He created you for a very unique reason, apparently, and apparently, he can fail at what he is attempting to do with you, the same way an artist can crumple up a drawing that didn't work out.

Terror in response to the idea of God, if God exists, it seems to me would be the beginning of wisdom.

God is going to kill my body--I know it, and I don't know when. I want to have been found doing what I was supposed to have been doing.

But you think you have it all figured out, don't you? Confused
27-12-2012, 11:45 AM
(27-12-2012 11:38 AM)Egor Wrote:  

Quote:Certainly not the benevolent kind... Consider That's who you want to serve and to be like? Ohmy

Think about it this way: If there is a God, and if He created you for a reason and will throw you into hell (whatever that may be) if you don't develop into what He wanted you to develop into, then you should fear Him. Jesus certainly believed we should fear Him and said so directly--no symbolism or riddles there at all.

If there is a God, then He is the God of cancer, of insect politics, of large canine teeth, and of sharks. If there is a God, He is the God of every dying earthworm you see on a hot sidewalk. He is the God of every disease, and every hurricane, and He destroys every physical thing that is created.

In addition, if there is a God, His mind is not like ours. His mind is like every conscious thing combined. It is immediate in all ways at all times--there is no memory in it. It is total knowledge present eternally. We can't even comprehend such a being.

Now, look at yourself. There has never been anyone like you on any planet in the entire history of the universe, and there never will be again. You are utterly one of a kind. If there is a God, He created you for a very unique reason, apparently, and apparently, he can fail at what he is attempting to do with you, the same way an artist can crumple up a drawing that didn't work out.

Terror in response to the idea of God, if God exists, it seems to me would be the beginning of wisdom.

God is going to kill my body--I know it, and I don't know when. I want to have been found doing what I was supposed to have been doing.

But you think you have it all figured out, don't you? Confused
You just described exactly the kind of god I would never worship even under threat of eternal hell (especially under such threat).

If that god created me, you assume it was for a purpose. Maybe it was just for the hell of it (maybe literally).

Terror in response to the idea of God, if God exists, it seems to me would be the beginning of wisdom slavery.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
27-12-2012, 11:47 AM
(27-12-2012 11:38 AM)Egor Wrote:  

Can you provide us at least a small shred of evidence or a rational proof of your magic guy's existence?

Antitheist - Tooth Fairy Agnostic - Rationalist - Humanist - Individualist - Libertarian Minarchist

[Image: dsotm1.png]
27-12-2012, 11:57 AM
(27-12-2012 01:11 AM)Egor Wrote:  Well, what if he was real? What difference does it make? You still only know Jesus Christ from the Gospels. That was the intent all along. Your body is not real. The only thing that is real is your consciousness. So, if you want to know Christ, you have to know him in your mind, that's the only "knowing" that matters.
Yikes. Well I've got to hand it to you, I don't get it. Pretty much word for word confounds me. I was going to say that a little of it I disagree with, but no, it really just confounds me. Time for me to leave this street corner... I mean, exit the thread.
27-12-2012, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2012 01:20 PM by Vosur.)
(27-12-2012 11:03 AM)Egor Wrote:  Even if fear is the prime mover, so what? If God exists and will throw you in hell if you don't conform to what He wants, then so be it. If God exists, we are his "creatures." We are not His equal. If that fear of hell ultimately leads to a motivation to please, then so be it. It's not different than a parent and child.
It means that which I have already stated in my first response to you; that you do the same thing that you accuse unbelievers of, which is following laws only for the sake of avoiding punishment.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]