Kiss PBS goodbye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2017, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 01:33 PM by Rockblossom.)
RE: Kiss PBS goodbye
(18-03-2017 11:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  I believe that we live in the world where it is important to send very strong message to countries like Russia, China, Iran. Building strong military is the kind of language
Putin understands. I want my country( the USA) to be the best of the best.
Putin builds strong army. China builds strong army.
Let me know where in your opinion I am wrong.

Trump said many times during the campaign that he admires Vladimir Putin and wanted to work with him - not oppose him. Trump thinks Putin is a friend who admires his (Trump's) intelligence and that they have some kind of bromance going. In this Trump is wrong, but he is definitely not interested in a military buildup to oppose Putin.

The two largest foreign holders of US debt are Japan ($1.09 trillion) and China ($1.06 trillion). In 2016, the US exported about $116 billion worth of goods to China and imported $463 billion from China. China is certainly no military threat to a country that is making them absurdly wealthy. China doesn't need to attack us militarily when they can just buy the country from us.

The only other large military force is in North Korea, where the economy is in shambles, they can't grow enough food to feed their own people, and the ridiculously massive amount of tanks, artillery and planes are old and poorly repaired. Some of the long-range missiles could certainly be a threat to South Korea and Japan, so they need to be closely watched - and destroyed if absolutely necessary. Our current intelligence systems and bombers are more than adequate for that.

(18-03-2017 11:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  I believe that Trump supports education. He supports school choice. I like that he wants to introduce alternative education programs. Those programs are alternative to 4 year college. It sounds great.
Let me know where I am wrong.

"School choice" is a shorthand way of saying "funnel taxpayer dollars away from public schools to support religious schools" via vouchers or other work-arounds to sidestep church/state separation issues. As for alternatives to 4-year colleges, like trade schools - we already have those and they are eligible for federal grants and student loans. Trump's "alternative" schools are religious colleges which are not currently eligible for tax money. I don't think that sounds great. I think it sounds like using my tax money to support religion, which is unconstitutional.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Rockblossom's post
18-03-2017, 01:51 PM
(18-03-2017 01:01 PM)Alla Wrote:  How is the government agency encouraging beauty and expression in all forms? Why does the government have to do this?

It doesn't. We could just say fuck the National Gallery of Art and Smithsonian Institutes and squirrel the masterpieces away in a chalet in Argentina. Might have an impact on our tourism revenue though. Guess it don't matter if you can't come in to see them anyway.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-03-2017, 01:57 PM
(18-03-2017 11:57 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 11:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  That!!!!!!

Same thing with the wall - get some high tech surveillance over there and a bunch of patrol. It's cheaper and provides permanent employment. A wall is ridiculous in this day and age.

Trump is not living in the present - and apparently Bannon doesn't get it yet either.

Plus, let's not forget that those poor dirty illegals have access to wall scaling technology.

[Image: rope-006.jpg]

Pretty sure that it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the ineffectual wall will be too. Dodgy

There are rumors they may be using these

[Image: mexicana_livery_old_02.jpg]

Laugh out load

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
18-03-2017, 02:34 PM
(18-03-2017 01:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 01:01 PM)Alla Wrote:  How is the government agency encouraging beauty and expression in all forms? Why does the government have to do this?

It doesn't. We could just say fuck the National Gallery of Art and Smithsonian Institutes and squirrel the masterpieces away in a chalet in Argentina. Might have an impact on our tourism revenue though. Guess it don't matter if you can't come in to see them anyway.
I see your point.
But I was asking about NEA? I am still not sure why it is such important agency. May be I have to look for more information and find out.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
18-03-2017, 08:40 PM
(18-03-2017 02:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 01:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It doesn't. We could just say fuck the National Gallery of Art and Smithsonian Institutes and squirrel the masterpieces away in a chalet in Argentina. Might have an impact on our tourism revenue though. Guess it don't matter if you can't come in to see them anyway.
I see your point.
But I was asking about NEA? I am still not sure why it is such important agency. May be I have to look for more information and find out.

The NEA is the National Endowment of the Arts, the umbrella organization that funds museums and art galleries. No money, and museums and galleries shut down, and with that goes the tourism and the art goes into storage where nobody can see it.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
18-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Nova science has already had a recent Kickstarter campaign... reading rainbow did a year ago.. expect more formerly paid public programming ideas to go that route since the supposedly marketed as educational cable stations won't provide such types of programing either

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-03-2017, 11:35 PM
(18-03-2017 10:40 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Thump, you don't have to have a TV to watch Nova and Nature, they're online.

I live out in the sticks, and get my internet over my phone's wifi hotspot capability -- which means 8 gig of high-speed data a month.

I'm not quite a Luddite, but there's other ways to get good brainfood. Smile
18-03-2017, 11:42 PM
(18-03-2017 10:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 01:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  PBS can and will survive without Federal money.

PBS will, the National Endowment for the Arts won't.

“The arts are essen­tial to any com­plete national life. The State owes it to itself to sus­tain and encour­age them….Ill fares the race which fails to salute the arts with the rev­er­ence and delight which are their due.” - Fat man with a cigar who liked to observe the vermouth from across the room while drinking his martini.

I'm not sure it's in the government's purview to support the arts, myself. It's sad that those artists won't be able to benefit from the NEA after the Republicans have their way, but I don't think of "supporting the arts" as being in the government's mission-statement, myself.

ETA: this reply to EK will necessarily modify what I wrote you above:.

(18-03-2017 08:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 02:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  I see your point.

The NEA is the National Endowment of the Arts, the umbrella organization that funds museums and art galleries. No money, and museums and galleries shut down, and with that goes the tourism and the art goes into storage where nobody can see it.

I didn't realize the NEA funded museums and galleries as well.

I clearly have more learning to do on the matter. Thanks for the pointer.
18-03-2017, 11:56 PM
(18-03-2017 11:42 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 08:40 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The NEA is the National Endowment of the Arts, the umbrella organization that funds museums and art galleries. No money, and museums and galleries shut down, and with that goes the tourism and the art goes into storage where nobody can see it.

I didn't realize the NEA funded museums and galleries as well.

I clearly have more learning to do on the matter. Thanks for the pointer.

My explanation was a bit simplified. The NEA is a lot more involved than just handing out funding to museums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_E...r_the_Arts

The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that offers support and funding for projects exhibiting artistic excellence. It was created by an act of the U.S. Congress in 1965 as an independent agency of the federal government. The NEA had its offices in Washington, D.C. It was awarded Tony Honors for Excellence in Theatre in 1995, as well as the Special Tony Award in 2016. In March of 2017, a proposal to eliminate all federal funding for the program was put forward by the Trump administration.

The NEA is "dedicated to supporting excellence in the arts, both new and established; bringing the arts to all Americans; and providing leadership in arts education".

Between 1965 and 2008, the agency has made in excess of 128,000 grants, totaling more than $5 billion. From the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, Congress granted the NEA an annual funding of between $160 and $180 million. In 1996, Congress cut the NEA funding to $99.5 million as a result of pressure from conservative groups, including the American Family Association, who criticized the agency for using tax dollars to fund highly controversial artists such as Barbara Degenevieve, Andres Serrano, Robert Mapplethorpe, and the performance artists known as the "NEA Four". Since 1996, the NEA has partially rebounded with a 2015 budget of $146.21 million.[4] For FY 2010, the budget reached the level it was at during the mid-1990s at $167.5 million but fell again in FY 2011 with a budget of $154 million.

The NEA offers grants in the categories of: 1) Grants for Arts Projects, 2) National Initiatives, and 3) Partnership Agreements. Grants for Arts Projects support exemplary projects in the discipline categories of artist communities, arts education, dance, design, folk and traditional arts, literature, local arts agencies, media arts, museums, music, musical theater, opera, presenting (including multidisciplinary art forms), theater, and visual arts. The NEA also grants individual fellowships in literature to creative writers and translators of exceptional talent in the areas of prose and poetry.

The NEA has partnerships in the areas of state and regional, federal, international activities, and design. The state arts agencies and regional arts organizations are the NEA's primary partners in serving the American people through the arts. Forty percent of all NEA funding goes to the state arts agencies and regional arts organizations. Additionally, the NEA awards three Lifetime Honors: NEA National Heritage Fellowships to master folk and traditional artists, NEA Jazz Masters Fellowships to jazz musicians and advocates, and NEA Opera Honors to individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to opera in the United States. The NEA also manages the National Medal of Arts, awarded annually by the President.

Relative scope of funding

Artist William Powhida has noted that "in one single auction, wealthy collectors bought almost a billion dollars in contemporary art at Christie's in New York." He further commented: "If you had a 2 percent tax just on the auctions in New York you could probably double the NEA budget in two nights."

Again. Just in case anybody missed it.

"If you had a 2 percent tax just on the [Christie's] auctions in New York you could probably double the NEA budget in two nights."

[Image: 14d.gif]

FUCK TRUMP! Angry

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-03-2017, 11:48 AM
(18-03-2017 11:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  I believe that Trump supports education. He supports school choice. I like that he wants to introduce alternative education programs. Those programs are alternative to 4 year college. It sounds great.
Let me know where I am wrong.

Trade schools have been around even longer than universities. What is he proposing to introduce that doesn't already exist? Is he gonna provide federal funding to cover the tuition costs of these trade schools? 'Cause that'd be cool.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post