Kiss PBS goodbye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: Kiss PBS goodbye
The NEA has probably touched your life in a way you didn't even realize. It funds lots of 'little' projects as well as larger, nationwide projects.
People are so quick to scream "shut this down, government shouldn't be funding this shit!" without realizing they have very likely benefitted from these 'wasteful' programs.

Did you know the NEA funded a therapeutic art program for veterans with PTSD and emotional trauma? They were going to expand the program to open 12 centers across the country. Art has been proven to be an incredibly effective therapeutic tool.

https://www.arts.gov/partnerships/creative-forces

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
19-03-2017, 12:06 PM
(18-03-2017 01:13 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 12:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Tunnels. They're very good with tunnels.

My husband just talked to some people who in this country illegally. Some Mexicans. They work on the fields. They said it is much harder right now to cross the border. It is more expensive. They have to pay between $7,000 and $10,000. They also said that there are some places where it is still possible to cross. And yes, they talked about tunnels. But I think in some parts wall will work.

That's exactly what the El Paco wants you to think.

#sigh
19-03-2017, 12:41 PM
(19-03-2017 12:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 01:13 PM)Alla Wrote:  My husband just talked to some people who in this country illegally. Some Mexicans. They work on the fields. They said it is much harder right now to cross the border. It is more expensive. They have to pay between $7,000 and $10,000. They also said that there are some places where it is still possible to cross. And yes, they talked about tunnels. But I think in some parts wall will work.

That's exactly what the El Paco wants you to think.
1)About the wall. Wall was not the reason why I voted for Trump. I don't have any opinion on a wall. How can I? How do I know whether wall works or not? Some people say it does, some say it doesn't. I am that kind of voter who can not know what the truth is. May be in some areas it is effective, or may be it is not true. But something has to be done about illegal immigration. Many illegal workers do not even want to live in the USA, they only come to work then they go back to Mexico. Is it good idea that they could have working visas? May be I don't know? May be more Americans would do this job if they get paid good money for working on the fields. May be not. How do I know?
2)I want more people to be able to live in the USA if they want to. But can sustain it? I don't know. How can I know?
About strong military. The same thing. How do I know what the truth is? But it sounds good and reasonable to me to have stronger military. I see that most of the veterans and military support Trump. But again the main reason why I voted for Trump was because I wanted to punish crooked Hillary. She doesn't deserve to be a president in my opinion.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Sorry, I am off topic. But I still have questions about NEA. I really hope my friends on this forum will help me. I am also searching for more info on the internet.

19-03-2017, 12:46 PM
(19-03-2017 12:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  .

Sorry, I am off topic. But I still have questions about NEA. I really hope my friends on this forum will help me. I am also searching for more info on the internet.

Start a thread of your own. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-03-2017, 12:52 PM
(19-03-2017 11:59 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  The NEA has probably touched your life in a way you didn't even realize. It funds lots of 'little' projects as well as larger, nationwide projects.
People are so quick to scream "shut this down, government shouldn't be funding this shit!" without realizing they have very likely benefitted from these 'wasteful' programs.

Did you know the NEA funded a therapeutic art program for veterans with PTSD and emotional trauma? They were going to expand the program to open 12 centers across the country. Art has been proven to be an incredibly effective therapeutic tool.

https://www.arts.gov/partnerships/creative-forces
No, I didn't know this. I believe that this is great program. I love art myself. I like to draw portraits with pencil. But I also believe this: if the program is good and praiseworthy it will survive. It will be many kind people who will help veterans, who will sponsor this kind of program . May be it can be part of VA. I think our veterans deserve our support.
So, my question is this: can this kind of program be part of VA instead of creating another government agency?
But if something is not that good it will not survive and may be we can save some tax payers money.
I want to know your response to my thoughts/opinion

19-03-2017, 12:58 PM
EvolutionKills Wrote:The NEA is the National Endowment of the Arts, the umbrella organization that funds museums and art galleries. No money, and museums and galleries shut down, and with that goes the tourism and the art goes into storage where nobody can see it.
Ok. My questions: why does the government and not private sector has to be an umbrella for museums and art galleries?
If art or museum is so good that many people appreciate it, it will survive without government agency. It will be a sponsor or sponsors. But if something is not that good and not liked by many people why do I have to pay my money to support it?
Those are sincere questions.

19-03-2017, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 01:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-03-2017 02:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  But I was asking about NEA? I am still not sure why it is such important agency. May be I have to look for more information and find out.

So I was thinking to myself, if I lived in Idaho I'd probably be asking what the hell does the NEH do for Idaho anyway? Why should Idaho have to pay for the NEH if it doesn't do anything for Idaho? Well let's have a look. From here -

“Congressman Simpson is a strong advocate for the humanities,” Ardinger said, noting that Simpson expressed his support for the humanities during the meeting.

Simpson’s support for the humanities is well documented. In 2015, Simpson convinced NEH Chairman William Adams to visit Idaho. He also had Adams look over a Museum of Idaho grant application to point out its weaknesses. The NEH later awarded the museum a $500,000 grant that will help finance a 20,000-square-foot expansion. More importantly, Simpson sits on the House Appropriations Committee and the House Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Subcommittee, which sets the NEH budget.

The NEH provides about $600,000 of the Humanities Council’s $850,000 budget, Ardinger said. The Humanities Council redistributes money to local organizations and individuals. The Salmon Arts Council, Idaho Falls Arts Council, Sawtooth Interpretive and Historical Association and the Clayton Area Historical Association are just some of the area’s nonprofits to have received Humanities Council grants in the past two years.

For every federal dollar we receive there’s a $3 to $4 match,” Ardinger said. Grant recipients have to come up with matching funds, volunteer hours or materials to put into their projects on the local level.

The Humanities Council also awards teacher incentive grants for projects such as Idaho Falls School District 91’s annual districtwide fourth-grade Idaho History Rendezvous.

The Humanities Council receives no funding from the state Legislature, Ardinger said. "

I bolded the one part to emphasize that when the federal government cuts off $1, Idaho loses $5. This is pretty much how the federal funding game plays out in general. Everybody leverages federal dollars. If you don't want to play you're still gonna pay. Why do you think Montana and North Dakota signed up for Obamacare and Medicaid expansion so willingly? They ain't stupid. They got so few people they're gonna get a lot more back than they put in as a State.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-03-2017, 01:26 PM
This is just going to be a circular argument. I believe I have said this to you before - your idea of worthy government spending is going to be very different than mine, so what's the point of discussing it. Really.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
19-03-2017, 01:33 PM
(19-03-2017 12:58 PM)Alla Wrote:  
EvolutionKills Wrote:The NEA is the National Endowment of the Arts, the umbrella organization that funds museums and art galleries. No money, and museums and galleries shut down, and with that goes the tourism and the art goes into storage where nobody can see it.
Ok. My questions: why does the government and not private sector has to be an umbrella for museums and art galleries?
If art or museum is so good that many people appreciate it, it will survive without government agency. It will be a sponsor or sponsors. But if something is not that good and not liked by many people why do I have to pay my money to support it?
Those are sincere questions.

Throughout history everywhere, churches and government sponsored the arts. Individuals never had the means to do so, with some exceptions of course.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post