Kiss PBS goodbye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2017, 02:32 PM
RE: Kiss PBS goodbye
(19-03-2017 01:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 02:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  But I was asking about NEA? I am still not sure why it is such important agency. May be I have to look for more information and find out.

So I was thinking to myself, if I lived in Idaho I'd probably be asking what the hell does the NEH do for Idaho anyway? Why should Idaho have to pay for the NEH if it doesn't do anything for Idaho? Well let's have a look. From here -

“Congressman Simpson is a strong advocate for the humanities,” Ardinger said, noting that Simpson expressed his support for the humanities during the meeting.

Simpson’s support for the humanities is well documented. In 2015, Simpson convinced NEH Chairman William Adams to visit Idaho. He also had Adams look over a Museum of Idaho grant application to point out its weaknesses. The NEH later awarded the museum a $500,000 grant that will help finance a 20,000-square-foot expansion. More importantly, Simpson sits on the House Appropriations Committee and the House Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Subcommittee, which sets the NEH budget.

The NEH provides about $600,000 of the Humanities Council’s $850,000 budget, Ardinger said. The Humanities Council redistributes money to local organizations and individuals. The Salmon Arts Council, Idaho Falls Arts Council, Sawtooth Interpretive and Historical Association and the Clayton Area Historical Association are just some of the area’s nonprofits to have received Humanities Council grants in the past two years.

For every federal dollar we receive there’s a $3 to $4 match,” Ardinger said. Grant recipients have to come up with matching funds, volunteer hours or materials to put into their projects on the local level.

The Humanities Council also awards teacher incentive grants for projects such as Idaho Falls School District 91’s annual districtwide fourth-grade Idaho History Rendezvous.

The Humanities Council receives no funding from the state Legislature, Ardinger said. "

I bolded the one part to emphasize that when the federal government cuts off $1, Idaho loses $5. This is pretty much how the federal funding game plays out in general. Everybody leverages federal dollars. If you don't want to play you're still gonna pay. Why do you think Montana and North Dakota signed up for Obamacare and Medicaid expansion so willingly? They ain't stupid. They got so few people they're gonna get a lot more back than they put in as a State.

Thank you. It led me to more interesting information. I checked more things I didn't know before about Idaho.
Why do you think Trump is cutting NEA and NEH? He knows what he is doing. Republicans know what they are doing. Why don't they worry about things you worry about?
But don't tell me it is because they hate arts and museums. Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2017, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 02:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-03-2017 02:32 PM)Alla Wrote:  Thank you. It led me to more interesting information. I checked more things I didn't know before about Idaho.
Why do you think Trump is cutting NEA and NEH? He knows what he is doing. Republicans know what they are doing. Why don't they worry about things you worry about?

Because we have a fundamental disagreement about the role of the individual within society.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-03-2017, 05:03 PM
(19-03-2017 02:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 02:32 PM)Alla Wrote:  Thank you. It led me to more interesting information. I checked more things I didn't know before about Idaho.

Because we have a fundamental disagreement about the role of the individual within society.
Can you explain, please?

19-03-2017, 09:31 PM
(19-03-2017 05:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 02:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Because we have a fundamental disagreement about the role of the individual within society.
Can you explain, please?

Really?

The Republicans are adhering to a 'fuck you, I've got mine' mentality. The rich fucks running the show have enough money to attend those posh Christies art auctions in New York, they can simply sidestep museums and gallerias and buy or commission art if they want it. They already got theirs. But for everyone else who doesn't? Everyone else who benefit from this woefully small and underfunded federal program? Fuck them, those millions can be funneled into the military-industrial complex so that Boeing can charge the government for another $800 toilet seat or $900 hammer; which only really benefits people who own stock in the military-industrial complex, incidentally the very same people cutting funding to the NEA.

Fuck everyone else who might benefit from the NEA, they already got theirs.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-03-2017, 12:56 AM
If there's no money to support art, no money to support the things that make being human a worthwhile pursuit, what exactly is the point?

We need to direct all our funds to war, agriculture, business and serious pursuits, so that we may continue to exist, so that we may continue to feed the economy... This is the best life that is possible. Anything else is frivolous. Get back to work, peasants!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
20-03-2017, 01:24 AM
Oh, c'mon, MD ... what do you have against squandering a fortune in the hopes of killing a few people who annoy you? I mean, really?
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-03-2017, 01:07 PM
(19-03-2017 05:03 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 02:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Because we have a fundamental disagreement about the role of the individual within society.
Can you explain, please?

Ayn Rand, Libertarianism, small government. It is an ideology. Add in supply side economics, science illiteracy and you get a poisonous brew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

"Starving the beast" is a political strategy employed by American conservatives to limit government spending[1][2][3] by cutting taxes, in order to deprive the federal government of revenue in a deliberate effort to force it to reduce spending.

The term "the beast", in this context, refers to the United States Federal Government, which funds numerous programs and government agencies using mainly American taxpayer dollars.[4] These programs include: education, welfare, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Defence.[3]
Total tax revenues as a percentage of GDP for the U.S. in comparison to the OECD and the EU 15.

On July 14, 1978, economist Alan Greenspan testified to the U.S. Finance Committee: "Let us remember that the basic purpose of any tax cut program in today's environment is to reduce the momentum of expenditure growth by restraining the amount of revenue available and trust that there is a political limit to deficit spending."[5]

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
20-03-2017, 03:39 PM
morondog Wrote:If there's no money to support art, no money to support the things that make being human a worthwhile pursuit, what exactly is the point?
Are you telling me that as soon as we don't have NEA it will be no more arts?!!

I also have a question: what arts are we talking about?

Once I watched local theater musical, I wanted to cry and leave. It was free because it was some arts week and public could view all kinds of performances free. But if I knew what kind of performance it is going to be I wouldn't come. It looked that I was the only one who didn't appreciate this "art". I believe that those who don't have an opportunity to watch anything better will have a very wrong idea what real art is. They will only know what parody of art is. If I have to give my money to support a parody I don't want to do this. My money are too sacred for this.
If I am wrong, please, tell me. It is possible I still don't understand what you are talking about.

20-03-2017, 03:41 PM

So, what is the role of the individual within society according to Democrats and what is the role of the individual within society according to Republicans?

20-03-2017, 03:42 PM
(18-03-2017 11:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  I believe that Trump supports education. He supports school choice. I like that he wants to introduce alternative education programs. Those programs are alternative to 4 year college. It sounds great.
Let me know where I am wrong.

Sounds like code words for church schools.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user