Kiss PBS goodbye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 05:59 PM
RE: Kiss PBS goodbye
(17-03-2017 12:42 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Damnit! I'm only 18 about to be 19, if they try and start a war and bring up forced drafting I'm fucking screwed!

Well maybe not, I am a women and Republicans are against women in the army. Small chance, but I'm still scared out of my mind. There's a reason not everyone joins the military out of highschool! I'm not some brainless sap who believed all the lies the recruiters told us. I actually thought, and realized, I'm not joining the military with the very high chance of a war being started. I guess I chose right *Looks at Trump in office*

Move to Canada before they make you register for the draft (unless you already are) then I still suggest you move to Canada. Or maybe Mexico where the famous wall will make sure Trump will not be able to retrieve you. The wall will make sure no one gets in or out, yeah, right.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2017, 06:30 PM
(18-03-2017 12:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 12:08 AM)Alla Wrote:  Why can't PBS survive without federal money?

PBS was intended to be a public resource, a place to get information without it having to kowtow to advertisers. Just how much science programming is actually on the Discovery Channel or the Science Channel? Not much, and you have to pay extra (cable or satellite) to get it. They cater to what gets them views, which is why they shown bad reality TV like Pawn Stars or stupid crank like Ancient Aliens, rather than programming that actually teaches you something. Why? It's all about the money.

Cutting off funding to PBS is like shutting down the local library, with the excuse that you can just buy your books at Barnes & Noble. Its a fundamentally different resource and service.

And don't forget the Learning Channel that started out providing at least a small bit of instructive programs before sliding over to pure entertainment.

Robert himself
[+] 1 user Likes Ro3bert's post
01-04-2017, 06:55 PM
(18-03-2017 12:08 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 11:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  Same thing with the wall - get some high tech surveillance over there and a bunch of patrol. It's cheaper and provides permanent employment. A wall is ridiculous in this day and age.
Yup. When I was at Ft. Huachuca, AZ in the 70's, we helped set up various electronic sensors to monitor known border crossings. There's a lot of tech employed along the border, and any group bigger than a couple of people is almost invariably detected. They are not always intercepted, because the terrain is rugged and patrols may be 30-45 minutes away. And Coyotes (the human kind) find out fast what times and places give them the most lead time. Tunnels. Crossings into private land where the patrols need the owner's permission to search. Cargo trucks with hidden compartments that cross at the border stations, and no wall will stop.

But for a mere $3 billion or so, we can have a 30 ft. wall, because people in Mexico don't understand the concept of ladders.

Added: Of course, all of that new tech will need a lot of new tech-savvy workers, which we will need to get from Mexico. Dodgy
http://www.nearshoreamericas.com/mexico-...-shortage/

If the "wall" we now have at the border is ineffective how is Trumps wall going to be more so? The only wall worth it's ability to stop infiltrating would be one that for the full length have its foundation down to bedrock for the whole length and be much higher than Trump believes is high enough.

The wall will never be paid for by Mexico they will just laugh when they get the bill and we will be stuck with the billions it will take to build it. Trumps wall is bullshit.

Robert himself
04-04-2017, 07:16 PM
(16-03-2017 03:07 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 03:01 PM)Dr H Wrote:  As far as NPR, I'm not that worried. They only get about 9% of their budget from federal appropriations through CPB:

From the link you provided.

Quote:Elimination of federal funding would result in fewer programs, less journalism—especially local journalism—and eventually the loss of public radio stations, particularly in rural and economically distressed communities.

Elimination of any funding from a non-profit results in fewer services, at least temporarily. As to the rest of it, that's a worst-case scenario, assuming that they are unable to back-fill a 9% loss, and costs continue to rise. Possible, certainly, but unlikely in an organization that's been around for so long, and grown so large.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
04-04-2017, 07:34 PM
(18-03-2017 10:59 AM)Alla Wrote:  Shouldn't the government be more wise with spending someone's money?

Yes, they should. They've been wasting my money on the damned Pentagon for decades, now.

--
Dr H

04-04-2017, 07:36 PM
(18-03-2017 11:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  I believe that we live in the world where it is important to send very strong message to countries like Russia, China, Iran. Building strong military is the kind of language Putin understands.
Be cheaper to massively hack the computer systems of the Kremlin.
I think Putin would understand that kind of message very well indeed.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
04-04-2017, 07:41 PM
(18-03-2017 12:08 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  But for a mere $3 billion or so, we can have a 30 ft. wall, because people in Mexico don't understand the concept of ladders.
You misunderstand Trump's master plan for putting Americans back to work.
We are going to start massively manufacturing ladders in the US, and selling them to Mexico.
It's brilliant. Big Grin

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
04-04-2017, 07:52 PM
(19-03-2017 11:59 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  The NEA has probably touched your life in a way you didn't even realize. It funds lots of 'little' projects as well as larger, nationwide projects.
People are so quick to scream "shut this down, government shouldn't be funding this shit!" without realizing they have very likely benefitted from these 'wasteful' programs.

Did you know the NEA funded a therapeutic art program for veterans with PTSD and emotional trauma? They were going to expand the program to open 12 centers across the country. Art has been proven to be an incredibly effective therapeutic tool.

https://www.arts.gov/partnerships/creative-forces
Defunding the NEA is a classic political sleight-of-hand distraction. Get the public all hot and bothered and frothing about 0.01% of the budget that funds a controversial work or two every couple of decades, so they're not paying attention when you start pumping up the 54% of the budget that goes for $500 hammers, $1200 toilet seats, and depleted uranium shells.

--
Dr H

04-04-2017, 07:58 PM
(19-03-2017 12:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  But I also believe this: if the program is good and praiseworthy it will survive.
One could make the same argument about the military.

If people really believe that a strong military is good and praiseworthy, then why can't the private sector support it directly with donations?

Y'know, maybe Bill O'Reilly could sponsor a couple of bake sales.

--
Dr H

04-04-2017, 08:03 PM
(21-03-2017 11:45 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Jesus’ last name was Marx? Laugh out load
Yeah, but he changed it to "Marks", after he moved to New York and started publishing popular Christmas carols.

Red scare in the publishing business, and all that.

--
Dr H