Kiss PBS goodbye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 08:13 AM
RE: Kiss PBS goodbye
My good friend is a YUGE trump supporter, we have avoided discussing politics to maintain our friendship.

However, what do we talk about? Masterpiece Theater and other PBS shows we love.

Consider Facepalm

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like ShadowProject's post
16-03-2017, 08:30 AM
that's going to be deliciously awkward.
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
16-03-2017, 08:39 AM
(16-03-2017 08:07 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  He's just keeping lockstep with the hard right:

[Image: early-warning-signs-of-fascism_a-g-51940...;amp;h=950]

If we count the alleged Russian involvement in your guys' election, then it looks like Trump has a full set.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-03-2017, 08:41 AM
(16-03-2017 07:21 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Department cuts
• Health and Human Services, the department responsible for implementing Obamacare and its proposed repeal, would face a $12.6 billion cut -- a 16.2% decrease.
• Environmental Protection Agency: $2.6 billion, or 31.4%.
• State Department: $11 billion, or 28.7%.
• Labor Department: $2.5 billion, or 20.7%.
• Agriculture Department: $5 billion, or 20.7%.
• US Army Corps of Engineers: $1 billion, a 16.3% cut.
• Other double-digit cuts include Commerce at 15.7%; Education at 13.5%; Housing and Urban Development at 13.2%; Transportation at 12.7%, and Interior at 11.7%.

Programs Trump proposes to eliminate
Trump's budget would eliminate funding for some small, independent agencies entirely:
• African Development Foundation
• Appalachian Regional Commission
• Chemical Safety Board
• Corporation for National and Community Service
• Corporation for Public Broadcasting
• Delta Regional Authority
• Denali Commission
• Institute of Museum and Library Services
• Inter-American Foundation
• US Trade and Development Agency
• Legal Services Corporation
• National Endowment for the Arts
• National Endowment for the Humanities
• Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation
• Northern Border Regional Commission
• Overseas Private Investment Corporation
• United States Institute of Peace
• United States Interagency Council on Homelessness
• Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Trump Wrote:I’ll be the greatest president for jobs that God ever created

Trump/Bannon's job cuts:

• Health and Human Services: 79,540 x 16.2% = 12,885
• Environmental Protection Agency: 15,376 x 31.4% = 4,828
• State Department: 69,000 x 28.7% = 19,803
• Labor Department: 17,450 x 20.7% = 3,612
• Agriculture Department: 105,778 x 20.7% = 21,896
• US Army Corps of Engineers: 37,000 x 16.3% = 6,031
• Commerce: 43,880 x 15.7% = 6,889
• Education: 4,400 x 13.5% = 594
• Housing and Urban Development: 8,416 x 13.2% = 1,111
• Transportation: 58,622 x 12.7% = 7,445
• Interior: 70,000 x 11.7% = 8,190

• African Development Foundation = 37
Note:
Quote:According to an annual survey of United States federal employees' job satisfaction, the African Development Foundation ranked lowest of all federal agencies surveyed with 18 percent of its employees saying they are satisfied with their jobs in 2015
Not happy with your job? Trump can fix that for yer!

OK, I'm too lazy to check out the rest but it's safe to assume that the Commissioners will probably have other board-level positions that provide them with an income and there will be a whole bunch of administrators, IT people and Project Managers looking for work.

So, total will be at least 76,000 people unemployed.

More proof that Murika's President-creating God is a cunt.

Dodgy

(16-03-2017 08:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  Where does all the cut money go? What has he increased funding for?

Bombs, tanks and planes.

$54 Billion Increase in Military Spending

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
16-03-2017, 08:49 AM
(16-03-2017 07:12 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Trump's new budget numbers are out. Among other things it has zero'd out funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. CPB is a private non-profit that gets almost all of it's $445 million budget from the government. It then turns most of those funds around and provides them to PBS and NPR in the form of grants and programming.

PBS and NPR have long been on the republican hit list. Mostly because their news programs deal more in facts than any of the private networks. Facts which often do not agree with the republican narrative.

Maybe. The budget as proposed, (just like the buffoon who proposed it) is preposterous. Will never pass. But just like Planned Parenthood (which Ivanka Trump likes), if the funding for NPR/PBS were to be dropped by the government it would immediately prompt a HUGE amount of philanthropic interest / donations / and additional support from their bases. I almost hope they do this. NPR doesn't need the money, thanks to Joan Kroc, and the idea that PBS might go away, if it were actually threatened, would prompt a huge inflow of donations and support from smaller givers who would not want to see its demise.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-03-2017, 09:02 AM
(16-03-2017 08:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 08:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  Where does all the cut money go? What has he increased funding for?

Bombs, tanks and planes.

He is stripping down the country and plans on using all the money to fund the wars he is planning, first together with Russia against Islamic countries, and, if Bannon has his way, China is next.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-03-2017, 09:07 AM
I hope you're right Bucky. I hope you're right. Because if you're wrong I'm grief stricken.

My life has been lived in the arts. It was my calling when I was 4 years old and saw the San Francisco Ballet. I wouldn't have known any other way to live my life besides dance and theatre. What else is there.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-03-2017, 09:11 AM

A yuuuge, stronger military. The increase in military spending is very nearly equal to the total cost of tuition collected by all 4 year public universities in 2014.

(Table 2 on page 6)
https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2016/2016005.pdf

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
16-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Also, I'm not sure how major PBS donors (including, ahem, the Koch brothers) would react to this.

If you pay attention to the "major funding provided by ..." line of pretty much any PBS program, it's a who's who of the super-elite and donor class.

So there's that.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
16-03-2017, 09:48 AM
(16-03-2017 07:12 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Trump's new budget numbers are out. Among other things it has zero'd out funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. CPB is a private non-profit that gets almost all of it's $445 million budget from the government. It then turns most of those funds around and provides them to PBS and NPR in the form of grants and programming.

PBS and NPR have long been on the republican hit list. Mostly because their news programs deal more in facts than any of the private networks. Facts which often do not agree with the republican narrative.

This is the point where the Grim Old Party's claim that "private parties will step in and take up the slack!" is tested. Much as it was tested in 2009. ("private parties" didn't take up the slack then, either.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user