Kiss PBS goodbye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 10:02 AM
RE: Kiss PBS goodbye
(16-03-2017 08:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  Where does all the cut money go? What has he increased funding for?

He wants to piss more money away on the military. As if they don't get enough already.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
16-03-2017, 10:20 AM
(16-03-2017 08:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Trump/Bannon's job cuts:

• Health and Human Services: 79,540 x 16.2% = 12,885
• Environmental Protection Agency: 15,376 x 31.4% = 4,828
• State Department: 69,000 x 28.7% = 19,803
• Labor Department: 17,450 x 20.7% = 3,612
• Agriculture Department: 105,778 x 20.7% = 21,896
• US Army Corps of Engineers: 37,000 x 16.3% = 6,031
• Commerce: 43,880 x 15.7% = 6,889
• Education: 4,400 x 13.5% = 594
• Housing and Urban Development: 8,416 x 13.2% = 1,111
• Transportation: 58,622 x 12.7% = 7,445
• Interior: 70,000 x 11.7% = 8,190

• African Development Foundation = 37
So, total will be at least 76,000 people unemployed.

Doesn't work that way. And it'll be a lot worse than 78,000, it just won't be the jobs Drmpf wants to get rid of. Other than the agencies who are cut completely, the others will absorb the cuts by reducing their contractor support. Government employees are the last to go. So not only will a couple hundred thousand jobs be lost, they will be private sector jobs, not government jobs. These people do not know what the fuck they are doing. Almost everything they do is counterproductive to their stated agenda.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Gawd forbid that people should watch a science program that conflicts with the fucked up trump assholes. Oh dear, we can't have classical music because it's brought to you by people who THINK. Or historical documentaries like the Civil War or many, many others that have been seen on PBS. This really blows!

Jackie Kennedy had her many faults but she really pushed to showcase the arts in the White House and felt that the nation's capital and the nation as a whole should have something of cultural importance, so she pulled people together to organize the National Cultural Center. The National Endowment for the Arts is a direct result of her interest in the arts. It really wasn't John Kennedy, it was Jackie. Christ! She would be spinning in her grave if she heard this.

Every nation that calls itself a great civilization has great art. When it crumbles so does it's interest in the arts.

trump is an asshole. I hate him. I just fucking hate him.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 8 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Is there a word stronger than hate? There needs to be, because I am so there.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
16-03-2017, 01:29 PM
(16-03-2017 10:20 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 08:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So, total will be at least 76,000 people unemployed.

Doesn't work that way. And it'll be a lot worse than 78,000, it just won't be the jobs Drmpf wants to get rid of. Other than the agencies who are cut completely, the others will absorb the cuts by reducing their contractor support. Government employees are the last to go. So not only will a couple hundred thousand jobs be lost, they will be private sector jobs, not government jobs. These people do not know what the fuck they are doing. Almost everything they do is counterproductive to their stated agenda.

Now that I think of it, if they really wanted to reduce the number of government employees in an agency they would give that agency so much money that the only way it could possibly spend it all is to double or triple its contractor support. Soon the idea of what constitutes an "inherently governmental duty" becomes blurred and the next thing you know you only need enough government employees to make sure the contractors get paid. At least that's what I'd do.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-03-2017, 02:15 PM
(16-03-2017 07:57 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  This really sucks ... Don't know what I'm gonna do without my daily News Hour fix ...
Not to mention Masterpiece Theater!!

And Sesame Street?!! Seriously???!! What are all those good'ol grandma's gonna think of the Republicans now?
I thought Romney found out the hard way that you don't mess with Big Bird!

And politically, it's just stupid. I suspect that eliminating PBS may lose them more voters than repealing the ACA

I thought Sesame Street was already off PBS--it's been sold to HBO.

Fuck puppet and his warmongering, polluter-friendly budget, though.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
16-03-2017, 03:01 PM
As far as NPR, I'm not that worried. They only get about 9% of their budget from federal appropriations through CPB:

Public Radio Finances

As a grantwriter who's worked with non-profits, I know than losing 9% is not insignificant; it's a blow that would be felt sorely. But I also know that for an organization the size of NPR, it's a survivable hit. They may have some hard times ahead for the next few years, as they scramble to find other funders to back-fill the gap, but I think they'll be able to do it, and they'll come out stronger in the end.

If nothing else, it should be an instigation for those who listen through the pledge-drives but never contribute, to get off their duffs and get out their checkbooks.

PBS gets a little more from the feds through CPB -- about 12% of their annual revenues:

2015 PBS Financial Report

But the situation here is more critical, since many PBS stations receive their funding directly from CPB -- almost 2/3's of CPB's allocation goes to local affiliate stations. The big impact here is that, while PBS itself will likely survive, many communities may lose their local PBS affiliate stations.

OTOH, I don't expect Trump's first dip into the budget pool to pass -- no president's ever has. We are likely to see a "yuge" and protracted battle here.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
16-03-2017, 03:07 PM
(16-03-2017 03:01 PM)Dr H Wrote:  As far as NPR, I'm not that worried. They only get about 9% of their budget from federal appropriations through CPB:

From the link you provided.

Quote:Elimination of federal funding would result in fewer programs, less journalism—especially local journalism—and eventually the loss of public radio stations, particularly in rural and economically distressed communities.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
16-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Yes, some of the smaller and rural public stations get like 90% funding from the government. Kiss those bye bye.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
16-03-2017, 03:38 PM
(16-03-2017 01:17 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Is there a word stronger than hate? There needs to be, because I am so there.

"Frangry" is taken. Thanks, Weasel! Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post